3rd Party designs in IDW Comics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ORIO, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just like the title says. Is it possible for the artists to use the designs of something like City Commander? Or the Not-Insecticons?

I imagine the answer is a big fat "No way in hell". But, if it's all up to the artist and his interpretation...?

Maybe one of the Josh's can shed some light or answer. :) 

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Hmm...ya know, i dont think itd be in very good form to use those exact designs [i know hasbros asked a couple artists not to take part in 3rd party-ish endeavors]

even character designs and all that get ran by editorial and hasbro and neither are afraid to ask artists to redraw certain characters if its not something they want so....yeah

i doubt you'll ever see those guys in the books heh

3. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    They don't even seen capable of consistently using Hasbro designs, so I'm not sure they would use third party. I imagine they could sneak it in, but if Hasbro saw it the shit would hit the fan.

4. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool, thanks Josh!

:lol 

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Wasn't there a Classics poster by Alex Milne a few years ago that featured some 3rd party designs? I remember it had City and Shadow Commander on it. Was that endorsed by Hasbro?

6. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have this as my desktop and it does have quite a few 3rd party items on the poster. City comander, powered commander and even the FP cliffy set. It was done for botcon i believe. At that time though 3rd party were add ons and hasbro even said they loved them for doing stuff they would never do? Now hasbro have a stronger stanse then before so i doubt they would do it

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that was stuff he did for one of those unofficial TF conventions.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is along my thought process as well. I wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd party design in the comics, but I'd want consistency above all else.

9. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Pic?

10. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll just say that it really caught my eye that Nick Roche drew a two-missile box on each of Ultra Magnus' shoulders in MTMTE #1.

12. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    That's hot!

Thanks, process!

13. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. jon

jon That dude from the forest

News Credits:
    That was commissioned by TFCon for their convention comic, which is still an unofficial convention, hence their exclusives every year.

15. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd say it was fair.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If a third party design is unique enough to not infringe Hasbro or Takara copyright, then it is automatically protected by U.S. copyright law itself. Hasbro or IDW couldn't use it without permission. I imagine most groups would gladly give permission, but I can't picture Hasbro asking.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a valid point, but it would never apply to any unique third party designs that are already clearly based off what HasTak already own - such as three purple, black & yellow colored robots that turn into the exact insect alt modes that the official Insecticons do, or six green & purple colored robots that turn into the exact construction vehicle alt modes that the official Constructicons do AND who also happen to combine into one giant green & purple robot that is a dead-on clear as day replica of HasTak's owned & protected Devastator design. And the list goes on.

It's obvious why Hasbro never had a problem with third party add-on kits: because they're generally harmless, and most importantly, everyone who bought them also needed to buy Hasbro's official figures to utilize them (ie: City Commander, Protector, etc.) and they don't get in the way of official product. But it's also obvious why they never want to see third party figure designs in any of their official imagery: nevermind the IP theft, the minute Hasbro has those designs in anything official, it would look like they almost support/endorse what these KO & third party outfits are doing. That's not a message they want to send, especially now when third parties are coming out of the woodwork and becoming FAR more brazen with their releases.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A third-party group suing Hasbro for using one of their designs, which they originally derived from Hasbro's? I imagine their suit would be laughed out of court.

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You might be surprised. FP's designs aren't any more infringing than Hasbro's own Classics Jetfire, which is an obvious stand in for IP owned by Studio Nue & Big West (and claimed by Harmony Gold). It takes far more than reusing a general concept or having a recognizable visual similarity to be infringing.

(Unless you are Apple)

20. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The TFcon poster had the Fansproject Cliffjumper upgrade, City Commander, Powered Commander and Shadow Commander together with a punch of Classic, Universe and Henkei toys. It was not official, not from IDW or Hasbro, but it was pretty cool.

[​IMG]

There was also the Mosaic called "Blackest Night" which had the City Commander armor.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-mosaic-blackest-night/17415/