Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Throwback, May 23, 2007.

1. Throwback

Throwback Well-Known Member

I've seen the previews, and I've watched the trailers, and the one dreaded thought that keeps running through my my is: This movie's gonna suck. I'm getting the impression that this movie has all the makings of a big budget action flick with lots of explosions, small charactorization, and an even smaller story line. The robots in the trailers look so, so , so, un-personified (if that's a word). I'm hoping that the writers can make us understand the charactors, from their motives, their origins, and to their destinies. Here's to the movie not sucking like Superman Returns and really kicking talepipe the way Batman Begins did.

2. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Now see, I liked Superman returns alot more than Batman begins... so I'm hoping TFs is more like Superman. But hey thats just my opinion and I look forward to seeing TFs on the big screen... probably many times, which btw, will be the first ever for me, I have never watched a movie more than a single time in theatre.

3. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

You have mistaken TF for "Die Hard 4", a generic sequel to a generic action flick.
    This movie has giant, sentient, transforming beings of two factions each with their own unique personality, an original concept never been done before in live action film history. That alone is worth watching this movie.

Burn me at the stake for saying this: but from what I've seen, these bots have more personality, and can express it even better, than any previous TF cartoon series has given us to date.

4. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Superman returns to me was *meh* but I own it..Christopher Reeves can't be replaced...

But as far as seeing movies more than one time in a theater...the only time I have ever done such a proposterous thing was:

The Matrix...3X....I loved it....never again since then have I seen a movie worth the money....LOTR: almost....but no cigar...

5. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I've never seen a movie more then once in the theatre. But, I may do so with Transformers. Hell, it has GIANT FREAKIN' ROBOTS, blowing CRAP UP! HOW could that be a BAD thing?

6. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

Let's be frank about this. TF is a Michael Bay movie about giant robots beating the crap out of each other. Oh, and they can transform too.

We go into the cinemas to watch the best explosions and CGI Hollywood can offer. That's it. And there's nothing wrong with it. Don't buy a ticket expecting emotive thespian performances or depth of character. Expect stunning CG, light humor and exhilarating action sequences. TF is the ultimate summer popcorn movie and it makes no attempt to hide that. So let's just relax ... and let "their war" begin.

7. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Word.....

8. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But..I thought it was supposed to be an ultra-realistic masterpiece that's very mature, intelligent, "outside the box", and not made to sell toys at all!!!!!!1111 :p 

But yeah, I'm looking forward to it. People expecting anything more than a CG explosion fest are likely going to be dissapointed. Unless I'm wrong and Bay totally changed his style.

9. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

It took the G1 universe some time to reach it's story-telling 'peak' (whatever that was, but people keep going on about the deep, intelligent story-telling!). The G1comics and cartoons had none of that to start with and yet we fell in love with them anyway (for the most part).

Anyone expecting this movie, essentially a blank slate to introduce a new generation to the concept, to even remotely touch upon that were doomed to be disappointed from the get go.

Bogging down a 2-hour summer 'event' movie with back-story and sacrificing action in favour of in-depth characterisation would have been commercial suicide: The people attracted to a giant-robot movie called TRANSFORMERS, rightly or wrongly, won't be expecting that.
    The expanded universe we all take for granted will come over time, but first we need to be "in your face impressive" with the first instalment to get those new fans hooked.

10. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Well as far as what Ive seen, it looks to me like they do have motives.....megatron, control of the universe,
    optimus saving the universe,
    barricade, in attempt to annhilate BB,
    BB get his throat back,
    brawl eliminate the autobot rising, donecrusher...not sure yet,
    SS to take control of the decepticon army,
    Ironhide to help prime fight the cons,
    ratchet care taker and nurse of the army,

These are the ones Ive gotten so far.

11. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

TF doesn't need too much backstories cos its not mutants or superheros running the show ... but alien robots. How much character can we expect from a robot hiding as a GMC truck? I'd be very happy if each TF is given adequate screen time and some hint of characterization i.e Jazz = cool, Ironhide = grizzled etc.

What I do fear is Brawl and Barricade vanishing or being disposed of too quickly. It'd be such a shame if they appear for a couple of scenes before disappearing.

12. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I agree. That was my point.
    There's no way we can have the level of "character development" that some of the more hardcore fans seem to automatically expect. It took more than just a handful of episodes that constituted G1 cartoon pilot to really know these 'people', so expecting a 2-hour movie to deliver when it has to introduce the concept to an adult audience, incorporate human characters to relate to, and have expensive action scenes on top of that, was expecting too much.

13. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

[​IMG]

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...and the point of posting that is?

15. phreakybot

phreakybot Well-Known Member

you can be frank, I'll be Nate.

don't get me wrong... I agree with you.:D 

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Exactly. I never understand the people who want quality storytelling "Like in G1" :lol  They must have been watching a different cartoon...

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    First off, Transformers never had much depth until the comics gave them depth. Second, although G1 is awesome and will always be the best, this isnt G1!!!!! So stop comparing them to that. If we were able to to adjust to Beast Wars and Armada which I think were horrible, then we can adjust to this which is pretty cool actually.

18. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I have a feeling that we will be able to empathize pretty well with the robots. Especially when one of them that we care about dies in the movie.

19. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

Didn't really need to know that if it's true but whatever.

I just hope they strike a good balance. It's possible to get good characterization without sacrificing the action and vise versa. If everyone wants 100% action we'd be better off playing the TF video game. And even in games they manage to throw characterization into them. Otherise why even have actors in movie if all you want is explosions?

While I'm not expecting Thespian type performance from the bots I do want them to portray some sort of emotion. They are supposed to be living sentient beings afterall.

20. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

QFT...I mean movies like DH4 are IMPO a dime a dozen. As there are numerous action flicks. That while they are different are in some ways clones of each other.

Transformers is different, the only live action giant robot movie I can think of is Robot Jox from the 80's. That alone to me is a major draw, people will want to see how these look on the big screen and how they move. And judging from the TV spots and trailers...these Transformers move pretty damn good.

And in terms of storytelling, it's a 2 hour movie w/apparantly a few different plot points that come together at the end. It'd be extremely hard to flesh out the Transformers in that time frame. IMO the reason movies like Batman Begins and Spiderman and X-Men pull it off is because they already HAD that. So it's just a matter of taking that and putting it on the big screen