48fps and future TF movies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ThatCrazyGuy, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ThatCrazyGuy

ThatCrazyGuy Well-Known Member

Just a thing I was thinking about.

I am sure alot of people have read about the special preview screening Peter Jackson did for the Hobbit and the negative (and positive) reactions to it.

Do you guys think Bay will go this route for TF4 (or TF5)?

From what I have read about the benefits of it, it makes for smoother motion and better panning (and less motion blur). People also have said this would benefit CGI heavy movies more than most (which what TF is).

I have seen the "cinema motion" or whatever that feature is called on new TVs with DOTM playing on it. I thought the bots looked great is non action scenes (they seemed more "real" if that makes sense), but during the fast moving stuff, it looked kinda bad to me. People have said that kinda resembles what 48fps could bring, but with the smoother panning, because the tv feature is faking it.

My thought is it could benefit the fast action scenes so we can see what is going on better (part of this is bays fault of course, haha). And I think it could make ILM's awesome CGI stand out even better on screen, even more so if they jump TF4 into the future and get more space sci-fi with it.

Of course the other benefit is it will supposedly make 3D better (brighter and not so head ache inducing?), which benefits TF as well. My personally, 3D in theaters strains my eyes sometimes.

What do you guys think about all of this?

I have seen comparison clips of 48 vs 24, and I like how 48fps looks.

I can't wait for the Hobbit (and the Avatar sequels) to see how this pans out.

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Bay and Spielberg both seems to love testing just how far they can take the effects [TF1, Devastator in ROTF, the 3D and Driller himself in DOTM, also Cybertron in a lesser extent], so adopting this style fits well their Modus Operandi.

And to be fair, he slowed down the action scenes quite a lot in DOTM, you can barely find the shakey cam at moments.

3. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jackson is the first to use 48fps though idk why he should of waited till cameron perfects 60fps with avatar 2. Cause imo its just a waste of time. Hell be the only one. But once the higher frame rates are perfected itll look pretty good. If the hobbit fails because of this It will reflect negativly on how people accept new technology in film. So Jackson has a lot of pressure to make sure he can fix what ever issues there were during the test screening to blow people away.

4. ThatCrazyGuy

ThatCrazyGuy Well-Known Member

I think Jackson choose the 48fps stop gap (instead of 60fps like Cameron wants to do?) so it would be easier to make 24fps prints. That's what I have seen people say, I don't know for sure if that is true.

5. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I hate 60 fps in games even though it is deemed as the best for the sole reason that it looks fake. Everything is too smooth and fast which is why anything between 30 fps and that is better in my opinion. The only games I've played that suit 60 fps are Dragon Ball Z games.

6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Not this early in the game, no. I realize that we're still a year (give or take) away from filming, but with the reaction Jackson's footage got, the industry is going to bring this along slowly.

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Personally, I'd just see the film be done in simple film/IMAX. No more 3D or any other gimmick, just let the VFX and the action speak for itself.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't see how a higher frame rate can make something look fake when what human eyesight perceives in real life is essentially infinitely higher. More likely your problem has more to do with the animation of a particular game feeling artificial than the "smoothness" of motion brought by a higher frame rate.

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    At least with Jackson's "Hobbit" footage, they say that the issue is that the human eye is trained to be used to the "blur" that exists between frames of footage. When you double the frame rate, it's like adding an in-between for every 2 frames, which eliminates that "blur". In other words, it may be more lifelike, but we're trained to not expect that when watching TV/Movies/Video games.