360 or Wii?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by IronicHide, Apr 30, 2008.

1. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

At extreme risk of exposing myself as a console noob, which should I get - 360 or a Wii?
    (The last thing I owned with more than two games was a Genesis/Megadrive.)

I like the whole silliness of a Wii, and that my other half may be up for playing along.

I like GTA IV (having spent solid hours with my old flatmate completing San Andreas), but my PC is definitely staying Linux.

What is there beyond Mario Kart and GTA IV?

Hmmm? Yes? No? Maybe, shutup, etc.
    Apologies once again for asking such a ridiculously greenhorn question.

Oh yeah, most importantly, what are the released/prospective Transformers games like?

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

whatever you do, don't buy any of the transformers games. please.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I'm going to say wii. It's cheaper, more conducive to multiplayer, and your SO will like it more.

The 360 doesn't have that many exclusive titles, and with the failure of HD-DVD, I'd say wait to buy a ps3 later.

5. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Either is a pretty good dollar value right now. the 360 has a ton of exclusive titles and multiplatform titles made better by the XBox Live service.
    Wii has its stable or great first party games and if you're looking at having a system for friends and family to come over and play with, its definitely the leader.

I have both, and wouldn't give either up. 360 fuels my need for online competition and I keep in touch with out of state friend with games. the Wii is great for crowding a room around Wii Sports, Smash Bros, Wario Ware, or now Mario Kart.

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Unless your really into Nintendo's titles (Mario, Zelda, etc...) I would say a 360 for sure.

7. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is what I was going to say. Pick up a Wii for you and the gal pal, and if you really get into gaming again, pick up a PS3. You'll get the best of both worlds that way, and won't have the looming possibility of a red ring some day.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:

This.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I own both systems.

The Wii is used about a third of the time the 360 is.
    They are both good systems, but if I could only have one, I would get the 360.

You asked what is coming beyone GTA IV -that is almost too much to list.
    The only GTA type game I can think of is Saint's Row 2, but for software in general for the 360 there is a ton on the way and two tons already available.

10. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I agree about the Wii having a little less variety. . .but the games that Nintendo itself does produce are often better than the vast bulk of games produced on the X360 or PS3, in my opinion.

Wii has Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart. Mario Tennis will probably come out at some point, and it should be great, but you probably aren't going to get the gritty, amazing-looking FPS games that the 360 seems to focus on. This system is focused on creating fun, innovative games, not graphics. Plus, it is backwards compatible with the Gamecube, and you can download some amazing NES games, that are still as fun or more fun than anything being released today (Super Mario 1 and 3, Double Dragon, Punch Out!!, etc.).

The 360 Has Halo 3, Dead Rising (a game I personally love), Smackdown vs. Raw, all those Tom Clancy and Call of Duty shooting games (which are great), Bioshock, GTA 4, Ninja Gaiden 2, some RPGs, Resident Evil 5 coming at some point. . .possibly MGS4 after a year or so. Plus, it is backwards compatible with XBox games like Halos 1 and 2 and Ninja Gaiden 1, and has some great XBox live games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and the TMNT arcade game.

Ultimately, they are both really great. I have both, and I honestly don't know which I would choose if I didn't (I got them both as gifts :)  ). It depends on what kind of games you like the best.

11. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I vote 360.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the media talking, bro. And that's also 10-15 years ago. For every Smash brother and Mario Kart you have, you now have 2-3 times as many equal hits on the other two systems, and yes, they are just as good if not better. Nintendo used to pride itself on Quality over Quantity, but that's a swan's song now that doesn't apply anymore.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

If you are looking for something that is fun and unique go with the Wii! I love my Wii and play it more then my PS3 which Ipretty much just use as a blu-ray player.

15. Bendimus Prime

News Credits:
    Not really, Nintendo's major title's still sell well above its competitors. Really, GTA and Halo are the exceptions, not the rule. Look at the Sales for the month of March courtesy of IGN:
    and they killed in hardware sales:

Nintendo's really good games are usually far and few between (2007 was an exception, and a throwback to the old SNES days by having so many good titles out) , but they always make a killing in the marketplace.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But that's just it. I wasn't referring to sales. I was referring to the old notion that Ninendo releases 4 games a year, but that those games are Better than ANYTHING on the competition, and that while Nintendo's quantity does not compare to the competition, their quality destroys anything else out there, and that is just not the case anymore.

Also, one can attribute a lot of those sales, to the old notion of "lack of better options".... Some people that own a PS3 will get COD, while others will get Rachet, and still others might only GTA. Twin Twist might get Halo, but not touch Gears of War, but all of those Wii Adopters have a choice.... get Smash Bro's or have a shiny white door stop.

17. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

Hey "bro," as I said, I've got both systems, and this is my opinion based on my experience. I don't pay much attention to "video game media," so I honestly wouldn't know what that is about, anyway. Obviously, what is "good" is one person's opinion, and ignoring sales (which Bendimus discusses), the good to crap ratio on the 360 is a lot higher than that of the Wii. . .in my experience and based upon my humble estimation :) 

(and I was originally talking about Nintendo produced games, not just games produced on the Wii, but I think the larger issue has merit)

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah and I wasn't being sarcastic with you, I was just explaining that that old notion just doesn't apply anymore...

And 300 games with 40 being great, and 260 being crap, is still better than 10 games with 4 of them being great, and 6 of them being crap.

People can divide into those 40, based on what they enjoy, this contributing to less overall sales for the individual game, but a lot more based on the overall sales.

But like i said, sales are irrelevant to what I am saying. I am just saying that Mario Galaxy, is no better or worst than Uncharted, Smash Bro.s is no better or worst than Mass Effect or Bioshock. They have the same level of polish and the same level of care put into them, and Nintendo is no longer the only kid in town taking 10 years to create a game, because it will be the greatest game ever and it is worth your spending half a year with nothing to play.

Instead, Mass Effect two will take 2 years to finish, but in the mean time, enjoy Gears of War 2, or if your Twin Twist, enjoy Resistance 2. You are not limited to crappy games while you wait for the good ones.

19. Bendimus Prime

News Credits:
    I would agree if Smash Bros. was the only good game to come out at the beginning of this year/end of last. But when you factor in Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and Square's first outing with Dragon Quest Swords, the selection isn't so limited on good games. Nintendo has released they're games in better succession on the Wii then they did with the Gamecube and N64.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do agree with that. The GC sat there for so long being unplayed. But the Wii has been around as long as the PS3, and the games you listed are very few when compared to what's out on the PS3, and that's because the PS3 gets slagged for not having any games.

Again, not talking sales. Simply going by average reviews. They can't justify their lack of games on "We're taking long because we make sure our games are perfect."