360 or Wii?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by IronicHide, Apr 30, 2008.

1. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I am kinda skeeved out on the downloadable content for the FF game. I might avoid that game all together even though it looks good.

I am itching for downloadable Mario Kart tracks though, they should retro fit every track that exists.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really really like what they did for FF Crystals on the DS. If this is anything like that, then I have my Wii when I find one.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    a good chucnk of My Life as a King's DLC is actually already in the game, you're just paying to unlock it.

I hate that.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously? That's kinda lame. Well more than kinda. It exists, but you have to pay to unlock it?

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yup. it was revealed when people playing the japanese version noticed that adding a new race to the game via DLC was a download of only a few blocks (single digits, I think) which just doesnt make any sense considering all the NPCs and character models it added, it was obvious it was already in the game, and the download was just to unlock the content.

6. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Imagine Sim City... but in order to build a fire station you had to pay 3 more real life dollars. Or playing Guitar Hero but you need to pay 5 dollars to unlock the whammie bar use. Or maybe 2.50$ for Blue turtle shells in MK?

I don't mind paying for maps that are you are paying for the added design and engineering, but lots of the things you are paying for appear to be either 'cosmetic' which have no game value or core functionality which is really screwed up. It appears as if you cannot build the largest house in the city without unlocking it or your adventurers cannot reach premium dungeons which means you will have a degraded game play. That bugs me.

I'll pay for expansion packs, but cosmetic goodies and core features bug me.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds like the problem someone else was having earlier today with Need For speed, he paid for new cars but the file size was like 100k. Wow, that is lame. I know in the end, it's the same as downloading it, but not really. I paid for what's in the disc, and I pay more for things that exist outside of it.

8. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Hmmm, how will Downloading downloadable games work?
    (Sorry again for all the noob Qs)

Will there be a verified, Nintendo-governed site to go through? And/or will the games be available from independent software websites?

How much are they expected to cost?

Does the Wii connect to the internet proper or only servers for the purpose of downloading stuff and connecting with other players?

And, I guess on topic, does all the above go for the 360, too?

Sorry, again, I really don't know too much about this kinda thing. Except that I am awesome at Wii Bowling when drunk.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Downloading games is done through the Wii Shop Channel, accessible from the main channel menu. they cost whatever the creators want to charge. The Wii can connect to the actual internet, if you download the browser from the wii shop channel.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking of which, you can go to www.wiicade.com and play some cool Wii-browser-supported classic-type games, free.

11. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Thanks a bundle, Valk and WC!

Whatever I get, you're more than welcome round to have a play on it. You may even get tea and biscuits.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I get that, but in places you worded it as though this were a shortcoming on Nintendo's part. Nintendo produces as many or more AAA first-party titles as their competition right now. The problem is that they aren't getting as many AAA or AA titles from the third parties just yet, and that's still where most of the top-notch 360 and PS3 titles come from. Knock out the third-parties, and neither Sony nor Microsoft would have anything over Nintendo's library. MS would be missing their Gears of War, Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Bioshock, etc. Sony would be missing Metal Gear Solid IV, and, uh, I'll be generous and say Lair. All the good games that are on both those systems would be gone too. Wii would mostly just be missing Zak & Wiki and No More Heroes, not counting upgraded ports from other consoles. When looking at why the Wii doesn't have a bigger top-notch selection, those third parties are who you need to be pointing at.