360 Price Drop?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gen. Magnus, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Has there been any word on the possibility of a 360 price drop toward the end of the year? I really want to get one (I need to play Dead Rising) but I don't want to shell out $400 if the price is going to drop in the next few months.

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    No, but Microsoft will likely do a holiday bundle like they have in the past.

The most popular rumor/fact is a Project Gotham Bundle with the game and a few months of XBL

3. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

That was already confirmed, but its only for Canada.......

4. DeeLux

DeeLux I love Energon sandwiches

This is from gamesindustry.biz

UK retail has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that Microsoft has officially dropped the RRP of the Xbox 360 Core pack to GBP 199, effective from today.

The readjustment from the previous RRP of GBP 209 is the first formal hardware price cut since the system launched across Europe last December.

Many UK vendors had already started selling the lower-spec version of the next-gen system, which lacks a hard drive, for the reduced price - taking a hit on their own margins. The premium system still has an RRP of GBP 279.

This is at least a good sign, hopefully they bring a drop state side

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't count on it. Unless the Wii dominates this holiday, the PS3 will be both unavailable and $200 more than the 360 (assuming you compare core to core and premium to premium systems).

6. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Good point. I guess I'll have to see what I can do to get my hands on one once I can actually afford it than.

Thanks for all of the input everyone!

7. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I'm thinking once the other two systems come out MS will lower the price.

8. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

With the Wii being rumored to be sold for less than $200, Microsoft basically has no choice but to lower their price. Besides, wait a bit and Dead Rising will be cheaper, and next year you could always buy Dead Rising 2.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I personally see a drop, it will be one year old at the point the Wii and PS3 come out, the Wii will be around $200 and the PS3 is the price of a H1, Dropping the price of the 360 at the same time these launch will put them closer to the Wii and make them an even more attractive alternitave to parrents that A) can't find a PS3 at launch, or B) Don't want to pay more than they payed for their first car for one

10. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

It'd be cool if they do a price drop around the holiday time. I would think it'd be a good idea, because then they could compete a bit more with the wii. It'll be a while before I buy a PS3, seeing as though its more expenisve than how much I paid for my car and a month's rent combined.

11. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

It will likely depend on how cheap the Wii is. If it comes out at $250, there is little need to cut the price of even the Basic 360 as the console itself is considerably more powerful.

If it comes out at $200 they may have to consider a price cut, but it probably won't be necessary.

If it's $150, they will almost certainly have to drop $25-50.

12. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It may come down a little, but even if they knock 25% off the price, the $400 version will still be at least $50 more than the WII.

I wouldn't put it past MS... but they may hold off until Halo 3 is done and dusted.
    Also bear in mind, that the WII won't have any online service until next year, which may be a factor in when MS make a price cut.

Like it was said in a previous post, a 'factory produced bundle' option may be introduced, IE the same basic retail cost, but with a game included.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Show me the announcement that says that. The news was that there will be no online support for third-party games. That doesn't apply to first- and second-party games. Moreover, even if none of the first-party or second-party games have online multiplayer, that still wouldn't mean that the WiiConnect24 service won't be up.

14. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    And there is the fact that Microsoft and Sony have tunnel vision and only see each other. Microsoft Might just cut it justr to stick it to Sony and their car sized price tag, and like I said if they drop the price at the PS3 launch it will apeal to parrents with sticker shock and the fact that you know thay will be impossible to find due to the ebay crowd.

15. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Ugh. Stop with the "it's as expensive as my car" routine already. Sheesh.

Besides, "expensive" is relative. None of them are costly to me.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

$600 for a complete game console is expensive for most people, but if you want to be annoyed by that truth, be my guest.

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    How great for you - maybe you can buy us all one since you're so damn rich?

FYI poor guys - I've seen used 360s at my local game stop for $278, but unfortunately they are the wired controller, no HDD versions. Was it ever said if the base models were upgradeable or not?

18. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    No I call them as I see them. Sony is putting out the 3DO II. The second most expensive launch in Video Game history, and we all know how well the 3DO did at launch

Great I'm happy for you go and buy that overpriced machine.

Exactly my point

The 360 is The PS3 the reports are conflicting, some say yes, some say no, we'll have to wait for them to be on the shelves before we know for sure

19. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    You can buy the Hard Drive seperately, but it still costs $100 new. Even a used model will run you $80. The $400 model also has the XBL headset, ethernet cable, and wireless controller. (the headset will run another $20)

Total you are still looking at $360 (used system, used HD), which might leave you enough to get a used game

My recommendation is to wait and see what bunbles MS or retailers chuck together for the holiday season, and see about buying a new one. The 360 is still new enough you won't be saving all that much unless you are REALLY strapped for cash (at which point I would question getting the system at all at this point in time)

20. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

$400 model also has the component cables instead of the standard composites.