3rd Party Re-Shell Kits: Who'd be Interested?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by NothingHead, Mar 26, 2012.

1. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this for a while. We get tons of kits now to upgrade weapons or heads. But I can't think of very many kits so far that substantially change the alternate mode, which is a convenient way to differentiate both modes from the original base character's.

Would anybody else be interested in one of these third-parties focusing on giving us different alternate modes, or just giving us more kits like FP's old Cliffjumper kit, which added a new spoiler, a new bumper, and new intakes, and therefore altered the character's look far more drastically than a simple headswap?

I can think of several characters that I feel would do well to receive new alternate-mode parts: Generations Blurr, Universe Hardhead, CHUG Skullgrin..

2. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

I see where you are going with this but it's not my cup of joe... When I display I display in bot mode so I wouldn't be interested. Others might though....

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't Beelzeboss doing that type of thing for the Bumblebee mold to make other Throttlebots? Either that or they're making them iGear style: full standalone product, but same transformation as official stuff.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers Galaxy on Facebook indicated that these would be full figures, not reshells.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I've wanted to see a Countach body for the Universe Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. The Problem is, you'd be replacing so much of the toy that the 3rd party company just as well go ahead and make the whole bot.

6. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know what the deal is with the Bumblebee mold, but from past experience, I know it's pretty easy to disassemble the car parts from the Sideswipe mold. It's feasible to reshell it.

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Yeah, but my point was that if a company makes new car parts for that toy, the leftover robot parts are so few, they just as well make those too. The final cost would be pretty close to the same, and wouldn't require buying an expensive toy on the secondary market.

8. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right, it's even worse when you factor in how much the base figures cost.

9. NothingHead

I display in 'bot mode, too. But I like how my Cliffjumper and Bumblebee have just enough different parts hanging off of them to look like different robots. Mainly, I'm discontent with characters like Drift and Blurr, or even Wheeljack and Tracks; you can only do so much with changing the paint scheme, and in 'bot mode it's much more apparent how identical they are.

It would be a much more advanced process to implement a reshell kit, so much so that it transcends something like the City Commander armor add-ons and becomes more like model car-building. But, the latter is something tons of us like to do, so maybe there's a market for it. A third-party vehicle reshell would be a "kit" in the truest sense; something you'd sit down with a tiny screwdriver, some model plane glue, and an exacto-saw to do as an evening project..

I don't know, I hear so many people asking for a Countach kit for the Lambo Bros, or wishing Wheeljack was a true Lancier, or even that Cliff could be a Porsche. I think a lot of folks would be seriously tempted by such a kit, or in some cases just a third-party manufacturer that was concerned as much about providing us with a kick-ass car mode as they are with a baggie full of faceplates..

10. NothingHead

you know, Predakign, you've got me thinking now. I don't know anyone who displays modern Transformers in vehicle mode. But I know plenty of people who display vintage TF's that way. I wonder why that is? Were the 'bot modes so unimpressive? Or could it be that much more attention was paid back in the day to the vehicle modes that they occasionally outshone the robot? I know there's a lot of love out there for Binaltech: Transformers with totally accurate, real-world alternate modes. I know licensing is a bigger issue now, but does the vehicle really have to be so perfunctory? I think this is an excellent opportunity for third-parties to step in and exploit yet another shortcoming the official product is displaying..

11. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

something like this i coudl defiately see workign for the seeker/skyraider decepticon figure sets

12. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If these said kits could characters look more like this, I'd buy them! This is the best custom I've ever seen.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    No. I'm tired up adding on to the same bloody figures over and over again.

14. NothingHead

Well, uh.. yeah. Kinda. I've bought the same Lamborghini chassis three times. It's sitting on my shelf three times. I'd love to make one a Countach or something. I'd love for Cliffjumper to be a Porsche, or Wheeljack to be a Lancier. Plus, add-ons give me a reason to pick old toys back up again, instead of letting them collect dust or rot in a bin. Like the Protector armor; I hadn't even looked at Hot Rod in years.

I'm not sure why not wanting the same figures over and over means you wouldn't want to change those figures up a bit, it seems a bit contradictory. But I'm tired of getting the same figures, too. Unfortunately that's what we'll get ad nauseum since it's cost-effective for companies to do so. It's nice to switch it up; that's kind of why we're in here talking about/buying up third-party upgrade kits..

15. Nujevad

Nujevad Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Considering that Hasbro likes to use pins and glue in their construction (which can provide a challenge to newbie customizers), finding molds with as little of the stated elements would be very difficult.

16. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    The Chug Bumblebee isn't too much of a challenge to deshell and redo with a beetle, you just need to be confident cutting up kits correctly:

[​IMG]

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

I'd be interested if not for the aforementioned construction problems...and the high prices commanded by so much 3rd party stuff. If you can find a toy that's easy to take apart and do a reshell kit for closer to $20, it'll have a better chance than one where we're expected to spend $75 and pull a bunch of rivets out.

18. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Nope.

19. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

20. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    give me a kit that will turn classics Jazz's generic meh mobile into a real 935 and I will throw money at you