3D VS Imax 3D

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cranckasional, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Cranckasional

Cranckasional Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, I dont keep up with technology guys
    I know people are saying there is no extra footage so what is the difference between both??? ( I dont go to the movies much,, Never seen one in 3D)

Sorry if this thread is redundant to any other

2. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    First off, the smart-aleck answer: The names are different.
    The more detailed: IMAX has larger screens, louder sound, and sometimes, bigger 3D glasses. Also, IMAX 3D has better 3D then RealD in my opinion (Some say RealD 3D is better)

3. Cranckasional

Cranckasional Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Knowing is just half the battle, Thank Prime :) 

4. fallen_revenge

fallen_revenge Movie News Addict News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    IMAX 3D is better!

5. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The projectors are different. IMAX screens are brighter, less flicker, less distortion at corner seats and at closer length it maintains it's depth of field whereas in RealD there are cases of great amounts of image flicker, dark images and if you're not sitting at an ideal 'center' position you get a loss of depth. In realD you also get a 'halo' effect; dark borders on screen, clear image in the center area

6. bearweezie

bearweezie Well-Known Member

All I know is I seen Avatar in regular 3d and Imax 3d and Imax 3d was way better

7. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some say IMAX 3D is better but I wouldn't know because the nearest IMAX is in Melbourne and IMAX is expensive, so I'll stick with RealD 3D for the foreseeable future.

8. Red Dog

Red Dog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information regarding both Real D and IMAX 3D. I am going to see DOTM in IMAX 3D and I am very excited to see it now. I am disappointed that I won't be able to use my Cine-Mask during the IMAX showing...nonetheless, I'm still wearing it until the movie starts!

9. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read once somewhere that IMAX 3D has a more popping-out effect, whereas RealD 3D is more subtle. It's like RealD 3D projects depth more inwardly, so it looks as if the encasing depth rather than shooting action out of it. Think of it like the Nintendo 3DS' 3D technology. Of course, I may be pulling nonsense out of thin air, but this was how I always thought about the differences between the two.

Personally, since my campus doesn't have IMAX, I have to make do with RealD 3D. While it was satisfactory most of the time, it sometimes caused a lack of detail and poor image clarity, such as in Alice in Wonderland (which I felt was a better watch in 2D).

IMAX, though, was a whole different experience. I may be biased since the number of IMAX 3D movies I've watched can be counted on one hand, but Avatar was the most jaw dropping movie I've ever seen. IMAX not only has far better clarity, it also has brighter imagery. The 3D was absolutely stunning and breathable. I really hope DoTM will replicate this, and judging by how much they're hyping the 3D, I figure IMAX is the way to go.

10. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Imax 3D all the way.