3mm clips: are they really as wonderful as everyone says?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, May 4, 2011.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I have had a lot of the recent molds, and I have found that 3mm clips isn't as great as some of the praises it received. I find that 3mm clips are great for weapon storage (brawn can store a shit-load of them in his backpack).

However, I find that in the most recent molds they seem to be adding 3mm clips everywhere, even when its not really practical or usable. I see some disadvantages as well. Many 3mm clips seems to have been incorporated into the mold without too much thought. When you mount heavier clip weapons onto them, they are very unstable. You can whirl them around easily, or they cannot hold up. Smaller armaments are more ok.

One of the bots that I find with "excessive useless 3mm clips", is Lugnut. He is an awesome mold, so most people don't count this as a flaw, but really, most of those 3mm clips on him cannot be used in a meaningful way. It looks awkard to attach anything to certain clips.

To balance the discussion out, there ARE useful 3mm locations that serves their purpose, well. Some examples are breacher, Brawn, and warpath.

In summary, what I have noticed is that 3mm clips seems to be tacked on abundantly, and many of them without given any thought to their placement to make them "meaningful".

Its like an armada toy that have a minicon port at the Crouch. It's great to boost that its "there" and that they have X amount of "ports". But it serves no functional purpose.

This is not a "complaint" thread. I am just sharing my view on it. I find some advantage (which have already been praised many times), and some disadvantage.

Let me know your thoughts about 3mm clip system.

2. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I don't think they're nearly as great as the hype is. There aren't enough of the weapons/attachments. They are almost always too character specific to just pass them around.

I agree with you about how many of the clips can't be used in a meaningful way.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I hate the damn things. As soon as I open a new figure that has any clip weapons they come off and go straight in the drawer. Except Breacher, he can keep his :D 

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I don't like them, I don't hate them either.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I know what you mean. The 3mm gimmick is better than some of the gimmicks we've had in the past, it makes for easy compatibility and customization. But I've barely used the gimmick at all.

I'm not really one for giving one toy's weapons to another, (unless one toy comes with no weapons of its own and the other has much to spare, like giving Recon Ironhide's weapons away) so putting everyone's 3mm weapons on Lugnut doesn't appeal to me.

Granted, I like the 3mm weapons on their own bots. Being able to choose where Straxus' weapons go makes the toy more fun, Jazz's speakers are a great idea, Wreck-gar being able to sheath his axe on his back makes sense.

But I also see what you mean about some of them just not being useful. I tried to put one of Ironhide's knives on Hubcap's forearm pipes, cos he was woefully unarmed, and no matter what angle I tried it didn't actually look good. So ultimately, he stayed unarmed.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well, it's fun, easily customizable, does not negatively impact the figures at all, since they only add the bars if they can be easily hidden or go with the look.

I see no way they can ever be a bad thing. Do I use them? Sometimes, but not for display. Do I not want them? No.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Yes, I would agree with that it is a "gimmick" that is not hindering, unlike light and sound, etc. So that part, we can definitely appreciate.

And Abrogate, as you said, those examples you have are some of the greatness that the 3mm clip system have brought us. I think it looks great, especially if its a small arms type of weapon.

I think the 3mm clip system shines closely to a "armored core model customizing". Kinda like, if you want a missile rack here, or a wrist cannon there, they make for a great "standard'. (I still prefer the more stable, yet less flexible peg system). However, for full length weapons, I think 3mm clip is only good for "storage" of those said weapons, but not for arming, because they drip, and drop.

I have actually tried to arm Lugnut's ports; all of them, as I have 3-4 sets of Recon Ironhide's weapons, and a lot of other clip on's, but I ahve to say, man, it looks fugly.

8. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    If the alternative is having more ugly pegholes all over the figure, then I am all for the bars.

9. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm currently having this problem with gen scourge, as the clips under his plane mode, dont really have a lot of clearance. Anyone have a good combo of weapons that look good on scourges alt mode?

10. DolphinMoo

DolphinMoo Well-Known Member

I don't like like the 3mm clip on weapons. The add on weapons on the figures look very out of place. It creates more loose parts for my figures and I can no longer keep track of these tiny parts. However, on the right figures and in the right modes (Darkmount alt mode), the clip on weapons do make the figures look great...

11. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

I don't have a real comment about the clip system, but as I say about any other gimmick, as long as it doesn't fuck up the figure, it doesn't bother me.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Lugnut's 3mm clips are mainly for his jet mode I find. The idea is for them to be used for smaller missiles and stuff. The ones on Tracks would be ideal, if the clips were the right way around. As is though they take these pretty well:

[​IMG]

I like it as a gimmick - it allows more customisation and the rails can be concealed pretty well. Even when they're more obvious they still fit better than 5mm holes or Mini-con posts.

13. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Clips are great: highly articulated, easily concealed/integrated.

14. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't use the feature much but I do like it. I'm just not a fan of mixing and matching peoples accessories, if there were add on packs or more bots came with extra weapons like recon Ironhide I would enjoy the feature more

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    It does make his jet mode more heavily armed And I agree with you: the smaller clip weapons work better.

16. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Least. Obtrusive. Gimmick. Ever.

17. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Somebody needs to start producing 3mm weapon packs for the clip system to truly take off. I don't want to disarm existing figures to arm other figures, but I'd gladly purchase additional weapons.

18. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I think they are excellent, I just don't use them. We need more weapons so that the gimmick can be useful

19. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I used to hate it, but now I LOVE it! Warpath has some of Skullgrin/Straxus' weapons on 'em, Wreck-Gar and Mindset also have some funs attached on 'em. I say bring on more!

20. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I prefer them to mechtech, but at the same time I preferred the 5mm peg hole in hands for hand held weapons but the clip system is good for arm moounted ad shoulder mounted weapons.