3D Figure development subforum?

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Tech Support' started by MisterFanwank, Dec 15, 2011.

1. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Currently people like FakeBusker, MoonBaseTom, TreadshotA1, f-primusunicron and myself have threads in the Transformers Fan Art subforum for our 3D figure and accessory designs.

Because our designs themselves are not physical objects they do not belong in the Radicons Customs subforum. However, our works and processes have far more in common with making custom figures than fan art. It seems to me that this field of art is stuck in a place where it does not belong because the only other place where it could be does not allow it until a physical product has been produced.

I suggest a new subforum in the creative tab be created based around functional 3D figure and accessory design. It could be called "Parametricon Designs," where the name "Parametricon" comes from the type of 3D modeling used to precisely design parts, "parametric modeling."

Creating a subforum for functional 3D figure and accessory design would allow for this type of art to be visible from the front page of the forums. This would be useful because it would allow people who are interested in seeing figure development to have all threads relevant to their interest in one place, much like people who are interested in seeing custom figures can simply go to the Radicons Customs subforum. Currently finding threads about functional 3D figure and accessory design requires a fair amount of sifting through the Transformers Fan Art subforum.

I'm not trying to say that each type of art in the world should have its own subforum. I realize you must draw the line for what should have its own subforum and what should not. However, I think functional 3D figure and accessory design is significant enough that it deserves its own subforum, especially because Shapeways makes it feasible for these designs to become a reality.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thank you for the suggestion. However, we feel Fan Art is an appropriate place for the work and have no current plans to further divide the creative forums into sub forums. Thanks.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Since using services like Shapeways requires items to be made into renders, the thread prefix options really helps wit this. When an artist creates threads for their renders, choosing the "3-D Artwork" prefix allows for this type of sort:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope that helps as well, and you guys keep cranking out your work! :thumb 

Attached Files: