Minor/Repaint: 6 months in the making, I finally finished alt. hoist

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ckhtiger, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

after seeing sculpt-bot's alt. hoist last year, I knew I had to make one. so after perusing his thread I acquired, and would like to thank the following:

chaos muffin for the g1 hoist for the head and gun
    miketsi for the landmine that I used for the towing mechanism
    delta of reprolabels for the side stickers
    and sculpt-bot for the insight

it took a long time to do this, just painting everything right, and it took forever to find the right shade of krylon fusion for the body. my big difference from the other versions of alt. hoist using this mold is the fact that I couldn't bring myself to cut apart the towing mechanism from landmine, because it has the cool transforming sound. so I just cut it so it fit in the bed of the truck just by folding down the spoiler and tailgate a little. I also wanted to leave the back of the truck intact, which is why I didn't take off the spoiler.

as far as the "wings" that go on hoist's back in bot mode, I wanted them to be able to attach on the side of the bed mechanism, so I didn't cut them at all to attach them to hoist. instead I got high powered magnets from K&J magnetics. these things are rediculous. they cost about a quarter each and are super strong. there's two magnets under the roof, and the other two magnets are visible in the backside picture. while they are off at an unattractive angle, they could fit just right so they were flat. I just got tired of fiddling with them.

after finishing him in bot mode, I went to transform him to truck to work on the bed and found out that I had put so much paint on him that the pieces didn't match up together, and there were huge gaps in the panels. so I had to disassemble him and sand down any attachment pegs/slots and put him back together. I got most of it to fit but you can see the gap in the back bumper, which is actually because I couldn't get the metal post for the tailgate back in properly.

so here's a ton of pics, and as always I'd appreciate critiques and criticisms. I hope you all aren't too tired of seeing this custom yet. :p 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Very cool! Those paint apps are flawless, very smooth.
    All the hard work paid off.....the proof is in your pics.

3. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Absolutely beautiful!

4. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

No words to describe it. Nicely done.

5. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I love him...you did a wonderful job... :thumb 

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Freaking AWESOME!!!!

7. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

That's hawt. He still has the engine gun? And his repair stuff just sits to the side in bot mode, yes?

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

All your efforts came out very nice, man. Smooth as new protoforms ass....

9. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    just perfect

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yup, still has his engine gun, but I thought it looked out of place with his G1 gun. and yes, the repair stuff just sits in the back. it fits quite nicely, I just had to dremel saw away part of it so it would fit.

I'm glad you guys like him! there are some minor flaws in the paint, so it makes me happy that ya'll think it looks so nice. I dropped him on a dirty concrete floor when I was putting on the initial coat, and had to work extra hard to get it off.

11. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Great job I am very impressed. I would buy that from you anytime.

12. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Badass!

13. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Note to Hasbro: make this your next alt!

14. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I think your paint job came out great. I love seeing all these alt mods but I'm too busy with other bashes to start any more. Lucky that it wasn't the final coat of paint when you dropped it.
    Of course, there has to be a complaint. I think the hoist from Landmine looks good with the truck but I think you need to fit it in the bed better. It looks odd with the smaller battery under the wider base. (are the spoilers needed for leg support, They need to be removed for tow truck) You can attach a different battery compartment or rearrange the origonal set up, with a little wire to extend the power. all you need to do is keep the voltage the same so other size batteries might work better. You can also move the sound buttons around the same way. (The crane would look better displayed at an angle.)

It also seems like there should be some kind of mechanism that would allow you to attach the wings to the back windshield area and then allow them to swing up for bot mode. The magnets are a good idea though.

These are only my opinions and what really matters is, are you happy with it?

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

actually, I just realized something. I had given credit to sodawilly for being my inspiration, but it was acutally sculpt-bot, although sodawilly's was really nice too.

here's sculpt-bot's thread:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=103258

and here's sodawilly's
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122575

but anyway, sculpt-bot did a nice job making the hoist fit inside the bed, but in order to do so removed the electronics. doing more like what you said is beyond my realm. it would actually be really hard to do the wings in a way that they could flip up, yet still be permanently attached to the vehicle. see the above two posts for other solutions.

but you're right, when it's all said and done, I'm very happy with it.

16. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Just beautiful! :thumb 

17. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Do you have the crane unit sitting on the bed of the truck or is it elevated some?
    If you removed the spoilers and trimmed the wide end of the wings (to match the angle of the cab) It would look better. Then you could shut the tailgate.

I almost busted my Landmine crane pack, into pieces, trying to get the batteries out. Every snap off piece came off and I almost shot myself inthe face with the missile. They are in series but they don't say what the voltage is. If I needed to I could probably find out (online) but it won't help anyway (for space)since the speaker is located right beside it. You are not able to use the transforming sound when the crane is in that position. you could remove the small gun (maybe make it into a handheld gun) and then cut a hole were the button is located. You could also maybe remove the rotating piece and mount the crane directly on the base.

There has to be a joint that would let you mount the wing on the back window and let the wings flip up. Maybe the joints from the plow of Landmine. The Alts have lots of joints that might also work, IF you really wanted to make these changes. Just wanted to point out the possibilitys.

Yours is better with the battery pack, than the other ones, but I think it could be tweaked a little. Keep up the good work.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Top notch work man! :thumb 

19. Baby Bumblebee

Baby Bumblebee Well-Known Member

wow thats awsome

20. Bantor

Bantor Active Member

Beyond awesome man by far my favorite alt. custom