360 Wireless Network Adapter

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flywheels, Nov 14, 2007.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright, the wife and I have been shopping around trying to figure out what the best scenario would be for my game room now that other things are starting to fall into place. We've been looking at some of the Black Friday ads on-line and I believe I'm going to try for one of two Olevia TVs early next Friday morning.

That out of the way, I'll finally be able to take my 360 off the computer monitor and hook it up to a better TV. Problem is my router is upstairs (over the garage) and the game room is down stairs (beside the garage). Right now I use a really long ethernet cord for my Xbox Live connection and it works like a charm. That however won't really be an option once I move the console down stairs.

I've been considering MS' wireless adapter (despite the price), but some of the reviews I've been reading haven't been too positive when it comes to playing FPS games on-line. Granted I'm not a Halo 3 junkie, but I do enjoy the occassional big team slayer match. I also read that movie downloads can take a long time too. I know that a wired connection will always be better/stronger than a wireless connection, but I wanted to get feedback from users of MS' wireless network adapter.

My current setup doesn't allow me to download & watch movies (monitor not HDCP compatible) and it there isn't much room for others to play since the console is in my "toy office". I guess I'm at a crossroads here.

Only other option (that I can think of) is that I'd have is to move my router back down stairs and just plug in the ethernet cord when I want to play Xbox. I say that because the ethernet port is on one wall while the TV & game consoles are on the opposite wall...and there is a large walkway into the formal dining room so running a long cord would be very, how shall I say, ugly. Moving the router would also mean that the internet signal on the computer upstairs would be weak. Can't figure out why though that my wife can connect to the 'net using her laptop anywhere in the house and she always gets a strong signal. Guess I don't understand all of this new wireless technology as well as I thought I did!

So, if anyone uses MS' wireless adapter or has a similiar set up like mine (router upstairs, 360 downstairs) please pass along your advice, experience and stories - whether they're good or bad!

Thanks!

2. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    You don't have to get the 360 USB adapter. I'm currently using the Xbox 1 puck.

1. it matches my Elite better
    2. i was able to get this new, off of eBay for $40
    3. it connects to the networking cable jack, so the adapter can be used for the Xbox 1, 360, and other device(s)
    4. it has an external power source ... this way, the adapter isn't drawing power away from the console

If you wanted to go USB, you have to go 360 brand. Otherwise, anything that's RJ-45 will work. I think even Linksys has something called a "game bridge".

as far as dependability and speed? Absolutely no issues. It's Wireless-G enabled, so it's pretty darn quick. If I ever lag, it's never because of a console hardware issue.

3. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The 360 branded adapter sounds easy to configure on the 360 itself. How easy is the old adapter to configure? My knowledge of all this is very basic.

Side note, I do like the idea of it blending in better w/ my Elite as well!

4. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    super easy actually.

your current home network ... is it MAC address filtered? (this is a feature you'd have to knowingly turn on. Any wireless device that isn't entered into the router's admin control menu will not connect)

5. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure. The specs on the router says it has wireless MAC filtering. I'm using a Linksys WRT54GC http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416825655&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=2565539789B02 router. The whole house is wired w/ dual telephone/ethernet ports. Using a Windows XP based PC w/ a high speed internet connection via Comporium.

6. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    if MAC Filtering is enabled:
    1. you'll need to input your Xbox360's MAC address into the router's configuration menu. (if you're currently wired, and you can get on XBL ... it should already be there)

2. you'll need to input your Xbox 1 wireless adapter's MAC address into the router's configuration menu. The MAC address should be located on the underside of the puck via silver sticker.

Again though, MAC filtering is completely optional per router. It's a security feature you'd have to knowingly turn on. By turning it on, you'd have to manually enter every single device's MAC address hooking into it.

If MAC filtering is disabled, skip 1 and 2.

The Xbox360 will detect the RJ-45 wireless router. From there, you need to do a standard configuration on the Xbox 360. (network name, password, SSID, etc)

This is nothing out of the ordinary. It's not too bad at all, just as long as you know your router's information.

7. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I'm pretty sure the MAC filtering isn't turned on as I never had to take those steps when setting everything up intially. I've got the router info handy so it sounds like it wouldn't be much trouble at all. Now to go and hunt down the old Xbox adapter now...

8. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    not a problem!

and PM sent on cheap spot. :D 

9. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I have the 360 Adapter and never had a signal issue with it being slow. Then again its also only 10/12 steps from my router to 360 and have nothing blocking the signal. If you have your 360 enclosed you might have a problem with either adapter due to heating the adapter up slowing and killing your net connection.

If Matching with color matters it should not since even if its a Elite, all you see at the most is the Grey Antenna.