3rd party appeal?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 0MEGATR0N, Dec 9, 2011.

1. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

I don't own any 3rd party figures but dont see a whole lot of difference in quality vs. mainstream takara/hasbro stuff,so what's the the appeal with these things and are they worth the high markup?

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

3rd party caters more to the collectors, while the offical stuff is still kids toys. That is of course a huge simplification, but thats what it boils down to. 3rd party stuff doesn't have to adhere to the toy laws that Hasbro does, so they have more room to work on the designs.

R!

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are, for the most part, designed with collectors in mind. This allows them to be more receptive to our highly esoteric wants.

4. NexMortuus

NexMortuus Well-Known Member

Hello well 3rd party figures, a lot of them have the quality plastic of hasbro/takara, as well as paint apps if not better. To be honest the only 3rd party thing i own is right now is the igear kup heads and to be honest those things looked legit awesome products. Now the reason for the high markup in price is cause these third party companies either consist of one person or about the avarage of maybe 5 people working in that company. when they produce a toy or add on they go through many steps to get the fig out and one of those steps include going to a Chinese toy production company and get their figs mass produced so this is a very expensive process to do and get so that explains the prices. Also another factor is that some companies will release a character people will go crazy for and through the limited count of production numbers in the fig the price will go even more up for its rarity.

5. 0MEGATR0N

well with the new "constructicon" set I noticed there were no decepticon symbols anywhere,did I overlook them or is that one of the copyrights they cant use being 3rd party?

6. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Thats a directly registered trademark/symbol, so yeah they can't use it.

as far as price, it's not just the fact that it's a small team that make them, but more with how many are made. 3rd party stuff is in the thousands, while Hasbro is in the hundreds of thousands. There's alot of set up time making sure the injection molding machines are working properly with the dies. Same with assembly. if you can spread out all those costs over alot of figures, it gets cheaper.

R!

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes.

Generally, the appeal of 3rd Party stuff is that they make figures of stuff that Hasbro/Takara hasn't (or can't). They're not bound by the logistics of worldwide distribution mechanisms and retailer mandates or budgetary constraints that would otherwise tend to screw us out of many old fan-favourites.

The trade-off is that without worldwide retail backing, the things tend to cost quite a bit more due to the smaller production runs. And they don't have quite the same production experience as Hasbro/Takara, so you might find some instances that aren't quite up-to-par with official quality (although most tend to be pretty good).

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Or to spell it out even more, the more you make of something the cheaper it is to sell. A figure that only has a few thousand made has to sell for more than a figure that has hundreds of thousands made.

9. NexMortuus

Copyright or trademarks prevent them but 3rd party companies could make the figs come with the real name and the symbols but they would have to pay royalties and then the price would go even more up due to that so its cheaper to not go with logos and dif names

10. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

The appeal is of the stuff that Hasbro and Takara, for whatever reason, either cannot or will not do to fan's satisfaction - if they do it at all. Generally speaking, these third party products are at least as good of quality if not better than the official stuff, but without having to adhere to Hasbro's strict price point budgets for the mold itself. (Takara has a more relaxed paint budget but their stuff usually costs more)

The supposed high mark-up is because these are produced in far more limited numbers and the companies themselves aren't nearly as large as either Hasbro or Takara alone. Thus, the cost to make the steel mold for a given product is spread over a much smaller number of units produced.

Now, are they worth the asking price? That is entirely up to you. In hand pictures can really help sway you one way or another on some of these.

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

It makes no sense to buy "3rd party" just to have a bunch of toys.

If you want Constructicons, Insecticons, Giant Steam-powered Shockwave, etc, then you can only get them from "3rd parties" and rest assured that Hasbro won't be scooping them on anything so specific and difficult to mass-market.

12. NexMortuus

In other words the appeal in these figs is the artistic and hard work value you either like them or you dont. Or you either love official toys or well lets say KO for a better word. Please correct me if i am wrong for using "KO" wrong

13. 0MEGATR0N

man they have to come up with better names though.

14. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What's it matter what they name them? You know who they're meant to represent, so those names should go out the door anyways.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Fansproject let me have a big, cool Bruticus.

That was the appeal for me.

16. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The appeal is that people like the designs. That's all. I don't buy 3rd party figures because it's 3rd party, or that the quality is better, or that it's more rare than official stuff. I like the designs. I like Hasbro RTS Windcharger. If Hasbro didn't make it but a 3rd party did of the same exact design then I would buy it because I like the design. If Hasbro/Takara made the TFC Hercules I would buy it from Hasbro (most likely it would be cheaper). Problem is Hasbro doesn't have one. Pretty simple really.

17. Yop the Yopper

Yop the Yopper Banned

I'd even go far in saying that the generic names they come up with are purposefully bland and forgettable so their "real" personas become more attached so collectors identify with them better.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    because they're good figures, and i don't want a half track reflector, i want three bots that combine into a camera, i don't consider a repaint of an energon mold to be a good devastator, bruticus and superion sucked, the upgrades made them good enough to display. a white prime? no thanks, an armored magnus, ok lol

19. NexMortuus

um yes and no as im going to agree with duckett we know who they represent so no problem but some companies do try to pass the characters as their own and give them a new identity so on that yes they should try others that dont give them a story behind then its ok
    nothing is wrong but like i said if they give them a back story or their own background they should go with more than simple names.

Um that was a bit contradictory cause you just said if you like the design you would buy it regardless to who made it and then you come out saying that you like the 3rd party but only buy it if it was from hasbro? Idk i feel its a bit contradictory to me

20. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One should be careful with some 3rd party goods however... while a number of them are of good quality... others may not be on par.

Won't name names here to prevent flames... but just be sure to check reviews for figures if you're ever interested. They're expensive items... you don't want to get something that's only mediocre at best, but pay for the equivalent of 5 Hasbro Deluxes or more...\

Though I will say one item that seems to draw folks into 3rd Party stuff is the Fansproject Bruticus...
    Before... a stock Energon Bruticus:
    [​IMG]

After the Addons:
    [​IMG]

Fixed because of later complaints about being misleading... eesh. They're the same blasted mold... so the limbs were off-color... my bad.