3d Transformers Tutorials

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by prime_force, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prime_force

prime_force Prime Force Art

TO EVERYBODY THAT HAS ALREADY READ AND REPLIED TO THIS THREAD... I HAVE NOW ADDED A BLOG TO MY MYSPACE OF THE 1ST CHAPTER OF MY BOOK TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT YOU WILL BE PURCHASING WHEN I COMPLETE THE WHOLE BOOK (I ALSO JUST FINISHED WRITING CHAPTER 2, BUT WILL ONLY BE SHOWN IN FINAL BOOK). YOU CAN FIND MY MYSPACE ADDRESS IN MY SIGNATURE BELOW. CHEERS.
    Hi to everybody here.... I have been thinking about writing a step by step tutorial ebook with pics included on how to model each of my characters using maya (probably be starting with megatron in the 1st book). The book will also tell you how to transform each character into alt mode and back again. Since Maya PLE is free to download and use... The person will not have to go spending thousands of pounds to do the project. I plan on writing it as a step by step process where the person doing the work will only need to know the simple basics of maya which he can learn quite quickly using the help section of Maya. Once the book is complete, i plan on then putting it up for sale on ebay or other places. Before starting it however, i would like to know if anybody here would even be interested in purchasing it, because ofcourse if it wont selll, there is obviously no point in starting it really. Thank you for your time of reading this. I look forward to your replys. Cheers.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I was thinking about doing something like that when I had the time, but I never did have the time. Oh well; one day maybe. Anyway, I think it's an excellent idea, d00d!

3. prime_force

Cheers Draven. Hows the 3d work with that freelance job you got offered going by the way? Hope all is well.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It went pretty well. I should have the same gig next year too (so that's Botcon 08 sorted ;)  ). I'm currently working on a couple of other commissions, and Redemption Episode Two. It's all go, isn't it :) 

5. prime_force

Thats great m8. Where did you find those job offers by the way if you dont mind me asking? Im really looking forward to your new episode... love the upgrade of Prime by the way.

6. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

I'd buy it, depending on the quality of the models themselves. I would recommend posting one model tutorial for free to generate interest in the ebook.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Where can you download Maya? I mean, If it's free and easy, I'm interested.

8. prime_force

9. prime_force

Here is my megatron model that my 1st book would be of... http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52815186/

10. prime_force

hmmmm, only 2 interested so far then?

11. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    if I could just figure out how to do curved objects properly ( can do them, but not proffesionally ), I could make some really amazing realistic looking stuff, thats the only thing really holding me back

well, and lack of legal software :D  trial versions are ok, but they only last 30 days :( 

12. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Just use splines.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Or pay close attention to smoothing angles.

14. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I have, as well as quad patches as well which I find work decent, but lining them up without getting errors, I can't always do it, not sure what im doing wrong (it's usually something different every time)

http://free-templates-download.com/3dobjects/vehicle/60/60.jpg

here is what I mean, I didn't make this car, I just looked up on yahoo and found it but here is what I mean. I can make the hoods and doors and everything, but see how the door is sticking out in the corner, as well as the obvious errors in the fenders. Stuff like that always gets me, and if I were to try and fix it, somewhere else in the door wouldn't look proper.

then I get frusterated and just delete the whole model :lol  that's another big problem :p 

15. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    http://www.cacheforce.com/newupdpics/suba.jpg

here's another common error I get as well, looking at the hoods scoop there, when the verticies go out of alignment criss crossing the face and you get that messed up blackness. but then when I try to fix it, something else will mess up.

drives me nuts

anyways, not sure why im even bringing this up, since I have no example I can show you at the moment to try and fix, thus any trying to help at the moment would be completely pointless. im just ranting :lol 

16. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

count me in

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    One way to avoid that problem is to model the car's bodywork as one piece, then cut it up afterwards. That's what I normally do for cars and such. (it's also a good way to do a TF and ensure that everything will line up perfectly in alt mode).
    If I did that every time I got frustrated with a model, I wouldn't have any models ;) 
    As for the issues with the second model; what I do personally when something like that happens is delete the offending polys (keeping the points) and rebuild them manually.
    Actually, that's a nice things about Lightwave; its modeller gives you an infinite number of layers to work in, and the ability to "onion skin" other layers in the background. So I:
    1) cut the polys from the model, and paste them into 2 layers
    2. kill one layer's polys, leaving the points, and put the other layer in the background as a template (the shape should be fine, just the polys are damaged, so you can still use the original points to rebuild them)
    3. rebuild the polys and copy/paste them back onto the model

18. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I think I still have that Primus model I was working on months back on my hard drive

I should try to work on it some more if I ever get time

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yes. You should. That was amazing work man, I would LOVE to see it finished.

20. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    me too dude.

maybe if anyone else is up to it, I could share the model file, and we could do a big collaberation on it, everyone adding stuff to it.

I even went as far as to add trypticon and scorponok in their city modes to the shoulder and back eh, I just never showed anyone those parts yet cuz I wanted to keep it a secret till it was finished. I was gonna put all the city bots on there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.