52 - Year In Review (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Scantron, May 3, 2007.

1. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now that DC's "52" series has concluded, figured I'd start a thread to see what everyone's thoughts were on the series. A few specific topics:

- Favorite Plotline?
    - Least Favorite Plotline?
    - Comments on other plotlines?
    - Favorite Character(s)?
    - Least Favorite Character(s)?
    - Favorite Moment(s)?
    - Least Favorite Moment(s)?
    - Opinion of the Multiverse?
    - Worth the investment? Lived up to the surrounding hype?
    - Sticking around for Countdown?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer my own questions...
    - Favorite Plotline - Black Marvel Family. IMO, this was the most consistent overall; no major slump in the middle, some surprises, satisfying ending (I don't count WWIII as the ending of this plot). It was also the most successful in making me care about characters who I knew little about before the series (Black Adam) or who didn't exist before the series (Isis, Osiris). Of the deaths and changes, the fall of Isis and Osiris held the most weight for me and I felt bad for Black Adam at the end of the series. Honourable mention to Ralph Dibny's story, although I felt it got shorted on the amount of pages devoted to his journey.
    - Least Favorite Plotline - Lost in Space. Never managed to connect with the characters and didn't find their adventure that interesting. The 'victory' over Lady Styx was anticlimatic, since she turned up alive at/around the same time OYL (Mystery in Space, IIRC). Lobo was annoying and Animal Man's 'death' was hollow since they never made me care about the character. Dishonourable mention to Questoya; I was more interested in the characters, but it was the most predictable of all the plotlines.
    - Comments on Other Plotlines - Steel/Everymen was alright but dragged near the middle. Skeets/Booster was pretty good but disappeared into the background too much near the middle. Will Magnus plot ended well, but not much important happened otherwise.
    - Favorite Character - Black Adam. As mentioned, the Black Marvel plot really got me interested in him and he was the most complex and well-developed of the characters, IMO. The only character I plan to read more about in the future. Honourable mention to Ralph Dibny.
    - Least Favorite Character - Emo-J'onn in WWIII. From the main cast, Adam Strange was the least interesting of the Lost in Space group.
    - Favorite Moments - Ralph's victory over Neron and Faust, Sobek's turn on the Black Marvels, Black Adam's crocodile-skin boots in the last issue, revelation of Mr Mind, Rain of the Supermen.
    - Least Favorite Moments - Batwoman surviving a stab wound through the chest, the fake-out with Charlie's death on New Years, the two Gratuitous Lesbian Action scenes with Montoya, Emo-J'onn in WWIII, death of Terra in WWIII.
    - Opinion of the Multiverse - I don't mind the idea of the multiverse being around again, providing the writers don't start using it as a way to retcon bad ideas ("that sucked, so it actually happened on Earth 48...but what I'm writing is really happening here!"). I'm not entirely happy with the method used to 'alter' the various Earths; I think it would have been better to just have all the Earths different after IC. I'm looking forward to seeing exactly which 52 Earths survived (we've only seen a couple).
    - I don't think the series quite lived up to the hype of explaining the OYL stuff and too much of that ended up crammed into WWIII. On the other hand, I enjoyed the focus on minor characters and, despite the occasional check-in by the Big 3, a chance for them to stand on their own merits.
    - Countdown looks interesting and I like where DC is taking their universe, so I'll stick around. Also, I like having a new comic to read every week.

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    *Spoilers ahoy!*

The last issue was pretty good. I really liked when all the Earths were changing. The new CSA looks badass. Power Ring in particular has an awesome costume.

Earth 2 has interesting possibilities. You know it'll get the most use. I'm glad they finally gave that grownup Robin a non crappy costume. lol

Earth 50 seems rather interesting. Some people think that it's the old Wildstorm earth, not the new one. Why do you suppose they would do that?

The final fate of Mr Mind is quite funny.

Booster Gold going back in time and meeting Blue Beetle right after the first Crisis was a really great scene.

Ralph Dibney: Ghost Detective FTW!

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I loved 52. It was a great series that was frequently enjoyable and had a fantastic ending. I'm going to miss it.

Favorite Plotline - Tough one to call. Either the Black Marvel family stuff or Ralph Dibny. I'll give the nod to Ralph, because he's an old favorite and his epilogue was one of the best moments in the whole series.

Least Favorite Plotline - Steel and his bitch niece. I hated Steel's bitch niece, and the whole damn thing dragged on too long. The Rain of the Supermen and the final fight between Steel and Lex did help redeem it a bit, though.

Comments on other plotlines - Montoya, the Question, and Batwoman stuff was okay. Not great, but pretty enjoyable. Seeing Renee don the Question's mask was a surprisingly cool moment. The Space Heroes stuff wasn't that great, but I loved the resolution for Buddy. Booster's storyline automatically wins, because it starred Booster Gold. The only downside is it fell by the wayside too often, first with Booster's "death", then again after he and Rip escaped Skeets. The last issue was so cool it made up for the absence, though. The island of scientists never really worked for me.

Favorite Characters - Ralph Dibny, Booster Gold, and Black Adam.

Least Favorite Characters - Steel's bitch niece and the Great Ten.

Favorite Moments - All of issue 52, but especially the return of the multiverse, the Ted Kord cameo, and the ghost detectives. The fight against Black Adam in issue 50. Buddy's return home. Rain of the Supermen. Ralph versus Neron. Steel versus Lex. The death of Osiris. Montoya becoming the Question. Montoya slutting it up.

Least Favorite Moments - Everything that involved Steel's bitch niece. The "deaths" of Booster Gold and Animal Man.

Opinion of the Multiverse - I'm happy to see it back. I love the old multiverse stories, and having it back opens up a lot of new potential. It's also exciting to see Earth-3 and the CSA back, and Earth-2 and its heroes. Hell, we got Helena Wayne, the real Huntress back, and that's justification enough for me. Can't wait to see the restored Earth-1. That should be a trip.

Worth the investment? Lived up to the surrounding hype? - Hell yeah.

Sticking around for Countdown? - Abso-smegging-lutely.

4. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

That's by biggest problem with it right there. A lot of the stuff I wanted to see explained got mentioned in passing. Very disappointing.

I loved Steel vs. Lex. Steel has been one of my DC faves since his apperance in the Reign, so it was awesome to see him kicking ass again. Black Adam going bat### insane was pretty awesome too. I really felt for the guy.

Bishop Lobo would've been funny as hell if it weren't so terrifing. I want to know why he suddenly seems to be back as his old self in The Brave and the Bold though. Wasted potential right there.

Montoya as the new Question = Awesome, and I really hope to see more of the new Batwoman too.

Honestly, I have no idea why DC ever tried to claim they didn't have a Multiverse anyway. Especially since they're alway publishing Elseworlds.

I agree that Ralph as a ghost dective was a very cool moment.

In the end, I'm kinda neutral on 52 as a whole. Like I said above, I don't feel it lived up to the promise of answering questions about the missing year, and I thought the stories they did focus on dragged too long. I'm also annoyed that the Big Three appeared at all, as they kept hyping that it was a year without them. However, most of the pay offs were worth it (I missed reading issue #50), and as stated in this thread, they're were plenty of moments that were just great.

Don't think I'm going to bother with Countdown at all, unless it turns out to be really truely awesome.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

They killed the Question.

Why would they do that? :( 

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Overall I really enjoyed it.

I really liked all the plot lines. they were all kind of instrumental in the overall story, so i cant really say I disliked any of them.

I was kind of bummed out by some of the deaths throughout the story, Osiris especially, I thought he had a lot of potential.

Is countdown going to be at the 2.50 price point? If so then I will more then likely get it, if not, then.. then probably not.

7. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Bring back Steel's metal skin!

8. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Because until JLU, no one gave a rat's ass about him.

As for 52, it wrapped up fantastically. I really enjoyed the ending. The middle (around the 30s) it was pretty bad but the ending definately paid off. Hopefully Countdown proves to be just as good.

9. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    $2.99 US

10. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is a good question.

Why do you think they did?

11. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

*SIGH*

DC felt the 50 years of continuity across countless worlds was getting cumbersome and confusing. As a kid I never had trouble with the multi-verse thing, since each Earth 2/3/etc story started with a blurb explaining the situation, but then I was always a science nerd and can't say what was true for me was true for the rest of the readers.

Elseworlds didn't start until several years after the Crisis ended. As I recall the first unofficial EW book was Gotham By Gaslight, released in 89, and its success launched the EW series a year or so later. However, for a long time DC refused to let those books mingle with the DCU, again to limit contiuity problems.

The real question now is why did they bring the multiverse back, and why aren't they concerned about having the same problems they had before?

12. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

It's possible that they felt they could shake up the current DCU without having to worry about reprecussions. Not neccesarily a direction I'd agree with, though.

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm curious about with the whole "megaverse" thing is. I sure hope it's not just DC's name for the omniverse.

For those who don't know what the omniverse is. Here's the description from Wikipedia.

The Omniverse is the collection of every single universe, multiverse, dimension (alternate or pocket) and realm. This includes not only Marvel Comics, but also DC Comics, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, and every universe ever mentioned or seen, including our own world. Everything is in the Omniverse, and there is only one Omniverse.

It's the most basic explanation on how crossovers between publishers (DC vs Marvel in particular) occur.

14. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I'm aware of why they "did away" with the idea, and I agree with that. But since then, they've done stories involving different timelines, universes, dimension, etc, but still seemed to insist that the DCU was the "only" universe. It was like saying there was no such thing as Santa Clause when he's right there, stealing your stereo (no idea where that specific analogy came from, but you get the idea).

Maybe I'm interreting things wrong, but that's how it always seemed to me.

15. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

The things I am still puzzled by are:
    -Why is there essentially an Earth-S with the Shazam heroes, are they no longer on Earth 1?
    -Same thing about the Charleston heroes (Judomaster, Nightshade, original Question and so on)?
    -How is Kingdom Come mingling now in our Earth, as it is shown as a seperate Earth in and of itself?

And Twin Twist, I think they killed the original Question for marketing reasons. I think that with the original Charleston deal there wasn't a provision for action figures and stuff (probably why there was no Blue Betle or Question figs in the JLU line). So by changing the overall character and just using the name they can make figures.

16. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Charlton charcters always get fuckt in the DCU: /

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    First of all, New Earth =/= Earth-1. We haven't seen the restored Earth-1 yet.

It seems like the multiverse is divided up so that we have New Earth, which is more or less the Earth we've seen since CoIE, and the pre-Crisis worlds (Earth-1, Earth-2, Earth-4, Earth-5/S, Earth-10/X). So we have the original Fawcett characters still on Earth-5 and the current versions on New Earth, the original Charlton heroes on Earth-4 and the current versions on New Earth, and so on. Similarly, we have Kingdom Come characters appearing on New Earth, even though they have their own, too. The only character from one of the restored multiverse Earths who might be on New Earth is Power Girl, who seems to have gone missing from Earth-2.

18. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Reading all that just makes me wish that they would stick with the way it was after CoIE. Well that and I hate how now they decided to dust off Joe Chill, Batman is cooler (imo) when his parents killer is never arested or known.

19. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I'd rather they never had done CoIE in the first place, although some good things did come out of it.

20. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

I only learned to read post CoIE (born in '81) so it's all I've ever known. I read some pre-Crisis stuff but for the most part I have stuck with the post-Crisis DCU.