Customs: 6 foot dev possible!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really want to do this one but cannot afford it BUT at big lots they have 2 foot long construction vehicles made of plastic. They have every vehicle for g1 devastator!

Little paint here, scratchbuilding there and bam! Sadly each one is 20 dollars. I just hope they're all there if I get the money. After looking at them up close I got goosebumps.

I can't find pics but they were in a mid aisle set up near toys and the back of the packages show all the vehicles though the Crane's picture was missing but it was in front of me so I knew it was part of the set. The same crane as the original Dev. These are the size of the original Tonkas. SOMEONE DO THIS!

Ah here they are:

http://www.brudertoys.com/Accessori...s,-Wheel-Barrow,-and-Pylons/product_info.html

Bruder construction toys.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Have you checked out KingBotz's devie? It's pretty awesome. But one thing that I think hampered it was the fact that he used the original tonka trucks, and all there metal. this would solve some of that.
    But the thing that I think is pretty funny, is hook would still need alot of work to....work.
    But only $20 each? really? that's way cheaper than I would think.
    What scale would this be i wonder?

Randy!

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Your not the only one with this idea. But Bigbot asked a good question, what scale is this, and are they all the same size? They don't necessarily have to be same scale to each other as G1 Devy is not, but should be same sizes. It's hard to tell by just looking at the picture.

4. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The ones I saw were on scale with each other going by cab size. That would be the blue cement mixer, the crane and a dump truck.

Two advantages to this are:

It's plastic and easier to work with then metal

They're big so actual modding is a million times easier to do since the parts would be bigger.

I do think Styrene wouldn't be a good idea for the mods to make them turn to robots but I think you can get sheets of similar type plastic. Personally I couldn't believe the detail on these things. Not to mention a search showed them going for 50 to 60 online. Wish I had custom samples so I could get someone to commission me for this.

Whoever does do it should get Frenzy/Rumble to paint it up :) 

5. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pics of what they offer that are the vehicles of Devastator G1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The site has info on dimensions as well. 16 was the lowest I saw for length and 22 inches was the longest.

Attached Files:

6. Bigbot3030

true, you are not limited to size, but weight becomes a big issue. When i made my Primus, I did everything I could to use lightweight materials, but it still came out heavy, and he's only a couple feet tall. And joints would have to be scrathbuilt. You are correct, you wouldn't be able to use styrene for the big panels, but you can get acyrlic and ABS in lots of sizes.

So are you saying you found these at biglots for $20, but elsewhere they are 50-60? Did i read that right?

If you can, next time you go into biglots, measure the length of one of the vehicles (make the cement mixer?) and we can work backwards and try to find the scale. I've been trying to find a decent donor vehicles for awhile. i know someone else (wikkid?) has amassed all the right model kits, all in or at 24th scale. this could be a cheaper faster option.
    Those toys look well made, and would hold up well.

Randy!

Edit: just saw your note about dimensions being on the site. will try and work out scale later.

7. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would suspect weight as an issue as well. The thing would be engineering a way to stabilize it with a bigger footprint at the bottom and strong joints. The feet would be easier as all you need is a balance lever to counter the forward weight (where most of it will most likely go). This could easily be incorporated into the bot design. Also adding weight to the two feet/legs.

I did a google shop search and that's where I saw these go for crazy amounts. It looks like there may be 5 to 10 per store so you may have to hit different locations or have hunters get them from their local stores. Though I imagine shipping would be pricey.

The hands would be super easy to make and if your an artist the head wouldn't be hard either and styrene could be used there. Forearms can be modded pencil or tool boxes. Styrene chest piece and weapon.

8. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

I wanna see this happen!

9. Pimp My Toy

Pimp My Toy AKA Jimster

Ebay:
    Nice. Now we just need to find a 6ft Unicron for the thighs and forearms ;) 

10. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I get my devy project underway I am avoiding that like the plague. I have always hated the popeye arms on a lot of devy's. It doesn't resemble any devastator from any universe.

At this scale the alternatives are a bit more open and freeing luckily. Not to mention the hands. Custom built would be a dream to build and like butta but in the off chance you can't:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Bigbot3030

12. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It's definitely every bit possible, but VERY expensive and time-consuming. I think this one took me about 6 or 7 months working on and off. I wouldn't recommend making one out of all plastic trucks though, they wouldn't hold up under the weight because you have no choice but to use heavy-duty materials to hold it together. That's the beauty of Tonkas, they have metal, but their plastic is strong as hell, too. There's just as much scratch-build involved with this as there are trucks. A transformable Tonka-sized Devastator is possible too, I've done 4 prototypes, 2 are pictured here....but it was too damn heavy, time-consuming and expensive to make it happen, so I didn't pursue it. If these Bruder trucks are roughly the same size as Tonkas, you can only expect it to be about 5'4" tall, and it will cost roughly $400 or $500 to build at least. I considered those same robotic hands at one point, but they're not in scale...so I scratch-built the hands to make it look right. Here's a link to the full gallery of the 2nd one I did. KINGBOTZ DEVASTATOR

Attached Files:

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  14. 2002stanggt

2002stanggt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow that's crazy!

15. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I love that Bonecrusher! He was always my favorite Constructicon figure. I thought he looked best in both modes and in robot mode, he looked the most proportional. Your Bonecrusher is freaking amazing!

16. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok, went to the local big lots today to see if any new swag was there and saw these suckers there (other time was in the big city).

They are metal and heavy duty plastic. The paint on them makes them look plastic. These are also heavily reinforced and built in germany ("You know the germans, they always make good stuff").

Not sure what the tonkas are like. Perhaps the same material. These look like a more detailed build though.