50% of my co workers are gone.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iheartarcee, Oct 21, 2008.

1. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

Wow. The last two days have been incredibly difficult. We had a rocky year and will not make plan so people had to go. Unfortunately our general manager didnt have the balls to tell everyone that were being fired until yesterday, although he knew mid last week.. So 7 of 14 people in our small business packed up and left today. Unless you've worked for a small business you have no idea how emotionally draining it is to watch people leave after working so closely with them. I am a lucky one but have been told I will probably have to go by Jan 1. Its cool that I get some time to look for another job, but my motivation to perform and work hard so the company succeeds has gone to 0. I hope I can find another great job in the next two months that have benefits and something I enjoy :( 

Rant off.

2. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    im so sorry. Ill be praying for you and your coworkers. youll be ok

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I work for company A, which is a subsidiary of Company B, who is owned jointly by two different companies, Company C (51% stock holder) and Company D (49% stock holder).

Company D is in heavy talks to merge with Company F, who interestingly enough already has Company C as a majority owner as well. Company C is a big fan of such a move, because many of Company A, B, D, and F's resources could be combined.

Up to 60,000 jobs stand to be eliminated almost overnight if such a merger happens.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    GOODNESS> Let me know how things go with this

5. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

600,000?! I don't even know what to say. I wish you and your co-workers the best of luck. I hope that doesn't happen.

6. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    ... what happened to Company E?

To the point at hand, got made redundant a few years ago when the company, a middling telecommunications company in Australia, got shut down. Got a decent payout, though... but $13k doesn't go far when it takes three months to get another job and then not get paid for the first 3 weeks thanks to their payroll schedule...

Thankfully, I'm coming up on my second anniversary, and although we've been sold twice in the last three months, my job (so far) looks pretty secure, that is, business as usual and no changes.

Good luck with the job hunting; I know how hard it can be, and I think your job market is a lot different to ours. Well, assuming you don't live in Australia...