3d printer!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

as the prices drop in this technology could we see the rise in software based toy products, ie purchase the years tfs on dvd and print them at home? or even action figure creation programs, I looked into this stuff for a project at one point in university years ago and the possibilities are very exciting. I can only imagine the possibilities this will create for you.

Something like this would encourage me to develop 3d modelling skills to develop a brand of cost effective, customizable toys and brands.

Do get one, as this is the way forward for sure.

Also for the family on a limited budget there is the possibility to choose which plastics, from the ko quality upwards. New plastics technology is also going forward everyday, making these things cheaper, one could in theory ensure their childs safety by making sure the plastics are non toxic.

But add to that interactive design software and a person could get a lot of distance from one type of program, creating customisable figurines.

Very exciting. I did not realise the prices were coming down to such an affordable level. Though still very steep, but it can still only go down.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I got some stuff made from a pinter with a higher resolution than this one and I wasn't all that impressed. It was extrememly inexpensive, but you get what you pay for.

Being as this is a being formed from depositied material, you may not like the finish. It can be sanded though. If you are just doing rough parts and then adding on stryene details later, it may work okay.

I would like to see some closeups of some printed objects from this printer.

4. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    I can see reproduction parts being so much easier to make with this, as well as scratch-builds.

5. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I always wanted to get some of my 3d Stuff printed out but could never afford it.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    the company has a form for a sample.

7. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats a sweet little machine. For the price it is ok but the quality will be really grainy most likely.

I just asked for one, thanks. They will probably end up sending a sample done on there highest end machine though.

8. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

We should, like totally, pitch in money to get this printer. We can keep it at my house and when you guys need parts I can have them shipped to your place on me. Easy!

9. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Yeah, watch out with these things- I just finished a university research project using a 3d printer, and there were several problems
    1-the amount of detail leaves A LOT to be desired
    2-very sandy/grainy material that isn't all that solid...
    don't know how it would compare to this particular machine, but just thought I'd throw in the warning!

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I don't think the technology is quite ready yet. For $15,000 I would expect perfect parts ready for painting.

Maybe in 10-15 years these will be 1/10 the price and the quality will be acceptable.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think the parts need to be that solid, as you could still use the fabricated parts to create a mold to cast a "real" part from. These things still make it a million times easier to scratch-build things since anyone can draw straight lines in a program, whereas it takes a well-honed skill to cut and measure parts by hand.

12. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Yeah the parts could serve as a decent base, but when you're dropping 15 grand and up, I'd think you would want it to be a little better.

13. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    knock a digit off and I'd take 2

14. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Agreed, we had one at my Highschool when I graduated afew years back, and I wasnt all that impressed about it....

It does print accurate based on a 3D render...however they come out very edgy and even have pixelated edges...

And the printing agent used to create the 3D images are still extremley expensive and I would urge anyone who purchased one to think wisely about what you want to print.....

15. rdschouw

rdschouw New Member

It depends on the machine. ZCorp printers are really not that impressive.

Though there are other and better 3D printers available, but these are even more expensive. You could use on of those 3D print internet services.

16. autobotmaximus

autobotmaximus toasty goodness

printto3d.com has one of the larger machines from them. ive gotten parts from them and they are fantastic:thumb 

17. rdschouw

rdschouw New Member

18. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    I think your expectations are a little high.
    Even the machine that are 20 - 30 times as expensive don't give perferct parts straight off the machine.

I think thats an excellent price given the age of the technology.
    10 years ago I was working with parts from one of these printers. the parts needed to be moulded and cast in resin before ANY work could be done on them and that was from a machine costing £500,000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.