3d tv

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by beanman, Aug 14, 2011.

1. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    Hey all,
    I'm looking for a new TV to play movies/video games in my "man cave" or whatever you want to call it... anyway, I've been checking out the 3D TVs, and was wondering if anyone has any good/bad experiences or recommendations for me.

Most likely trying to get 40+ inches, and not looking to break the bank.

2. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    I'll through my 2 cents out there. First off I do not own a 3D TV nor do I have any interest in owning a 3D TV. From what I read, heard and seen consumer 3D just isn't that good, granted I can't speak to the gaming side of things but as far as movies and TV it's along way from where it should be. But on the other hand todays 3D TV are some of the absolute best 2D TV's that money can buy. So IMHO if you can get a 3D TV in the size you want without spending a butt load more money for the same size 2D TV then go for it. If not I'd just go with an nice 2D version maybe spend the extra money on a few more inches, maybe 50'' or 55'', you will never hear any one say '' I wish I'd bought a smaller TV.''

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got a Samsung, 2 of them now. The only thing I'll recommend is make sure you get one that has Bluetooth communication with the glasses. It's much better than the infra red, and you get little to no ghosting. I got mine for gaming over movies, and it does look great. Granted, it depends on the games you're playing, but the number of games that take better advantage of the feature is growing.

LG has a TV that's cheaper and even uses the cheaper passive 3D glasses. It's a great and cheap way to go in, but you will lose some picture quality. Wherever you go to buy it, test the TV out before you buy it to make sure you're happy with the result. Don't judge the TVs capability on a movie, because a movie like Coraline is going to look a shitload better than Green Hornet, because one was shot in 3D and the other wasn't. The best thing to test on it is a video game.

And that's the problem. You can't. It sounds more like you're trying to dissuade someone from buying one simply because you don't like them, and even then, without actually experiencing what most people are really buying them for right now (which is gaming). 3D at home looks better than in the theater, because of the sharpness of the screen and the fact that the brightness compensates for the double image, which is a bit more difficult to do in the theater. I play Motorstorm in 3D, and the ability to judge the distance between incoming objects coming at 100mph is amazing in 3D. While shooters don't benefit so much from that element, the feeling of experience depth in the environment you are wading through is freakin sweet.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    EDITED: for content, came across alittle to crass.

Like I said I can't comment on the gaming side of 3D. But as far as movies and home theater there are better places to put the money than 3D.

5. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I Just cant stand wearing glasses to watch TV. I'll wait for the Glasses-less 3D TV.

6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

You will either be waiting a long time, or forever, unless you are okay with a very small screen and very limited viewing range.

3D at home is definitely better than the theatre, and games are really where it's at. I can't wait for Uncharted 3 because the 3D looks amazing so far in the trailers.

I have a Samsung, and I like it quite well. I do wish I had bluetooth and not infrared, but it's not that big a deal. There are the passive screens which have the advantage of price of glasses, but as Prowl' pointed out, some drawbacks as well.

7. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guess I'll ask.So it looks like I'll be buying a new tv, After checking out what's available these seem to be the best within my price range.
    Should I go for a Panasonic GT20, a Samsung series 7 C7000, a Samsung series 6 C6900, or a Samsung series 6 D6600?

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

the biggest drawback is the glasses...not having it on while watching 3D is crap or if you wear prescription glasses to begin with.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But A) you can turn it off, but B), I wear glasses and the 3D glasses are made in a way that fit comfortable over your glasses, so it's not like you feel the pressing your own glasses onto your face.

I still have my infrared TV upstairs and it still works very well, you just have to let it warm up sometimes to give you the better image, otherwise, you do get some ghosting. But I played all of Killzone 3 with my infrared TV and it looked amazing.

Not gonna pretend to know enough about the differences between them to make a judgement call. It's too early in the game. Sony seems to make a great TV, as does Panasonic, but the one thing that made me go with Samsung for my 55' is cosmetic. It was between a Samsung and a Sony, but the newer Samsungs have like almost NO EDGES, (I'd guess like less than half an inch around the edge), so while you still get 55 inches, it feels like the screen is floating in the air, because you don't see the dark edges of your TV.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  10. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see. Thanks. Might go with the Samsung, they seem to have the better collection of 40'. My room is pretty small and a large tv would be overkill.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you plan on doing this at Best Buy, check out their bundles. I got all four Shrek movies and Megamind, plus the blutooth glasses and BD player included. The Shrek movies look great in 3D, as does Megamind.

12. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    If you don't mind me asking, whhat model is the bluetooth equipped samsung that you have?

Also, I appreciate the input.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that's a Samsung offer, not a Best Buy offer. I got all that too (though at the time, it was just the Monsters V. Aliens starter kit and not the one with all the Shrek and Megamind), but it wasn't at Best Buy.

It's good to see they're finally releasing some of those exclusives, and I may have to pick up How to Train Your Dragon if it's got some decent special features.