3rd Party Appreciation/Depreciation

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by harveydent, Jun 19, 2012.

1. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I really, really want to get Hegemon, but I'm really having trouble with the $100 price tag at this point in time. Do you guys think he'll go for less in a year or so at B/S/T or even ebay? Or will I be kicking myself 1 year later for not jumping on him now?

My question is basically, how much do 3rd party toys appreciate or depreciate over time? Do they get more expensive like some HasTak toys even after only a short time (Masterpiece, HA Barricade, FE Prime, etc.) or they eventually lose value like other HasTak toys?

2. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's not going to be possible to provide a true answer to this question, really. There's no way to accurately tell, just like with a lot of the official products. I mean, very few people would have said Shadow Command Megatron would go as high as he often does, for instance. Nor would anyone have likely predicted the release of Generations Thundercracker and Thrust and how cheap the BotCon ones became compared to their early market prices.

There's just no good way to tell what might happen to affect the price of something like Hegemon. An MP Megatron 2.0 could crush the market for him in six months, potentially, or he could be worth a fortune if the supply ends up shorter than demand and he becomes hard to get.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They usually increase in price. I mean, just look at pretty much everything Fansproject put out. They go for loads now. And the yellow version of Maketoys Giant is already increasing in aftermarket prices. The only times I see third party stuff not increasing is when they constantly restock them like TFC Hercules and Perfect Effect stuff.

The only way I can see Hegemon becoming less popular is if a new MP Megatron gets announced, and even then it won't be by that much because Hegemon is for Classics and not Masterpiece anyway.

I say that if you want it and have the money, get it now, because I don't see it decreasing in value much.

4. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I think it's a safe bet Hegemon will go up in price. Awesome toys usually do. There's always a possibility 3rd parties will do another production run at the same retail price, but that would be taking a gamble. I didn't want to take any chances so I ordered one this past weekend. Reviews seem positive so far too. I think you should go for it.

5. SamiKai

SamiKai Well-Known Member

Sidecutter is right. It's hard to guess. 3rd party is very hit or miss. Fansproject stuff did well and later sold at a higher price. But even their stuff has fallen in price and does not sell as high as it used to. Basing Hegemon on how well some other company did will not get you very far.

There are numerous 3rd party stuff that flopped (like Sonicron, it retailed for $60 and BBTS has them for $20.25) and many that retail stayed level.

Like any product values are relative to how badly someone wants something at any given point in time. There is easy way to determine how a figure will be desired over time.

It will probably be easier to guess the price of gas in a year.

6. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Thanks for the input guys!

I've "re-entered" this hobby pretty late in the game, so I missed out a lot of good stuff. That said, I probably got a lucky a lot, getting stuff I wanted from ebay and junkion cheap, even lower than retail. Maybe I was hoping it would be the same for Hegemon

You guys are probably right, though, better get him now

7. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    100 bucks for hegemon is really not that bad when compared to other 3p figures. Take for example FP springer, he retails for about 80-100 bucks and is smaller than a voyager. While hegemon is a tad larger than a voyager, but not by much. Also all the TFC hercules figures are a 100 bucks each and there a tad smaller than hegemon.

8. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the price tag he has right now is very fair and I have no regrets taking the plunge.
    I'd say go for it now.