3D TV's and Movies

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rodimus Mike, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    Hey all,

I wanted to start a thread about this,but with the new release of 3D TV's
    would you consider buying one so you can watch the movies in 3D. I have
    looked on most online stores and gotta say that it would be a waste of money
    ($2500 to $3000),as I've been to see a couple of movies in the theater and
    its nothing to those back 20 years ago where the stuff actually fly's off the
    screen at you.So are you thinking of getting one of those 3D TV's or not.I
    will say that right now I would not get one as there is a lot more stuff I could
    buy for 2 or 3 grand than one of those.But maybe in 5 or 6 years when the
    price for them come down dirt cheap say $300 or $400 for them I might get
    one.So what about you?. Thanks all.

2. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
  3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't even touch a 3D TV at the moment because some companies are already working on glassless 3D TV's! now that I will buy because the glasses are going to cost you 100 bucks maybe? So does that mean you have to have a pair for everyone that comes over? Thats dumb and very expensive. Imagine Christmas time... your house is full of people and you only have 2 glasses!!! lol, will you force everyone to take turns?

here is a demo
    Intel shows off glasses-free 3D demo -- now this is more like it -- Engadget

4. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I just bought a 52" Sony Bravia ($1500.00)and was looking at the 3D TVs as well (42" $3000.00). I am going to wait 2 to 3 years as by that time prices will have drop considerably and all the bugs will be worked out of the 3D sets. It works in my favor as I buy a New TV every 3 to 5 years.

5. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

You're not just getting a 3D TV, you're getting one of the best 2D televisions available on the market that also happens to have 3D capabilities. What I'm saying is those televisions would cost $1,799 (the cheapest) to $5,999 (the most expensive) regardless of their 3D capabilities, because they are also the best 2D televisions you can buy today.

6. llfalcon

llfalcon Well-Known Member

I too am going to consider it 2-3 years down the road. As it stands, you need a 3Dtv, 3D blu ray player, glasses for each viewer and of course the movies. Right now, there's not many movies available for this new technology. I believe there was 10 movies release in 3d last year and that number will grow. So why run out and buy a TV, when there is currently only Monsters vs Aliens to watch? Like any new technology, it is pricey and drops considerably with a few years. I will research it and make sure I know all the facts before dropping any amount of money into something.

7. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I saw those things in the flyers this week. What shocked me was how if you buy a 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray player, they'll give you Monsters vs Aliens and 2 3D glasses for free. The shock was the retail price on Monsters vs Aliens and 2 pairs of glasses was $449. That's not right.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really hope I misread you and you're really meaning to say that today's 3D is better than the old red and blue glasses.

9. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    You also have to remember that 20 years ago when stuff "actually flew off the screen at you" it was suuuper gimmicky and caused a lot of unnecessary eye strain. 3D today, by comparison, is very immersive.