Customs: 3d prints how do i correct the bottom of my prints

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by phoenixliger, May 21, 2017.

1. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    Ok for starters i own a Monoprice select mini
    It does an amazing job on any thing that is flat but anything that is elevated not so much

I use Cura for my slicer
    and my settings are as followed
    Layer .03
    Shell density .8
    Bottom/top thickness 6
    Fill density 20

to show you what im talking about here are two images that show the bottoms of two different pieces

20170521_173015.jpg 20170521_172943.jpg
    One is ruff where the other is smooth any friendly help would really be appreciated

2. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you using supports? Does it have a cooling fan (I assume your printing in pla?) I'd probably print the parts the way up they are in the photos.

3. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    yes to all those questions. the problem with printing in the direction you suggest is theres a lot of detail that would get marred from the print process

I did think about printing it standing straight up witch would reduce the surface area and leave for a cleaner print I just havent tried it yet

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Obviously, the surface that sits flat on the bed will be flat, while the other one doesn't and isn't (if I'm seeing it right).

One thing I do is if I have a part that is detailed on all sides with no flats is to split the part down the middle, print the two halves and glue/peg them together.

5. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    Thanks i just did that with a set of rocket launchers im working on. This piece would have to be broken down into 4 pieces Front, Rear, gun and wheel.i still got to rebuild a few other pieces before this one gets finished but i will let you know how it turns out

6. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

There's no magic bullet here. If you have an underside that doesn't rest flat on the print plate, it's going to be rough. Even moreso where the supports connect. You might be able to minimize it to some extent by tweaking the temperature you print at and the retraction and all that, but I'm pretty sure you can't do away with it altogether with a Select Mini.

If cura's supports are too messy for you, you can try meshmixer which is a free software that handles supports much better than cura and it even lets you customize the supports, removing the ones that connect to a spot you don't want messed up and adding supports where you think it could use them. I've used it for some parts I had my buddy print for me and I liked the results.

If you're not averse to throwing out some money for a better slicer program, I'm told simplify3d does a better job of slicing than Cura. I haven't used either though (don't have a 3d printer yet) so I can't comment on that.

Beyond that, all you can do is file and sand down the rough areas and use some sort of filler for any holes. There are lots of things you can use as a filler. Personally I use a set of needle files and/or a dremel to file down the nasty areas, followed by sanding and I fill the holes with apoxie sculpt: it's rock solid when cured and sands nicely but it has a 24 hour cure time which might turn you off if you're in a hurry.

Also, the select mini can do a 30 micron layer height? Seriously? My buddy has a maker select v2 which is the printer I'm planning on getting and I thought it could only go down to 50 microns minimum. He usually prints at 60 but I'll be using the absolute best resolution I can get out of it. I also plan to get a .2mm nozzle to quadruple the xy resolution as well: damn the long print times - I want the best quality prints I can get out of the thing.

• Like Like x 2
  7. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    thanks Im still new to the whole 3d printing so i appreciate all the info and so far the printers are doing better Ball joints joints don't seem to fair to well but everything else on my models is coming out excellent. Im in the process of printing my first fully transformable figure. so far its a bit loose because of that ball joint issue i said earlier

again thanks for every ones input
    Ill keep you guys posted on how every thing works out