3D Artwork: 3d Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Tidlewave25, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Tidlewave25

Tidlewave25 Banned

I have recently completed my latest project of starscream armada using maya. If anyone has time to give me theyre opinion of it, it would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

If anyone is interested in buying this model, it is available on turbosquid. My models of Tidalwave and a transformer I invented called mega drive are also available on there. Please follow this link for the starscream model.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/285396

Attached Files:

2. Turnip

Turnip Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Umm...excuse me for being naive but isn't selling 3-d models based on a corporations copyrighted material illegal?

3. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I think it's more like selling original art (I bought a few pieces from Jake a few years ago for cold, hard cash). I don't think he's trying to take profits away from Hasbro as they are quite selling 3D models.

It's an interesting idea. It's give novice modelers a chance to look at something completed and be able to take it apart and such... I think the prices are a bit high though (for uses like studying it for practice)

The model, I like, but it's kinda stubby in the legs. Otherwise not much Armada fan art in awhile. Nicely done.

4. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Hmm.... a bit pricey, I think. My overall reaction is that it's okay. It isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. I mean, it's good that you went ahead and took the initiative to texture it because I'd have to say that's really the thing that's making this stand out from most of the models out there. Asides from Draven and myself, most people just slap on a material shader and adjust it accordingly. So, it's definitely nice to see someone else who's trying to go for more complex textures.

Now for the cons. There seems to be a lot of issues with the geometry in terms of form and proportion. I don't know what you used for references, but I have a toy of Armada Starscream and I can tell you right now that there are things that don't quite mesh with the toy or even the character design sheets. One suggestion I have for future endeavors would be to sketch out the different orthographic views (front, sides, rear, etc.) and tweak them before going straight to the modeling. This way, it'll save you the time of having to play around with what you think should be the correct size.

Also, I am interested if you have blendshapes for facial animation and a full character rig in addition to the transformation skeleton (assuming you did a bone setup).

One more thing, if you have any animations, it might be good to post them just to show off what your model can do.

Btw, it's always nice to see another Maya user who loves Transformers. :) 

Oh and Turnip, I don't think that he can get sued because he's selling the model, not the character, though I could be wrong. I'm not entirely sure because there is a gray area for these kind of things.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone had any luck selling their TF models online through a retailer such as turbosquid?

5. reillyd

reillyd Well-Known Member

It's only illegal when you get caught :rock 

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    TurboSquid take half of what he's charging He's actually getting VERY little for his work. This is why I don't use it myself.

7. Tidlewave25

Tidlewave25 Banned

Thanks for every ones comment so far. To answer one of Star Crackers questions, the model is fully rigged using forward and inverse kinematics skeleton and can be animated as you wish. I will be working on the morph targets for facial animation next. I wouldnt class turbo squid as the best place to sell your models really, you do also only get 50% of what you sell it for. The model of Mega Drive i created is also on turbo squid and has sold a few, not loads though, as i said, turbo squid aint that good of site really. If anyone wants to look at mega drive, I have added him to the reccomendations section on the right of the starscream page on turbosquid as is tidalwave. Thanks again.

8. Tidlewave25

Tidlewave25 Banned

forgot to mention sorry, the mega drive model is the bmw x5 transformer in the reccommendations.

9. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

he looks cool, the robot mode looks a little squashy and stumpy though

10. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Can you make him taller?

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, but that starscream is to fat, its as if he has no lower torso. I give it a 2/10.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Looks great. Only the legs seem a bit short and he's a little dull around the edges.
    Blows anything away I'll ever do tho