3D 'not slowing Michael Bay down'

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bumblethumper, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Here's an interesting comment ... from no less a person than Ridley Scott.

Asked about the difficulties of shooting in 3D, Scott had this to say:

"I was told it (shooting in 3D) was going to slow us down… it didn't slow (Michael) Bay down. Bay is moving like lightning,"

Holy crap! Quint chats ALIEN, the upcoming Alien Prequels and 3D with Sir Ridley Scott! -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

Not that much of a big deal, but it's almost a compliment from one of Hollywood's most highly regarded filmmakers. Maybe this'll offer some reassurance for those worried that TF3 will be hampered by the technique.

STAFF EDIT: There has also been confirmation that Transformers 3 will be filmed in native 3D: http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/07/exclusive-transformers-3-will-be-native.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Hey, and they're shooting in 3D!

Here's some hope that the 3D might be halfway decent instead of "ZOMG ROBOT EXPLOSIONS COMING AT YOU"

3. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see how 3D would slow down Bay during principal photography. All he shoots is running and explosions. The real trick will be in post when is time to put the Transformers in Transformers. This would seem the perfect movie for a retroactive 3D "upgrade" as rending this much CGI in 2D is hard enough, and 3D is just a lame cash-grab anyway. This just seems a lot more work for such a limited creative reward. Financially, it's a no-brainer of course.

It's a shame, though, because his dislike of 3D was one of the very few things I liked about Bay...

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the BIG difference here. "Shooting" in 3D will make this movie look fucking awesome. It's when they convert it to 3D that's both virtually impossible, unless they go frame by frame and separate layers,and even then you won't get depth from a person's nose, for example). But when they shoot (animate) in 3D from the start, we're in for something special. Those fucking robots are going to be coming right out of the screen.

Gimmick, or not, I don't give a fuck, it looks amazing when done right.

Not if the entire scene is composited from the start (They'd just need double the horse power or computers for each scene). I took a 3 year old commercial I did in After Effects and Maya, added a second virtual camera at eye's length from the other one, rendered two "eyes", took it home, plugged it into my PS3, turned on 3D on my TV and Wallah, 3D monkeys in a jungle. The difficulty is thinking ahead that when you shoot a background slate in 3D, that the distance from your source matches the camera in your modeling software. But that's all simple Math for the people who know how to do it, and do it for a living.

And again, as with all 3D to this day... Turn off one eye, and there is your 2D version. Nothing lost to those who don't care for it (well unless you mind knowing that the movie is 1inch to the right or left from where it would have been, dead center.)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  5. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I didn't know he was shooting in 3D... I don't like it, but I may be intrigued to see this... only to see if it is cool. I know I was disappointed by the 3D in Avatar, didn't really add anything to the movie for me. This and the new Resident Evil have me intrigued... although I've hated everything I've seen in 3d, not for the movie, just the fact that the 3D added nothing.

Ridley Scott? Hmm,maybe Bay is asking advice and opinions. Although he's cocky, wouldn't surprise me if these guys talk and share info, they are, afterall, contemporaries.

6. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

When I first glanced at this thread's title, I thought it said something about Michael Bay forcing his way out of making the movie 3D. But that's only a dream :( 

I mean, I don't wanna see Optimus Prime shout, "shoot at that Decepticon!" as he's pointing to the camera and his finger's coming out of the screen.

7. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Just don't see the 3D version. I don't like 3D either, but shooting in 3D doesn't make the movie look worse in 2D, though judging off the last movie, there may be additional scenes in 3D.

8. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Given how the last movie turned out, I'd be more comforted if I knew Michael Bay was taking his time to do something right.

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Transformers in 3D are gonnabe freaking AWESOME!!!

10. Thepower911

Thepower911 Decepticon

I don't know what some people are talking about, But I could tell the difference in Avatar 3D and the normal 2D showing..I think this is great that the movie will be in 3D, cause I can tell the difference -_-'.

11. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Now I have to stop buying Transformers so I can buy a 3d tv so I can watch it at home when it's out on blu-ray.

12. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Sounds cool, but I'll probably see TF3 in 2D first... unless I have no choice and it's one of those movies where the entire thing is based around being in 3D. If it's called "Transformers 3D" I'm punching babies.

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Wow, I love how all the commenters in that AICN article freaking out because Scott gave Bay some props on an issue that is purely production-oriented.

14. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

As long as I get TF 3, we're good. Although, if it is going to have some 3-D, might as well be done decently.
    3-D is being used alot, several people say the movies make poor use of it.

15. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Yeah I know. Some people just don't have an appreciation for it, and for them it's just as an added expense.

I agree that it doesn't always benefit a movie, and I don't think everything needs to be 3D. But a movie like Transformers is a natural for 3D, since it's a visual rollercoaster ride in the first place.

I think it'll be an awesome spectacle to see transformers so real you want to reach out and touch them. 3D works better for some things than others, and Transformers should be particularly impressive because of all the individual moving parts at different distances from the camera. You'll get a very real sense of what's going on with the transformations and how they all fit together.

They also have a similar background in that both got their start shooting commercials and developed a very polished visual style working in such a short format. There's probably a lot of mutual understanding there that comes from dealing with a lot of the same issues and the same pressures involved with such big-budget movies.

16. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    True dat. :(  Why did you fall to Paramount and Dreamworks' peer pressure, Bay? Why? Damn you, James Cameron.

Still very unhappy about the 3-D. Aw well. Maybe down the way, Bay will make public comments about how much he hates 3-D. Hopefully, but too crazy...

17. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

seriously what is wrong with 3d and some people hating on it. Look if you dont like 3d STFU and go watch the 2d version in peace.

the 3d version in no way will impact you or the film lol. God everyone makes it sound like the film being 3d is only going to be in 3d .

Personally I like 3D cause you get to feel immersed in whats going on and when your tv screen is large enough it just stops feeling like a movie and more of an experiance.

hell I cant wait for holographic movies where i can walk into the action and just look at what ever I want like a ghost spectator.

But seriously stop hating on 3D it only adds the realism some of us really want from a film and it doesnt bug you other folks

18. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing I think I know about Bay is that he doesn't fall into peer preasure easily. I recently listened to BB1 commentary and he talked about how Columbia pictures wouldn't let him shoot a certain scene and he had to wrap up, but he wrote a check to shoot a specific action scene. That was in his first movie. We all know the story about the pyramids. And now he was not happy at all with the 3D. Unless he can shoot in 3D and make it look really good he was not willing to post convert just to make 3$ more a ticket.

Regardless I'm seeing it in 2D for first show no matter how good the 3D is

19. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    He probably still dislikes 3D. He said it was merely a gimmick. But you can't argue with the public. At the end of the day it's their movie and they want 3D

20. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Money, not peer pressure is what decides these things. If Bay was financing the film himself, he could do it whatever way he wanted.