3D Artwork: 3D G1 Ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Silver Bullit, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

I started this guy about a year ago. MAny projects later, I have returned to him. I am almost done. As you can see, I really suck at faces.

SB

2. enduser0001

enduser0001 Autobuddy

Hmm, not sure why you think that you suck at making faces, I think that it liooks pretty good so far.
    I would be the first or one of the first 10 to say if there was seriously something wrong with his face.
    I like this allot and I can't wait to see the finished piece.

3. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Silver Bullit, your Ironhide isn't that bad. It seems like you have the gist of it pretty much down. If you really want to learn how to model faces, I would suggest searching for online tutorials, primarily when it comes to box-modeling a human head. Believe me, it will assist you immensely in your great cause to model G1 Ironhide. :) 

4. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    To be honest, I've been looking at face tutorials for about 5 years. Not one has ever helped me get anything remotely decent. Every time I've done soemthing that looks decent, I've been playing around doing other things. Instead of specific face tutorials, I'd recommend checking out tutorials for modelling in general for the tips they give - splines, cutting, extruding, bevelling, the whole works. As Star Cracker suggested, box modelling tutorials, but unlike him, I say relating to anything, not just faces. ANd I'm finding more and more these days, for hero characters (that is, anyone who's face is to be seen up close and personal), I'm using splines and the max surface modifier to get the basic shape, then refining with edit poly.

But that's just me.

In terms of the model, I like it. Some nice detail on the ankle, where a lot of people (myself included) forget to put anything to make the joint look interesting, and a good solid build. Suits the character fine. I think by and large, you've got the face shape already... what you do with it now depends on how you want the character portrayed.

5. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

I've been working on the face a bit. I finally have something I can live with. The nose seems to have a mesh error... (come to think of it, I get a LOT of mesh errors since upgrading XP to Service Pack 2. Wonder if there is a connection. Hmmmm) but I'll have to remodel that.

I am still using Truespace 4... a version older than the very nature of box modeling. One day I will spring for 5.2. I believe that version has box modeling. It is way more advanced than 4. One nice thing that 5.2 has is "Facial Animator"- a module that really helps in making faces, and vocal animation.

But for now, this...

SB

6. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I don't think the face is bad, you just have to finish it. Looking good :thumbs2: 

7. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

as far as i can see there are no problems at all with him, all he needs is finishing! keep up the good work

8. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Not too bad, looks a bit flat though. May I ask what you are using for reference and what stylization or 'look' you are going for?

9. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

For overall reference, I am using a picture that, I think, Makoto did. His was pretty much like the G1 version- but better. As for the face, someone posted some line work of Ironhide's face for me... but I just couldn't translate it into something "real". So I grabbed a pencil and paper and came up with something more "do-able"- for me at least.

What look am I goiung for? What style? I don't know anything about styles... and teh look I am going for is a non-transformable G1 Ironhide character.

SB

10. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

really good needs hands though :lol 

11. Baby Bumblebee

Baby Bumblebee Well-Known Member

looks pretty darn close to ironhides face. keep up the good work.