6" Titanium, Universe and Alternators - which shouldn't have been cancelled?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Universe meaning the old Universe full of repaints, not the upcoming Universe next year.

I'd vote for Titanium. New molds based on classic characters from the whole of the Transformers mythos with a variety of alternate molds and the flaws that plagued the early toys were being ironed out with the last few new molds that saw release.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Honestly, I don't really miss any of them.

Universe was never all that great of a line, as most of the repaints were done by someone with incredibly poor taste in colors. It was getting better towards the end, but not nearly enough to be worth saving.

Alternators was a fantastic line, but I think it really reached the end of its natural lifespan. Distribution and sales were both terrible, several of the later molds were clearly inferior to the older ones, and a lot of the character choices just started getting random.

Titanium still had a lot of potential, but the line never managed to rise above its quality control problems.

3. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Titanium shouldn't have been cancelled before WW Prowl or Grimlock, that much I can say. I did like the story concept of the original Universe line, but it was as poorly executed as Titanium, IMO (but then I was never a fan of bringing back die-cast anyway). I hope with this new Universe line, Hasbro wises up and re-casts the Titanium 6" WW figures in plastic, maybe add some battle damage to differentiate them from the original versions, give us WW Bumblebee and replace that flimsy WW Jetfire with a battle-damaged Classics/"Stormbringer" version.

Alternators - eh. I'm not saying that line should have been cancelled, but personally, I don't miss'em. Especially in the wake of the movie line.

4. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Universe. I didn't care for the titaniums, or the alternators.

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Titanium.
    I just loved the character choices for 'em!
    G1 Scourge, G1 Ultra Magnus, WW Megatron etc.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Alternators. If they had even just 2-3 new molds to work with and decided to ever release characters that people actually wanted, I think it still had a lot of potential. Great alt modes, great bot modes (usually), near perfect homages to the original G1 characters, and the larger sizes made this one of the all time best TF lines ever imo.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Surprisingly I'm saying Universe. The ideas were getting better towards the end of the line. I also liked that they didn't stick with just one line to repaint. I'm hoping they use a few old molds for Universe 2 (though I do hope it's primarily comprised of new Classics molds).

Alternators: Great at first, utter shit at the end (with the exception of Mirage)

Titanium: They got better towards the end as well, but not good enough. If the molds had've been plastic they would have been fantastic. Die-Cast killed the line which is ironically what the entire thing was all about.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Alts or Titaniums. I'm just getting back into Titaniums and realizing how good all of the ones after the first two really are, and Alts are pretty much mini-masterpieces.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Alternators all the way. I don't regret the demise of Titaniums at all (except for the fact that it died before Skywarp and WW Grimlock.... sigh). Universe always confused me, it was such a dumping ground. The upcoming Universe line will almost certainly be superior.

But Alternators.... I wish they could have gone on for another half-dozen waves or so. They had a good run, and of course the line had its problems (adherence to licensed car modes, expensive engineering, etc.). And if I had to choose between Classics and Alts surviving, I'm glad things went the way they did. But I sure wish there were funds and fanbase enough for both lines to continue.

10. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Alternators. If Hasbro had just done Megatron, and the Jaguar and Civic repaints (Steeljaw and Frenzy?)I would've been more than happy. Still, it's done now.

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alternators were world's better than any 6" or Universe figures. By the way, Universe is coming back in 2008.

12. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

alternators nevermind that binaltechs. DIE freakin' CAST. i wish hasbore did not discontinue this line. it was the first line i bought since the 80's. it made me want to pick one up at toys r us and did. repaints do sell but it helps the line a little. if it was not cancelled, i would hope for more licensed cars, Hummer, mitsubishi, nissan, toyota etc... so much potential. even better. mimicking more day to day objects, a DSLR reflector, a plasma screen soundwave lol, recognizable guns, planes, etc. i've bought classics, titaniums in order to quench my thirst for more but too bad , except for the MP series, nothing even compares. tf lines should mimick their alt modes more while fine tuning the details and everything continuing what diaclones and original toys started. blah and blah and more blah... all i get is a quantity of more lame crap like classics devastator.

13. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Titanium all the way, most wasted potential in a line EVAH!
    DN

14. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    ALTERNATORS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With new moulds (and they had licenses for vehicles that they never used) and some distibution tweeks, they had a line of figures that could have easily lasted 2 to 3 more years.

15. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Alts, and titaniums with better joints (not floppy)

16. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Universe, don't care.

Titanium, serious joint problems, but some decent figures here and there.
    Alternators, too many damn repaints :horse: 

17. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
    im sad to see the titaniums go, i would have loved to see arcee and shockwave... :drool: 

18. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would love Alts back, and Titaniums if they could sort out the QC issues. Universe never made it over here, I didn't feel like I missed out on much if pics were anything to go by (minus the RiD car bros repaints).

19. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Alternators just because I have so much respect for the design and engineering behind them. Those were beautiful toys (though I only own a couple).

20. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Though I must admit to being sad to see Titaniums go the way they did considering I'm going to get 100% of what was released and would love to have seen not only Prowl and Grimlock, but Primal Prime and Soundblaster just because.
    I will state that I am not sad to see Alternators go and would much preferred seeing Universe continue if only because not only would we have gotten the Seacons, but I'm dieing to know what they were planning with some of those unreleased listings we got. I would have loved to have seen them repaint the last two Vehicon molds not repainted, Thrust and Motorcycle Drone. Plus a few more repaints of BMach Maximals, those molds do not get near enough the respect they deserve.

Not to mention Universe's story appealed greatly to the fanfic author inside of me, I've been working on back stories for all of the characters involved and some not involved and it's just way too much fun to ever truly stop.

Though realistically Universe never truly died thanks to Family Dollar and all those stores, they really got lackluster since they never repainted any of those. I never really saw much wrong with the Universe repaints, and one of these days I'll have them all truly.
    Anyway Universe is first and Titaniums second as far as lines I would have liked to see continue if only for a few more releases that were planned. Alternators I didn't really care for because I always preferred to transform and play not just display my figures... And Alternators are complex frustrations in certain respects, since Grimlock always loses his doors when I transform him no matter what I try.