8 Deluxe and 3-4 Ultra

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by butz, Jul 29, 2007.

1. butz

butz slippery when wet

They say that for Classics 2.0 there will 8 new deluxe molds and 3-4 Ultra for '08. So far we're pretty much confrimed with:

Deluxes:
    1. Sunstreaker
    2. Sideswipe

Ultras:
    1. Octane

So who is most likely going to fill in the blanks here? (looking for most logical possibilities rather than simply who you want to see.)
    Jazz was stated to be a likely candidate (I would assume he'd be a deluxe). They said that there will be a Galvatron figure who isn't a Megs repaint (he would probably be an Ultra) but the question comes up as to whether he'd make it on the '08 roster or not?
    Well, lets see what we come up with here. Obviously theories based on known information are prefered over wild, blind speculation here.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

We were told nearly everyone at Botcon. Triple Changers, Ironhide/Ratchet, Prowl/SS/SS...

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Here's my list of what I hope gets released:

Deluxes:
    -Sunstreaker
    -Sideswipe
    -Prowl
    -Silverstreak
    -Smokescrean
    -Jazz
    -Ironhide
    -Cosmos

Ultras:
    -Octane
    -Galvatron
    -Blaster
    -Omega Supreme

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Octane's a deluxe, I assumed when they said triple changers they only meant the Decepticon ones. Though Springer and the others are possible I guess. Ironhide with the Ratchet redeco are in there. Can't remember which of the Fairlady trio was mentioned but it was brought up for the repaint / remold potential to get all three (expect maybe a similar thing with the three jets - maybe Prowl and Smokescreen in the line, Silverstreak as a part of a two pack like Skywarp).

Ultras only one I know for certain is a new mold Galvatron.

What is out is anything that is showing up in TF Animated. They don't want the same guys on shelves together. Not sure where that leaves Ratchet, possibly a later assortment. Prowl was specifically said to be exempt since he's a bike in Animated and a police car in Classics, so he is different enough. Definately ruled out were Insecticons and the rest of the Dinobots - I'll even suggest that Grimlock was in the planning stages as far back as Classics Grimlock, hence why Classics Grimlock was so different (could also be Energon Grimlock being close to an original style and Hasbro wanted something different, though)

5. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I thought I read somewhere that Octane was going to be an Ultra.

Really the 3 they showed at SDCC would be the ones I'm looking for. I guess if they make a kick-ars Ironhide, I'd probably have to get him or a Springer. Cyclonus would be cool for the Decepticon side.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah, I remember Hasbro distinctly saying that Octane would be an ultra.

Of the one's we know of/have been rumored, I'd say I am most excited about Octane and Prowl, Galvatron should be cool as well.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hmm, must have misheard. Well, no harm there! I'm excited about Galvatron. Although my current Classics storyline uses his Energon version, I've worked out how to get him downgraded. Though I'm getting way ahead of myself, I'm not even done with mission one of act one yet!

8. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really hope Octane is a deluxe. I figure we'll get Astrotrain repainted in show colors to go along with Octane and animated Blitzwing at some point. And we need Cyclonus (and Scourge, but the Titanium figure may prevent him) to go with Galvatron. For Autobots, I expect to see Arcee, and Kupp or Blurr, and Springer eventually. Ironhide and Ratchet will appear, plus Prowl recolors Blue(silver!)streak and Smokescreen. Jazz would be nice, as would Goldbug (new head for Classics Bumblebee and hes done IMO).

I hope we see a Rodimus Prime figure that is to scale with the Galvatron that is supposed to be coming. Then there will probably be a long lull in that scale, tho they might recolor Enegron Scorponok into G1 colors. I'd like to see an Omega Supreme that omits the track, but keeps the tank, rocket and rocket base. The tank could make a decent robot on its own and add the base as leg armor and the rocket as arm attachements.

+-MWG-+

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, based on all the old Botcon threads Octane was stated to be in the planning stages for an Ultra. However, I noticed that on the slide they don't have ANY scale listed next to him unlike all the other figures. It's quit possible that they really haven't decided what they're doing there yet as they originally nixed the Ultra price point (damned thing NEEDS to stay gone in my opinion). Frankly, I'd prefer a deluxe scaled version so he'll be more in scale with Astrotrain, however, I won't go apenuts if he is an Ultra. I'm just not a fan of that scale. Please Hasbro... LET IT DIE!

We know Sideswipe and Sunstreaker are definently coming and, according to the panel image, it looks as though Sunstreaker is planned to come out first with Sideswipe being a later redeco. So, IMPO, it's questionable whether Sideswipe will be in the first wave of 8 or not, but I guess it's possible given the amoung of time before the end of 2008.

As for other speculation, I remember from the Botcon threads that a lot of possibilities were mentioned by the design team of guys they'd like to do. Along with the mention that anyone that's in the current line up for Animated won't be making an appearance in the Classics/Universe line. They also mentioned some redecos in the first wave, but whether that ment repaints from the former Classics line (very possible) or just repaints from other figures from the new first wave was never really stated.

Also, many character names were thrown around... along with the idea that they were largely choosing characters with definent repaint/remold potential so they can make the mold go farther.

They mentioned an Ultra Class Galvatron who isn't a repainted Megatron, but an all new mold.

They also mentioned Prowl (he'd be an exception sense he's a totally different looking character in Animated being a ninja bike and all) with a repaint/slight remolding into Silverstreak and than 'probably' a Smokescreen down the road at some point.

Ironhide was brought up in being a good possability to be in the first line up with a Ratchet remold/repaint coming much later so that he doesn't show up on the shelves at the same time as his Animated counterpart.

They suggested that they wanted to do Jazz and Arcee, but (and this is personal conjecture based on what we DO know) they are both slated for the Animated line so, unless they're wildly different like Prowl is, I'd say we won't see them until the 09 line of Classics/Universe. If we do get a Jazz I guess they could repaint him into Ricochet, but I don't see that being at the foremost of their minds... afterall the other two versions of this 'sought after character' didn't really sell that well did they? :lol 

It was also mentioned that IF we did see other Dinobots in Classics it wouldn't be the Dinobots that are in Animated... so no Slag or Swoop. But, given that statement, it seems totally plausable that we could see Sludge and Snarl (most probably in the deluxe price point), but whether they'd make it into the 8 is questionable... though, if they chose to do them, putting them out at the same time as the Animated Dinobots release would be a very GOOD idea as a cross marketing thing for the kids while pushing the whole Dinobots thing.

The only other thing that I remember from the Botcon threads was that it was stated that Hasbro would eventually like to do all of the Triple Changers. We've got Astrotrain, Octane is coming and Blitzwing is making an appearance in Animated so he's not likely anytime soon. The only others that come to mind are Springer, Broadside and Sandstorm. My hopes for these? Springer and Sandstorm as deluxes with Broadside getting the Ultra treatment (being a giant aircraft carrier he'd actually fit in with this price point though I'm not a fan of it). If we get a Blitzwing eventually (because Animated's design looks very different from any design I'd want to put in with my Classics) I'd again like him to be a deluxe so he didn't tower over Astrotrain.

Other than that a lot of wild speculation has been going around based on the whole statement of them wanting to choose characters based solely on their repaint/remold potential. So, I guess a Red Alert from Sideswipe is probably possible down the road some as he'd need only minor retooling for his lightbar. You could do Brawn and repaint him to Outback. Gears with a repaint into Swerve. Huffer with a repaint into Pipes. Laserbeak into Buzzsaw. Rumble into Frenzy. Trailbreaker into Hoist. Windcharger into Tailgate. Runabout into Runamuck. Inferno into Grapple... basically anyone who was a repaint/remold in G1 seems to be getting at least some serious consideration (more some than others I'm sure) based on Hasbro's own statements.

They also mentioned that they DID have plans for a new combiner mold, but that they currently weren't working on it at the moment. Whether this was going to be for the Classics line (would fit nicely into the Ultra price point as a set) or for Animated was never actually stated by Hasbro when they answered the question.

Ultimately, what I'd like to see for 08:

Deluxes:
    1. Sunstreaker
    2. Sideswipe
    3. Ironhide
    4. Prowl
    5. Springer
    6. Sunstorm
    7. Cyclonus
    8. Runabout

Ultras:
    1. Octane
    2. Galvatron
    3. Rodimus Prime
    4. Star Saber (hey, the Japanese exclusives need some lovin' too!)

10. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Four Ultras? Octane, Galvatron, Inferno, Sludge

8 Deluxes? Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Ratchet, Ironhide, Prowl, Smokescreen, Bluestreak, Cyclonus.

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    There will be an Ultra Magnus that isn't a repaint of Prime. However whether he will be in Classics or Animated remains to be seen, we know for sure there is an Ultra Magnus in Animated. If there is indeed a Magnus in Classics, I'd have to say he will be an Ultra. Also remember folks, there is a year and some months before Classics returns, some figures we have not heard of may be in the works as we speak. There might be room for another triple changer. BTW I do remember the panel reports indicating Octane is an Ultra. Only tformers.com this week said he was a deluxe, yet other more accurate reports such as from actionfigs.com say he is an Ultra. I say Ultra.

I hope Scorponok is an Ultra next year. He is a triple changer too!

12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I wonder, would anyone object to a new smaller Fortress Maximus? I certainly wouldn't.

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    From Actionfigs.com's panel report:

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    As long as he looked cool, I wouldn't complain aobut the smaller size. I know it's a pipe dream, but, I think that it would be awesome if the new combiner is Bruticus, whit all new molds.

15. butz

butz slippery when wet

Hmm ... I hadn't heard of Jazz being in animated until now; just that he was "likely" for Classics.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I want a Classics Skidz.

17. Junior

Junior Wise Beyond My Years TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think Ultra Magnus is a strong possibility for this line. The could also do a Diaclone repaint.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just gimme a Classics Jazz and no one gets hurt. :ev: 

19. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

What do I want?

Deluxe: Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Ironhide, Prowl, Bluestreak, Cyclonus, Shrapnel, Brawn

Ultra: Octane, Snarl, Sludge, Galvatron

An Ultra Motormaster with Deluxe Stunticons could work too. (Combining optional.)

Motormaster = Prime repaint
    Breakdown = Sideswipe repaint
    Dragstrip = Mirage repaint
    Deadend = Bumblebee repaint (or a Sunstreaker repaint)
    Wildrider = Bluestreak repaint

20. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

I'm certainly hoping that both Skids and Ricochet are banned forever from returning to shelves after killing two former collector's lines.

Knowing that Skids's function could appropriately be listed as "Autobot Shelfwarmer" and that the fanbase does not take kindly to Ricochet, how could they possibly commit the folly of releasing both of them in the same wave of a struggling line?

Skids is one of the most intriguing Autobot Cars, but he signals the impending doom of a line.