Customs: 3d Printers and Rapid Prototyping?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by yourreflection, Oct 5, 2009.

1. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

Has anyone here gone either route of 3d printers or rapid prototyping before? If so, just wandering what your experience was like with either one.

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I believe someone here in Radicons has used 3-D printing to do some custom WST-scaled figures, if I'm not mistaken. They looked great (they were already painted up, so it's hard to really know how clean they came out originally, but they definitely looked factory). I've never tried it, but it has always intrigued me. Maybe someone who knows more about it can be of more help.

Boggs6ft7 had a thread earlier this year where he showed a sample that he had done for $18 shipped. Here's a link: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-general-discussion/218979-rapid-prototyping-sample.html

Are you thinking of prototyping the items you've been creating and casting? Or something else? Either way, hope you find what you're after, man.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

My other thread has pretty much everything you could want to know, I've got other threads on here as well talking about rapid prototypers.

Basically, it boils down to this: You get what you pay for.

The part I got was inexpensive, but the detail was lacking. For me to get the detail I wanted, I was going to have to pay upwards of 200-300 dollars.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

And to think i was just about to post my results with it...

Boggs6ft7 is right, though. It's all about money. You want more detail, you want a bigger size, it's gonna cost you. I used Shapeways.com to print mine, turned out fine. Damn durable as well, that thing.

Just be careful that if you dremel it, you might end up melting the plastic, which would wreck your dremel bits.

5. yourreflection

Thanks for the tread link hXcpunk23, it was pretty helpful. Yes, I am thinking of prototyping some items for casting. I'm just looking into options to achieve a better quality for everyone.

Thanks for all the great info Boggs6ft7. I"ll have to look into this for more detail. I'm currently leaning towards shelling out the money for a high res 3d print. I'd like to see first hand what I could get for the money.

Treadshot, do you have pics of what you printed? Thanks for the dremel tip. I'm sure you just saved me lots of money.

Thanks again guys!

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Y_R It excites me, deeply, to see you pursuing this discussion.

USA-Edition-"Fans-Project" ladies and gents: this hobby is really starting to look up ;) 

D/L

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Too bad I couldn't save my dremel bits... :(  Although, there is another way to get it off your bits, which is simply to use them again, as the heat thatmelted the plastic onto your dremel will also melt it off. Get it?

And, yes, i do have a pic, it's attached. Just very low quality, but you get the idea. It's that huge sword in the front. The paintwork was originally better, but it's been scratched and dented due to travel and stuff.

Attached Files:

8. yourreflection

I've got to admit. The idea of providing for kitbashers of all skill levels and developing this hobby really interest me. I'm really curious about the Fansproject guys as well. I wish I could find more information about them like their back story. I always enjoy reading about how people first start out.

I really appreciate the advice and pic Treadshot. I've requested a few samples from different 3d printers. Again, I really appreciate your help.

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Anytime, man--glad to see you're getting some help on this from those that have tried or experienced this. Keep us updated on what you do, bro.