360 HD-DVD Play $179 -5 free movies

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Smasher, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Well, its only a $20 price cut, but the 5 free movies are very enticing.
    I might take the plunge.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i wonder if it'll be like the in-store ads where the HD DVD has to be under $25 (which there aint a lot)

i might get one to hook up to my PC...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    A tempting offer, but it makes me wonder if it is out of desperation. I think Bluray is "winning" at this point. Neither one is really breaking any ground though.

4. OmegaScourge

though Blu-Ray is selling more...the Blu-Ray players are also has the 5 free discs...and it's did/advertised it more times

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  5. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

HD-DVD players were the first to announce the free 5 discs with purchase. Blu Ray sent out their ads later in response. I know with Blu Ray you had to pick like 1 movie from a group of movies from the same production company.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

that's actually a great idea. I have my PS3 as a blueray player so I'm good.

Though here is a tip for you guys looking for BluyRay or HD-DVD movies cheaper than the ridiculous prices Best Buy and others have.

I don't know if you guys have CD Exchance stores where you live (in Texas we have a few).

They sell NEW Blue Ray and HD-DVDs there for no more than 20 bucks. I bought a new Silent Hill 13.99, Terminator 2 15.99 and Fifth Element 12.99. I double-checked that they were new. The other stores are overpricing them because they can. I understand that some Blue and HDs have all the special features that a Double-disc DVD set has so paying 25 bucks is reasonable, but there is no reason why Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow should be 30 bucks.

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Great. Now the Xbox 360 Elite w/ HD-DVD is only $260 more expensive than the similarly equipped PS3, instead of the previous $280 price difference. That'll help.

KD is not bitter at all that Microsoft didn't drop their price at E3 to keep up with Sony. Nope.

8. OmegaScourge

we got a place called CD/Game Exchange...but they dont sell new things...but the used items are in really good shape and at a really good price (half what gamestop sells it)..and they buy it at better prices too.

but i havent seen any HD DVD or Blu-Ray movies yet.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And the thing is that I actually have been keeping my BlueRay library up to speed and I use the hell out of the PS3 as a DVD/BlueRay/Downloaded Episodes of Lost/SouthPark, etc. (yes, yes, partially because there aren't as many games right now). So the notion that people don't care whether or not the system has movie capabilities isn't entirely true.

I can't speak for everyone, of course, but if it's not there, I wouldn't have miss it, but for 100bucks more, to be able to watch movies like The Last Samurai, looking the way it does in HD, I have no problems with that.

So yeah, I agree.

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    When I get a PS3, it will be used just as much for its Blu-Ray as it is for its gaming. If my 360 had included an HD-DVD player, I would be using it for that as well. But I don't buy "add-on" hardware for my system (except for controllers) so I won't be owning an HD-DVD player.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Likewise. If it had come with the 360, I would now own Batman, Serenity, and a few others that I really want, but are only available on HD-DVD

12. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The only thing available solely on HD-DVD that I would really want would be the upcoming "Heroes" HD-DVD.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm just glad that Transformers is going to Blue-Ray. I would hate to not have that option later this year because Paramount chose to only support one format.

Damn, I didn't know Heroes was only coming to HD-DVD. Lame!

14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Universal is the only company left that is not supporting Blu-Ray in any way. So all Universal properties (like Heroes) will only be released on DVD and HD-DVD.

15. OmegaScourge

Here's the Toshibda Perfect Offer 15 movies you get to choose from (dont know if it'll be the same for the add-on but i think it will):
    geez...i would rather have the Blu-Ray deal...5 free movies (though not much choices, pick ANY under $25)...from all that 15, there aint nothing i want.