$5 off Target coupon no longer accepted

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Big Filipino, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    I just came back from Target and was informed during checkout that they are no longer accepting the $5 off coupon on toy purchases over $25 due to fraud. Has anyone else run into this problem?

2. dkrolickm

dkrolickm Beast Wars Predacon

Ebay:
    Whew...I'm glad I used mine Sunday!

3. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol, doesnt surprise me im sure alot of people were using them over and over again especially with the sale. I have been able to find anything new at target for since i got starscream like a month ago so it doesnt bother me

4. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Coupon fraud? lolwtf, how does that work with a coupon that you can use over and over and over again?

5. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

thats so stupid, how do they say no, its supposed to be able to be used again... its just a printout. do they accept those ordering online (might cover a shipping charge)

6. Commtech

Commtech Voice Over Bot

News Credits:
    I used it today with no problems. 3 separate transactions at 2 different stores. Must be that specific store in your area.

7. zman009

zman009 Member

Yep, just got back from my local Target and they had a printout at each register stating that they no longer were accepting the $5 off coupons.

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anybody have a link to the coupon? It is no longer on the target site. I would like to look at the terms and conditions.

For those of you that don't know when a retailer does a coupon there is usually a budget attached to it. Say you offer this special to a 1000 people. Based on previous shopping patterns you anticipate maybe 25% of the people you solicit actually use it. So 250 people time $5 you anticipate the coupon costing you $1250 as an expense to get people in your toy dept.

Now when that coupon gets posted all over the damn internet and 1000's of people are using it multiple times then your screwed and you cant afford to keep the coupon going.

The reason target might consider this fraud is if the coupon states one per household or that the people using it aren't on the mailing list it was originally sent out on. It is a valid reason to cancel the deal. Just be happy you got to use it when you could

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I last used one of these on Sunday and didn't have any problems, but will have to pay attention in the future.

Don't have a link, but the conditions from the ones I have on my desk:

- Expires 10/1/08
    - $5 off toy purchase of $25 or more
    - Limit one offer per transaction
    - Void if copied, transferred, purchased, sold or prohibited by law
    - No cash value

The best explanation I can think of is that people printing off multiple copies of these from the 'net would violate the "no copying" condition. Since there's no way to know whether someone presenting the coupon has printed another 1 or 100 of them already (I personally have 8 extras on my desk), Target's just decided to void them all. This could be why the coupon wasn't on Target's website for very long either; someone wised up and realized "hey, people could just print dozens of these and use them for months". As for why they didn't void the things months ago? Maybe, with the start of Animated, the coupons have started coming out of the woodwork in greater numbers.

Another possible explanation is that the coupons aren't restricted to just toy purchases for that $25. Both times I've used the coupon, I've only actually had ~$24 worth of toys and just rounded it up with a chocolate bar or pack of gum or something.

10. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Damn. And here I have those coupons burning a hole in my pocket. :banghead: 

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Interesting. I've used no less than three sheets of 4 already, with another two sheets on my desk. I was planning on using them clear through September, so if they're not taking them anymore, that would suck. Have to check it out soon and see...provided they have anything worth buying, let alone $25 of it. Been a little dry lately.

It seems like, more often than not, I would have something in hand that was $20 (or $10 x2) and would toss another SW/Indy/GIJoe fig in to kick it over $25, and use the coupon essentially to get that fig for ~$2. Without the coupon, I'm liable to just skip the random fig and spend the $20. That would mean I'm spending less money there, but I dunno that that really translates to a lost sale for Target since they're liable to get the full $7 for that fig from somebody else.

13. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Considering there have been multiple threads on how to commit retail fraud based around using the coupons on this very board, I am not surprised.

14. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Hmm, if they aren't taking them anymore then I gots some ordering to do online then. The only reason I wasn't grabbing some of the animated I want elsewhere was because of the coupons. Lame.

15. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Target Not Accepting $5 Coupon

The reference is to the coupon linked below ($5 off of $25 toy purchase):

http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=targetcouponszo4.jpg

1) These coupons were not meant for the general public. They were mailed/e-mailed to certain Target Card holders for their own personal use.

2) Many have photo-manipulated the coupon, creating a $5 off of $25 purchase (as in any purchase) coupon, which is not what the coupon was designated for.

As of July 1st, this coupon and it's manipulated double are no longer redeemable at Target stores.

I'm really not sure if this belongs in Transformers news, but since folks were planning on using it on top of Target's current Transformers sale, I figured I'd give you guys a heads up. Mods, move if you see fit.

16. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Well, I'm still going to attempt to use one should I find $25 worth of toys I want.

And how do you commit fraud with a coupon that the cashier takes from you when you redeem it?

17. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

Well thats BS. I used the coupon just a few days ago when I bought my Voyager Prime and Soundwave figure. I did, however, run into a small hitch when I was checking out with them and the moronic cashier tried to claim I could only buy what was specifically on the coupon, lol. I persisted though and I got my five dollar savings. But this still sucks, because as others have stated, I held off buying them elsewhere because of this coupon. Target should honor what their coupon says though. Its not the customers fault that they didn't have the foresight to see the problems that they would encounter by making it printable on the internet.

18. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't see how someone would think photo-manipulating the coupon would do any good, unless he/she knew how to correctly change the barcode. (Which, I guess, is possible.)

At any rate, I originally got the coupon off a target.com URL, and the ones in the link above are unchanged from that version.

I'm still gonna give it a try.

19. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    What's specifically on the coupon? I don't get what that means.

20. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I used 3 myself:

1 to price adjust a purchase of Animated Voyager Prime and DS Starscream.
    2nd one was for Stealth BB, Salvage, and Prime Megs 2 Pack.
    3rd one was for Animated Grimlock and Blacharachnia.

So, retail without sale + coupon would be:

(20 + 20) + (20 + 10 + 10) + (20 + 10) = $110.00 plus 5.5% sales tax.

With coupon and sale:
    (20 + 20 - 5) + (18 + 8 + 8 - 5) + (18 + 8 - 5) = $85.00 + tax

So with the coupon and sale, I saved $25.00, which came out of Targets money. Thank you Target for the free Grimlock and 1/2 price Blacharachnia. :D