3rd Party Reflector...what could have been.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by CZ Hazard, Jan 10, 2011.

1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Close. So close. This lovely three-piece set was commissioned by one of the top 3rd party companies (who for now will remain anonymous) and designed by a fellow collector (who for now will remain anonymous), who did an amazing job designing these guys. Unfortunately just as he finished designing these, another 3rd party company revealed their version of a 3rd party Reflector (who for now will...oh, alright, I'm talking of course about Perfect Effect PE-11 SFX).

The horrible thing is, the designer has been Pat Lee'd, he has never been, and likely will never be paid for his work. The previously mentioned commissioner - rather than explaining they won't go ahead and compete with Perfect Effect - has instead opted to ignore the designer and has not returned any attempts at contact. This sucks of course, but maybe there is a genuine reason for the lack of contact, hence the lack of naming and shaming, we'll take the high-ground damnit!

From what I remember, the idea was that these guys would be just short of deluxe.

Anyway, seen here for pretty much the first time I give you: X3-Zoom Mega Pixel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now that's a Reflector!

3. Sharkysharky

Sharkysharky Well-Known Member

Hell, I'd buy that !

4. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Oh and peeps, should you know who designed these, please keep it to yourself for the time being, k? thanks.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm assuming these are done by the same designer who did your gunbots (I have no idea who that is, either :p ). While not something I'd spring for, they're certainly really nicely done; it sucks hard what's happened to them. Is there perhaps some way the designer can can release them off their own back so the design's not wasted?

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Very nice looking figures but they look like box bots with a part of a camera on the back.

Although PE's version is smaller it does come with a ton of accessories and play value.

Sorry about your friend, it sucks working so hard with a promise of pay and then getting stiffed.

One question though, was it PE's release that canned this project or Hasbros?

7. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude this is at least 10 times better than that garbage perfect effect puts out. This actually looks like reflector. Man oh man what could have been with these. Top notch work honestly. Id buy those in a heartbeat.

8. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very interesting. I'm incredibly curious about the parties involved.

9. Disruptor

Disruptor Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    any chance these could be bought to support someone other than a 3rd party corporate juggernaut... :) 

if these progress any further will we be informed?

these and soundwave and his minions were my fav of all time

10. knockoff

knockoff Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the alt mode is simply amazing... it's a shame these won't ever get mass produced... it's definitely got a classics vibe going.

well, whoever the designer is, (s)he has my respect.

11. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    All the kind words will be passed on to the designer, even though I am a fan of the Perfect Effect camera, I'd love for these to happen. Heck, I've contemplated re-mortgaging to fund the project.

12. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Perfect Effect.
    A Generations / RTS repaint of not-Perceptor into not-Reflector doesn't really affect the target audience for a piece like this.

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Thanx for the insight.

I am inthe same boat as you, I like the Perfect Effect version but these would have been tempting as well. I am sure there would have been asseccories to this set as well.

My heart goes out to the designer of this nice product but my wallet thanx God that there is one less awesome 3rd party item for it to pay out for.

Although I would not be surprised if we see these guys in the future.

14. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Man I would have much rather bought that than pe's version. Deluxe size is much better

15. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These look more like masterpeice desighns with the level of detail rather than classics im not sure they would have fit in they look so detailed and just short of deluze as well if i was that third party company id hang in there and release the figs a bit later markketed as masterpeice reflector rather than classics

While i personally prefer the PE bots thats because i prefer the classics aesthetic but it wouldnt stop me from buying these later on as MP reflector

Only other problem i have is it looks like they stole Gnerations Drift's crotch and thighs

Attached Files:

16. adconx2

adconx2 Cybertron D-Block

Ebay:
    Damn, this is bad!!

17. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

the heads design are awesome!!

18. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well that's retarded. Perfect effect hasn't even made a prototype from what I could find. Just a really terrible drawing.

19. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I too wonder who it was who designed this. Personally, I'd just like to know so I can show him/her my support for a job well done. I'm sorry to hear the artist is now left out in the cold, but if this were to ever become a reality, you can bet there will be quite a few orders on this.

All I can say is, have the artist look into 3D printing this and the cost--there might be enough demand, considering the PE versions are smaller and not as G1 accurate. And please, pass along my congrats, my condolences, and my support to the artist.

20. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member