360 system link ???

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NotFastEnuff, Dec 26, 2009.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Does each system have to have a copy of the game?

2. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    Rant time!!! WTF!!! Just got off the phone with xbox customer support. I have to have a copy of the game in each console on a system link. So, if I have the consoles in my house, all hooked to each other, and my sons and I want to play locally, not over XBL, I have to have 3 of the damned game? That is the biggest crock of BS I've heard. Nowhere, and I mean nowhere in any of the literature, online or off, does it say that I have to have multiple copies of the game. I'm so pissed right now. We've gotten an extra 360 and 2 wireless adapters for the sole purpose of playing with my kids, and now I find out I have to spend more effing money just play this damned thing.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Oh, and eff you Microsoft. I guess I'll be buying all my games on ps3 from now on since I can't play locally anyway.

3. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    As far as I know, the only consoles that can share games like how you were thinking are the DS and PSP.

4. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    I just don't understand the point of system link if I have to have multiple copies of the game. If I were gonna do that, just play over live. It just seems completely pointless. To add to what you mentioned, if a handheld like the GB can do it, why can't a fancy ass 360 do it?

5. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Think about it.
    DS games are small compaired to the DVD size of a Xbox.
    To transfer that over a network would take time and thus pointless to made happen.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And that's assuming the 'destination' xbox has a hard drive to store the transfer copy on, so such a feature wouldn't work on an Arcade model even if it did exist.

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    It's amazing that no where on line or in literature is there insinuation that only one copy of the game is required for system link play. Oh, wait, no. It's not amazing, it's the other thing - completely understandable due to all of the facts listed by Boardwise above. Why would you assume that it only took one copy of the game? Also, why is it an issue to purchase additional copies of games if you have the scratch to purchase multiple 360s? What if each individual in the household wanted to play one game at the same time - problem, solution - multiple copies.

If applying the handheld argument, I know of many games on the DS that do not allow one copy play but require each player to own a physical copy of the game for any multi-player connectivity.

If you are buying all of your games on PS3 and each individual wants to play, have fun buying multiple copies of each game for that system too. Your "solution" to your supposed problem makes no sense.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  8. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    Okay, since this is turning into an arguement, and an insult upon my intelligence, let me recant. By your logic, if I put the game on the hdd of the 2nd system, I should be able to play with one disc. As far as the lit. not specifying, in a day and age where people sue Winnebago and win because they set the cruise control and leave the drivers seat and win, I'd expect something as simple as "one copy per console" to included. Especially if you consider that when I called xbox support, they had to ask a supervisor to make sure, because their understanding from their lit. and training that you only needed one copy. So, I'm sorry I had to rant, but I needed to. As for my comment about the ps3, I'm just saying that on multiplatform games, MS has lost my business. Oh, and the comment on "scratch for extra systems", I don't think an arcade for $100 from WM and my old 20 gig hdd from when I updated to a 120gig is too much. Hell some of you guys spend that on games in a week.

Rant over. I'm done. Sorry to have bothered you fine folks.

EDIT:from MS site
    System link play
    With system link play, you can connect two or more Xbox 360 consoles together to play a multiplayer match. Xbox 360 can support up to 16 consoles for system link play.

Before you set up a system link match, you have to confirm some items:

* The game that you want to play has to support system link play. Look at the back of the game box to verify that the system link icon appears on the box. The game box or the game manual will tell you how many players can play a system link match for the game that you want to play.

Note Many games support split-screen multiplayer gameplay. In split-screen multiplayer gameplay, multiple controllers connect to one Xbox 360 console and to one TV.
    * You have one TV for each Xbox 360 console.
    * You have the standard Ethernet (RJ45) cables and networking devices to connect the consoles together.

Connect two Xbox 360 consoles together for a system link match

1. Turn off the power to both Xbox 360 consoles.
    2. Connect an Ethernet (RJ45) cable to the Ethernet port on the back of each Xbox 360 console.
    3. Connect each Xbox 360 console to a separate TV.
    4. Follow the game instructions for multiplayer gameplay to start playing.

What on there says or implies I need 2 copies?

9. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    1) I said nothing about ripping a game to the HDD.
    2) Where in that copy / paste from MS does it imply that you only need one copy of a game?

10. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

This isn't to be a dick, but it's pretty well assumed that you need a copy for each system. That's why they don't say it.

Sure, you can install to the HD, but have the disc still needs to be in the tray for it to work.

11. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Now check the instruction manual for the game you wish to system link. As a person who does a lot of LANing I am pretty sure that just about every manual says you need to have multiple copies.
    Now then, the purpose of LANing instead of just playing over live is that some times people get together, 16 people crammed inside a tiny living room, and enjoy the yelling and smack talk better in person than over live. Plus in person you don't have to worry about annoying people. :) 

Chuck