3D Artwork: -=| 3D |=- Citroen C4 Ice skater revisited...

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by -=|cerebros|=-, Jun 20, 2006.

1. -=|cerebros|=-

-=|cerebros|=- Headmaster Commander

I know you've all seen it but this version/copy is of a little better quality and its the first time I've seen the longer cut online. Skip if you've already seen it...

http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/reel_player.php?kGYyqxCyDZ

Done by the Mill in london here's a brief breakdown for the 3D minded amongst us. Lot's of onset hdri foto's/roto but kinda they cheaped out (imho) by making the car silver... (it's the "easiest" car color (next to black) to get right). Couple this with a good mo-cap session, (doing this on Ice is not as difficult as they lead you to believe) and a nice smooth transform sequence just goes to show what we fx people can do these days : ) .Comped in flame with lot's of roto work on desktop boxes and some practical stuff thrown in for the hell of it...

Personally I would have loved more interaction with the environment and the people but they need to have something for the C5 spot to aim for.

Njoy

C.

2. Cataraks

Cataraks Decepticon Cannibal

Actually, the reason for the car being silver had nothing to do with the "ease" of the realism. Silver, and Black, are usually percieved as "high class" colors, or colors for the rich. You'll notice MOST cars that are advertised towards that demographic will be silver, or black.

Trucks? Why, Trucks are for the working man, and are meant to show off power, so usually, they're red, or white (white being a color associated with small business vehicles)

There's a whole psychology of color applied to car advertising in general.

That being said, I liked the commercial, but I think it does a poor job of advertising the car itself. I only notice the name because I'm a 3d transformer guy, and want to know what to type in when I'm doing searches for the commercial =-/

3. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    CanĀ“t see...

4. -=|cerebros|=-

-=|cerebros|=- Headmaster Commander

Yeah I know about the "psych 101" behind all that "sell 'em their dream bit" done in advertising. I'm quite guilty of participating in it myself with the kind of work I do

However talking to one of the 3d guys who worked on it, they pushed for silver over a blue metallic color for the citroen because of the technical "ease". He was relieved when they were told to make the car silver... Fun commercial though, still would have liked more interaction and the car doing more things...

C.

5. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

First time I have seen the longer one.
    Much cooler.
    Thanks for the heads up, Cerebros!

6. Cataraks

Cataraks Decepticon Cannibal

hm, I wonder if the blue in particular posed a problem, cause they do use other colors on the robot.

Any word on what about it was easier?

7. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

The "new" scenes are a nice touch.

8. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I have never seen that before. I like it! I'm glad that they used a new transformation, and didn't just hash their break dancing robot.