38 Studios and Big Huge Games shuts their doors

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Bendimus Prime, May 24, 2012.

1. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    The startup makers of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and an upcoming MMO finally failed today after a rocky last couple of days.

SOURCE 1: 38 Studios and Big Huge Games Shutting Down [UPDATE]
    SOURCE 2: Gamasutra - News - 38 Studios, Big Huge Games lay off their entire staff

I wasn't too impressed by the KoA demo, but always figured I'd pick the game up when I had the time. It's too bad this happened for the employees, the state of Rhode Island, and in IMO gaming in general. I'm always afraid when these things happen that it would make startups and/or investors think twice about trying to take on the bigger studios. Though whoever at BHG thought it was a good idea to develop a game that required 3 million copies sold to break even was an idiot.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is really sad news. I thought Reckoning was a blast and put over 60 hours into it. It was was more streamlined than something like Skyrim, but still complex enough to have lots of those extras some people (I guess) like to spend time on (like potions). While I doubt I would have stayed on with an MMO in that world, I would have liked to see it come to fruition.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I agree, once you actually get into the swing of it, KoA is a great time in the setting.

4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

wiki shows that they only sold 330,000 physical copies and got good reviews. what went wrong?

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    It was released about a month or so before Mass Effect 3, that may have taken some of its sales.

6. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Wasn't Big Huge Games the company who put Settlers of Catan online?

7. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
  8. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    That, and the state of gaming in 2012 and the expectation of sales by producers.

The game sold 330,000 copies. On it's first outting, Bethedsa sold a little over 10,000 copies of Elder Scrolls 1: Arena in 1994. Look what they went on to do.

Anymore, that's whats really harming gaming as a whole IMO. The expectation from producers and share holders for all games to sell like CoD or WoW.

9. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Some leaked screen shots of Copernicus - the MMO that was being worked on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Is that including digital copies?

I bought all the DLC for this game, and once I worked out how the whole primary/secondary weapon thing worked, how to cross build and crafting, it all fell into place. With a good build and some clever crafting, you're a fucking wrecking ball.

You think EA will keep the game patched, you know, since we have to authenticate to their servers all the time :sly: 

11. AMG

AMG Old School

It's always sad to see a game company go under. There are a lot of talented individuals there, I'm sure they'll be snatched up by other companies.

12. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Actually, Electronic Arts was very pleased with the sales of the game for a new IP and has publicly said so even before all this began. I agree what what you wrote for the most part though but remember that game production costs have gone up, so they need to sell more money. Arena only needed to sell that much because it cost far less to make and gaming was a niche genre then.

What harmed Reckoning was that Schilling dumped tons of money into it (that he got from Rhode Island) and bloated the budget to a point where they needed 3 million to break even -- that's all on Schilling and 38 Studios, not any publisher or share holder. Most publishers would greenlight a sequel to a game with 1.2 million sales, so for the company to fold something went very, very wrong.

You gotta wonder how much he paid to get Rolston, Salvatore and McFarlane all working on this game, ya know? I doubt it was cheap, you gotta say he probably sunk a million into the game right there on those three. Was it really necessary? Probably not.

13. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Sometimes even if the game is successful there are still huge layoffs. Epic Mickey sold over one million copies and Disney still decided to lay off a significant number of Junction Point's employees.

14. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

I also didnt pick up Kingdoms but I planned to and still will I'm sure, I thought it looked like a lot of fun. Sad news.

15. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

I've sunk tons of time into this game and plan on putting in more. This game made me forget I had Skyrim. It's a shame it didn't pay off for all those who worked on it.