3RD party TF'S are considered transformers,yet brave & robotech isn't???????????

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigermegatron, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Many/most TF fans say the Takara Brave TF toys aren't transformers. some even go as far as to say the repaints from victory/zone/battle stars put into brave's toy line/cartoons aren't transformers. BASED solely off because the box & instructicons say brave & not transformers.

The same Bizzarro deal goes for all those robotech Valkyre VF-1 Skull leader robot/jet toys who 1985 Jetfire was based off. specifically the skull leader VF-1 valkyre with the face plate+visor eyes Jetfire head style. Many/most TF fans say it's not a true transformers. because it's got a different labeled brand box & instructions. even going as far as to dis-credit various VF-1 Valkyre skull leader master piece toys like the toynami & macross versions as masterpiece jetfire toys.

Yet those same TF fans,HERE'S THE FUN PART. Consider all those 3rd party igear,fan projects,TFClubs,etc... toys that looks like transformers from the past. to be considered true Blue 100% real transformers. EVEN THOUGH THE BOX ISN'T LABELED WITH THE TF LOGO,TF NAME. and the instructicons doesn't call it a transformer character.

So what i'm basically seeing here is contradictory altered beliefs.

2. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    :inquisiti 

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Different people have different standards? No way!

4. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    The thing is. Warbot Defender, the Crossfire 02 sets, Battle Rollar etc. They're all made to fit in the TF universe. Sure, they may not be licensed. But they're designed with the TF universe in mind.

Braves and Macross... are not.

5. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Relax a little bit. Process is right. I would just worry about what you consider a Transformer.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah.... I really didn't know how to respond either.

Rule number 1 of the internet... hardly anyone is going to agree with you:lol 

Rule Number 2 of the internet... don't get butt hurt when people disagree with your opinion.

Robotech/brave/gobots/bob the builder/Thomas the Tank engine... if you think all this stuff fits into transformers, but them together. What does it matter if other people disagree with you?

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Transformers is a franchise with official established characters and fiction. 3rd party items use those characters usually.

Brave characters are NOT part of the TF fiction, universe, or franchise. Neither is Robotech with the exception of a single repaint.

There is nothing contradictory. Brave and Robotech (Macross) are not, and never will be, Transformers products, at least on an official level.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You used eleven question marks in your title. Eleven.

9. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    The Riddler would be proud.

10. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:

Been having a lot of random topics come up of lately, haven't we? :) 

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

(1)yeah but without the TF logo & names on the boxes of those 3rd party items.

(2) The brave toy line from 1990 thru 1997 clearly used a few molds like deathsauras,diatulas,skygarry,grandus. but in different colors,different label box & paper work. those should be considered transfomers as they use the same exact molds.

(2a) other new molds for the brave toy line. were clearly stated by takara in on-line/convention interviews. as being meant to be transformers but with the TF toy line doing badly in japan during the early 1990's. some transformers became brave toys. 1990 dinogeist is clealy some sort of zone/battle stars grimlock toy update as it clearly has the grimlock T-rex head & neck style.

(3) it certainly is contradictory to not consider brave & those robotech VF-1 Skull leader type valkyres as non-transformers. then consider those 3rd party TF's a canon in the TF universe transformers toys.
    (3a) on a toy level all those robotech old/reissue skull leader valkyres VF-1 toys are transformers because they use the same exact mold as 1985 jetfire.
    those MP Toynami & macross VF-1 Masterpiece valkyres are jetfire/transformers toys. because there similar to updated MP TF toys.

(4) since the 3rd party igear,fanprojects,tfclub,etc.. don't have a cartoon series. no TF labels/Name on box. no TF label/name on instructions. a mini-comic inside the box that changes planet/city/character/robot race names.
    THERE NOT OFFICIALLY called transformers in print. SO it's basically just a bunch of fans getting together & calling them transformers robots & TF characters.

12. GogDog

News Credits:
    Yes, but they are based on real TF characters. Brave/Macross are not. never have been. They are all new characters, repaints or not. Brave/Macross has established fiction based in a different universe. 3rd party items often clear are remakes of TF characters or place themselves in the TF universe. it's certainly not official, but its still the TF universe. Brave/Macross are not.

Nope. never Brave has it's own fiction and universe. has nothing to do with transformers. Ever

Either way, they fall into Brave universe. Nothing to do with TF fiction.

No, it's not.

They are not transformers. Never have been, never will be. They have their own fiction and universe.

Exactly. But meant from the beginning to be in the TF universe. Brave and Macross, as previously stated, have their own official fiction and have nothing to do with TF fiction.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  13. SeiberBirdR

SeiberBirdR Sapienbot

News Credits:
    Sorry but.... so? Different people have different rules for what they consider Transformers. If it is produced as Transformers or produced as addendum to Transformers without appropriate trademark elements to avoid IP infringement most people agree that is Transformers. Even if it is the same toy but produced specifically as another line many do not consider it Transformers. Some such as yourself still consider those cousin products Transformers. Go nuts. If some hater moans on the internet about you mixing in Braves or Valkyries... well they can just fume on the internet. I am more of Transformers and 3rd party fiend myself but any transforming robots are awesome. Macross/Robotech is awesome. Mixing everything is awesome. Do not let those who disagree sweat or dissuade you.

14. GogDog

News Credits:
    Yeah pretty much. Anyone can make whatever fan fiction they like. If you want to include Ben 10 in your personal canon, then go for it.

15. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    With regards to this topic, I would like to bring up a question or 2 here:

1) Can I term TFs as Macross/Robotech then?

2) Would Bandai actually allow TFs to be labelled under Macross/Robotech line?

Answers? :p 

16. GogDog

News Credits:
    :lol  Good point.

17. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    I think Kabaya's new candy toy transformable robots don't like to be called TF as well. :) 
    But they sure look like some G1 characters.

18. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    So basically, you're saying "We should be able to consider Brave and Robotech as TFs, since we consider the unlicensed stuff TFs."

Well, I'm in the opposite camp. I don't consider the unlicensed stuff TFs, -because it's unlicensed.- Therefore, I have no reason to consider Brave as TFs under your logic.

But, I have nowhere else to put my Crossfire set but on a TF shelf, so I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it :p 

19. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Let me break it out for you - IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TF CHARACTERS THAT THE TOYS ARE MADE FOR!!

Do Brave and Robotech toys have characters in the TF mythos?

NO!!

Just because a mold from some other line (or an altered one) was used for TFs, or vice versa, doesn't make the toys made from that mold TFs. You can use them as substitutes (hell, I'm using RID Ruination as my G1 Bruticus) or new characters, but don't expect them to have canon TF characters of those toys (unless it's too popular and Hasbro/IDW/someone-else-responsible-for-TF-media showhornes it into TF).

In truth, those toys represent characters/mecha/vehicles from an another line, not a TF character, so they are not considered TFs. Simple as that.

That also coveres your second complaint about 3rd party products. They are considered TFs because they represent or are based on TF characters. They have different names, so that also trumps your statement about having different name equals NOT-A-TF.

20. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    just chill. transformers are transformers...robotech is large giant robots driven by human pilots...sorry but diaclone did that along time ago.

/thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.