3D Artwork: 3D 2007 MOVIE PRIME

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by prime_force, Feb 6, 2007.

1. prime_force

prime_force Prime Force Art

Hi, i would like to take the challenge of building the 2007 movie version of prime in 3d myself (not expecting it to be as good as the movie ofcourse, but like to take on a challenge). Unfortunately with the images i have, it is impossible to figure out how that transformation works. if anyone has any pics that they think may help, i would greatly appreciate seeing them. Thank you.

2. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    it looks just plain impossible to me, but then again, so does ratchet, until you see the step by step photos and see that his entire top half of his body spins upwards connected by a single long thin piece then swivels back down again facing the other way up

3. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    I was the one that gave you the challenge to draw him...but 3D works, OP though his transformation is a little tougher to desifer. See, his legs have the normal 2 tires on each side...but they become part of his feet....I tihnk you should do the drawing untill we have enough material to say we have the actualy Op...I have seen 2 different designs of him know. His concept didnt have the hood as the chest, but on that new magazine he had it underneath his chest area. So, best advice draw him. We dont have any drawings of ihm yet!

4. prime_force

could you tell me where those step by step pics of ratchet are please? Thank you.

5. prime_force

Dont worry m8, i will be doing the drawing soon. The charcoal paper i use is being delivered from usa though (im in uk) so still waitin for it to arrive. Ill be posting the drawing in new thread when done. Thanks.

6. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

Movie prime has a seemingly complex transformation at first but the principle behind it is actually rather easy. The clever bit is that it takes full advantage of the long nosed truck, by storing both the forearms and legs in the front. here's a very quick sketch that should help you understand the principle. It was figured out by looking at the repartition of colours on the robot mode pics. I wanted to figure it out and build a 3d model myself but lack of free time prevented me from going past basic blocks.

[​IMG]

The blue bits are normally not visible in truck mode. As you can see, this configuration allows it to have big legs while still having a realistically sized rear section. Plus you still have the whole cabin's bulk to unfold to make movie prime's massive torso and hide his head.

Note that the leader class movie toy cheats a bit, its arms are contained in the cabin's back instead of being in the front. But since the movie version's forearms are completely red, we know they belong in the front (that, and what little you see in the trailer suggests the same).

I hope it'll be helpful, and good luck!

7. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    So the cab then becomes the shoulder blades etc. right????

I never saw it like that. But it does make sense for size variation from his alt and his robot mode.

I was speculating that their would have to be some sort of mass shifting in order for them to putt his size of for that. But I have been proven wrong before, nicley dont this should help him alot in terms of where the legs and arms come from!

8. bobby_C

Yeah, the cab indeed becomes most of the body. They seem to rely a lot on unfolding as a way to do what mass-shifting did without actually doing it. That's why they chose this big model of long-nosed truck for Prime, really gave them room to hide a big robot inside it. I think it's a pretty clever choice.

9. prime_force

Awesome, thank you, that does help thanks. Does anybody know the exact model of the kenworth truck prime is by the way? I know quite a few sites i can get blueprints from but im not sure exactly which 1 it is im looking for. Thanks again.

10. bobby_C

Kenworth W900 or WA900 apparently, but I'm no truck expert so I can't say which exact model.

EDIT: actually, it kinda looks more like a Peterbilt, if the pics I can find online are any indication. A Peterbilt 359 would be my best guess.

11. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Optimus Prime Super Mode Autobots

After i finish this year or uni i am just going to make a replica of the robot mode of prime :) 

12. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    on seibertron.com, theres a link in the main rotating promo on the front page

13. prime_force

good luck with it m8 (optimus prime supermode), i look forward to seeing it. if anyone else knows the vehicle model prime is, i would appreciate knowing because i would like to model a full transforming model of prime. Cheers.

14. prime_force

Thanks

15. prime_force

I think ive found the blueprints i require now. Everyone agree?
    [​IMG]

16. bobby_C

Nah, look at the nose. Movie Optimus' truck has a straight nose, not curved like that, and the front wheels should be at the front of the nose.

I think you'd be better off with a Peterbilt 359, it's much closer to the movie truck:

[​IMG]

17. prime_force

That is much better yes thank you. May i ask where you got those blueprints from please?

18. bobby_C

19. prime_force

Thanks, thats already in my favs list...guess i must have missed that image when i looked. Cheers.

20. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Yep, that's him.