3D Artwork: 3D Cell shaded G1 Megatron WIP

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Kthardin, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Kthardin

Kthardin Well-Known Member

Having seen quite a bit of Draven's works as well as the works of several others on this board has inspired me to try my hand at this. My first attempt was, of course, Optimus Prime. I would say it was a decent attempt, and certainly a learning experience, but not quite what I wanted. This, on the other hand, is turning out better as far as that goes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the moment I'm going for more of the animated look (hence the Cell shading and rudimentary, if any, joints) with the eventual goal of making a possible fanimation reminicent of the original G1 series.

So, how does he look so far?

On a slightly different note...

When I was doing Optimus Prime, the hardest part was certainly his hands. In the series, they are little more than human hands with lines drawn on the areas that signify joints for the most part. This didn't quite compute when I was making them, and since then I've been trying to figure out how to make a more robotic looking hand that incorporated elements of both the humanoid looking hands and the mechanical hands that most artists are using in their works presently. The biggest problem was the opposable thumbs and how it relates to the rest of the hand at rest and when it bends to touch the pinky finger (thus bending fully half the palm as well). Just tossing on a ball joint made the hand look bad, and every other kind of connection that I tried tended not to quite have the freedom of motion the thumb needs. Anyone else have these problems? And if so, how were they solved?

2. The Librarian

The Librarian Well-Known Member

It's a good start, but the proportions are a little off. the waist and thighs are a little too broad, the abdomin's pretty much alright but the upper body needs to be broader and taller.

Funny, for some reason those are the complaints I see in many modeller's early work. Mine kind of had the opposite problem and ended up looking like they had chicken legs. :D 

Anyway, back to your work (and very nice colours and leg detailing, by the way) a few tweeks and it should look great. As for hands...well, I've had great difficulty with mine, so I don't know how much advice I can give. Mine are awkward and imperfect. If you can get hold of a Dreamwave comic, particularly More Than Meets the Eye issue #8, examine how artists draw the mechanism. Some of them give quite good pointers.

Keep at it :thumbs2: 

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I agree ahout the upper body being to "small". Other than that it's looking good so far, man. Keep us posted!
    As for the thumb joint, this is how I did it. The ball joint will be covered with armour when the hand is covered.

4. Kthardin

I've been using footage from both the Transformers the Movie and the TV series for references, so I'll be certain to back and compare the upper torso and get a better fit for how he looked there. Though, that's a bit difficult as the animation of G1 was...imprecise...to put it mildly, heh. For example, did you know for the movie, the normally 'rounded' legs of Megatron were more squared off, like you see in my model? That was a tough call, deciding which version to use. I used the squared off ones, mostly because I thought they looked better. I've also been using Hasbro's 20th anniversary Optimus for cues on proportion. Given that Megatron is, at many points, proportionally identical to Prime in the cartoon, I may have been using him too much and made Megatron too identical to Prime's proportions...I'll be sure to look into it, especially in the upper torso area.

Draven, when you cover his hands in armor, can you post pictures of it with the thumb both relaxed and opposed, palm up and palm down? I'd really like to see how the armor reacts and looks in those positions, if at all possible.

Thanks be to both of you!

5. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Your best bet is to model all the individual parts accurately, then adjust the proportions as you see fit. When everything is made, you can tell when things are off.

6. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

If I still have it on my HD, I'll see about posting some pics of how I did the hand for my seekers a while back.

From what I see of your model, it's pretty decent for starting off at a beginner's level. One thing I have to recommend though, is that when building the robot mode, give them human-humanlike proportions.

That said, the typical male is around eight heads tall with the knees at two heads tall, legs slightly above four heads, and torso going up to seven heads (that's including neck). This should help out.

And on a side note, I really wanna get my Megatron WIP model posted at some point. This damn M1 Tank and its UV maps.... Grrr..... :redface2: 

7. Kthardin

Alright, I sat there and went through several episodes of Transformers, taking screen caps and rotoscoping Megatron over the model in various positions, and aside from the imperfections of the artwork, these are the proportions he was generally drawn in within the series and movie. Which is what I was going for...a more perfect version of cartoon Megatron. Comparing him to a human, I can definately see where they screwed up the proportions, especially in the leg area. Perhaps I'll make a more human like proportionate model in the future, but right now, I'm really going for the cartoon look...minus the art imperfections (you know, like lines appearing from nowhere, odd bends where there probably shouldn't be, miscolorations, etc.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is also why I've decided on simply keeping the bending straight edge joints in his hips and elbows. Admitedly they were simply shortcuts in the original cartoon, but with enough technobabble, one could come up with an explanation. In my case, if the flexible red covering (flex metal or memory metal if you will) were removed, you'd see Megatron's elbow joints.

So, aside from that, how's he lookin'?