3rd Party..Doing it Better and Right!

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Stygian360, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

3 reasons why many 3rd party companies creating Transformer-like product are doing it better than the big boy(s) in 2011:

1) Almost across the board they are consistently producing better and more targeted product than Hasbro. They seem to target the fan in particular and go to extreme lengths to please that person, which is something Hasbro doesn't do as much because they must have the most broad kid appeal possible.

2) Because they are literally in the country in which their product is being produced, and produce at lower quantities than Hasbro, they don't appear to employ sweat shops. In fact, of the few pics I've seen of factory conditions and workers putting together Herc figures, the conditions seem downright...cheery!

3) They are producing the figures we really, really want, but with a twist. The twist being, because they must be creative in interpreting characters without them being an exact replica of the 80's toy, they take liberties, but just the right kind. Look no further than Hercules to see how the Constructicons have finally been done right in a modern incarnation.

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    This thread will end well.

3. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    *Shakes head* I would hope some people realize that it is ok to like hastak and 3rd party products. Both of them!

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Clearly you don't understand one of the most important rules of fandoms: It's either one or the other. Never both!

:p 

5. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    :banghead:  One of those rules I just can't seem to follow!

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    You know what the best part is? Not only is this topic and op clearly a recipe for disaster, but it's in the wrong forum.

Also, Hasbro/Takara > 3rd parties. They've been doing it longer, better, cheaper, and more often. But both are great and I wouldn't want to sacrifice one for the other.

7. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

This will not end well.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

They target the fan because that's the only people they can really sell it too. Most 3rd party figures probably wouldn't pass child safety tests.

Not to mention Hasbro's "broad kid appeal" seems to be working REALLY well, considering how much product is on the shelves these days with "TRANSFORMERS" branding on it.

The catch is that the materials used to make said 3rd party products aren't set up for mass production. That's why it costs so much more per 3rd party figure than a comparable Hasbro figure, because lower production quantaties means more money needs to be made per item of sale.

And as for the sweat shop thing...well, the whole reason many goods these days have been outsourced to China is because producing goods there and shipping them anywhere is cheaper than having them produced here in America. Harsh reality, but it's the truth.

This is COMPLETELY subjective on the level of personal opinion. No actual, hard evidence to support that 3rd parties are doing this better than Hasbro. Heck, there's another third party that's making their own Devestator that has a radically different Long Haul design that I like more than the Hercules one. Does that make my opinion the best? Not by a longshot.

Plus, OF COURSE they're making the figures the fandom wants, that's their target market. They want the stuff they know will sell, because they don't have the liberty of advertisement through a TV show. Plus, comparatively the overall profit made from these 3rd party figures pales in comparison to how much Hasbro makes from one mold.

So, third parties are doing things that are geared more towards the fandom, but that does NOT necessarily make them "better" than Hasbro.

9. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I don't enjoy the thought of spending $600 for Devastator.

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly, I love third parties like no other, but realistically, here's the deal:

They make Transformers toys for a niche market, and get over by simply giving us characters we want to see with no other options.

However, in terms of pure quality, they don't even shine Hasbro's shoes.

So, yes, they do things that Hasbro doesn't CHOOSE to do atm, but they sure as hell don't do it as GOOD, let alone BETTER.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    We got mass retail Straxus and Black Shadow. Anti-Hasbro arguments are invalid.

12. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:

how dare you use calm, rational logic!!!!

*Shakes fist*

13. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I don't agree that 3rd party quality is better than all Hasbro stuff. I do think that the quality of 3rd party has been at least equal if not better than DOTM.

My display case is indicative of the relative virtues of official vs 3rd party. Gradually over the last year it has been almost entirely taken over. The main reason is that Hasbro have been producing figures I like at a slower rate than 3rd party, and as a collector it is normally the new toys that get shown off more.

The best way for Hasbro to win people like me back is to have a permanent collectors line, releasing 4 -6 figures a year that are new molds, painted well and are like classics but are a bit more special. If they need to charge a lot then so be it.

14. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    I just love reading how this thread insults and kicks so many people in their faces that have made so many bold decisions to make Transformers better. Wow...

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Wow, not even a day after this new broke out and "fans" are already using it against Hasbro.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Because rationality, decency and knowledge of the subject matter of the discussion is for chumps.

Honestly this times a million. Where are all my third party obscure characters? Where's the missing Animated guys? Where's updates of big-name comics characters from Marvel, Dreamwave and IDW? Oh wait, Has/Tak made them. 3rd party just made another Devastator.

17. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I enjoy both Hasbro/TT an 3rd party figures. I'd say no matter what though, the original company that started it all will always have the edge.

18. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    This. ^^^^
    I'm SO happy with Straxus I bought both versions(Generations and United). Never thought I'd own a real Straxus toy and I always wanted one as a kid.

Also, Has/Tak gave me a cartoon accurate Skyfire. I NEVER dreamed we would ever have that.

19. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Until such time as someone, anyone, releases a Classics scale and articulated Seacons, I will reserve judgement. But on that day, I shall declare Hasbro or Third Party the winner of my support.

20. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Third party products are nifty... but nothing in comparison of HasTak... especially in the price department. -waits for argument that they spend $10,000 per design and waits to call bullshit-