35th Anniversary Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm for the Soundwave 13+ having some retooling.

Give him the complete red arm bracelets Soundblaster has, revise the chest door, turn all silver to white.
    Increase headsize by 10%, remold knees & make feet integrate better. (the legs have the design flaw of that cracking hinge, so clean that up)
    Remove the detailing on his back. I don't see why it would be hard to throw in a small ab crunch also.

Soundwave needs about as much work as they put in on Starscream to turn into Thrust, he's still a brilliant mold so I don't feel a V2 is all that necessary but he could really blossom via some minor tweaks.
    Soundwave is surely the second best selling MP of all time? Extend the life of the milk...
    I'd sell my minty first edition and take the bait.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Besides his platform feet, I'd say his blocky thighs are probably his weak spot, aesthetically. If they rounded/tapered them in a little to the knee-joint (as per MP10's) it would help perfect a 'toon likeness, along with all the paint tweaks.

He's a solid 8.5/10, but like you I feel a 9.5 with minor mods is do-able.

MP-Ravage and Frumble being disappointing next to Laserbeak is remedied by Ocular Max Jaguar and Rewind, so I'm cool with that these days.:D 

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Sam

Sam 255

News Credits:
    I was thinking recently how it's so odd they didn't make the transparent plastic around Soundwave's wrist with a red tint - I had no idea they actually rectified that with 13B, nice!

I think Soundwave would benefit from a bigger head alright, but I'm not sure if they'd go that far for a remould (since it would involve making a bigger space in his backpack too). I can see them making a completely smooth cassette door (without the toy groove), for sure. He needs a big-ass Decepticon toon symbol that takes up most of the glass!

It'd be cool with feet with flares on the side of them, but I think they'll just get away with it by adding blue details to the outsides of the feet to create that illusion (the one thing missing from @TigerBlade's custom 13+!), as they did with 12+.

Knees that can buckle slightly would be great, but I kinda like how Soundwave is a little blocky and less dynamic than Megatron and Shockwave - it suits his more robotic character.

Going back to Prime, a reminder of that custom that @RichP shared -

[​IMG]

@Gamerlingual - did the head look as good as that?

One thing I've never been mad on is MP-10's head profile, it looks a little odd from the side. I'm sure this new one will do it better.
    I'm nit-picking though, MP-10's head is still cool in its own right as an interpretation of Prime. :thumb 

• Like Like x 7
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    The truckers cap was always the design element I DISLIKED about the cartoon version of Optimus. It always seemed a bit too...on point.

5. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread gives me a migraine, and is the perfect example of what is wrong with part of the Transformers community.

Just because something has been around for a while, does NOT automatically make it "obsolete" or "******ed". MP-10 Prime is an older design, and sure, it is not perfect. Nothing ever is perfect. But it is a very well designed MP. It's so good, it got multiple repaints that sold very well, that also got multiple reissues that also sold very well. And there are many who still (myself included) love the mold and have no intentions of getting rid of it. The same is true for MP Soundwave. Great MP!!! Toon accurate? Not so much, but that doesn't mean it is a bad release or a "tard" in any way. That said, I have no doubt that we will see an MP Soundwve "+" release in the near future, just as they've done to other past releases, and everyone who ever wanted a baby blue chest window will rejoice and complain about something else.

The main point I'm trying to make is that people are taking things way too seriously here. A common thing in many toy lines, sadly. We're in a golden age of Transformers right now. We're getting great products from both official and 3rd Party companies. We're getting CHOICES! Some of what is available and will be available will definitely not appeal to everyone, but that's just fine. It doesn't have to. But there is plenty of options that will appeal to many, and that should be embraced, not rejected. Not everyone likes V.3 MP Prime. That should be respected as much as those who do like V.3 Prime. As much as I would rather see a release of MP Hound, Mirage, Trailbreaker, or other minibus, I am happy that we are still getting more MP's in general (BW Megatron, Dinobot, V.3 Prime). The line lives on. Look at the positive and quit bitching over every little thing, whipping out color swatches, and so forth. Not everything can or will be 100% perfect to everyone. To demand that is simply a recipe for discontent and self-destruction.

I'm basically cautiously optimistic. Another MP Prime, to me is a waste of an MP release. That said, TT thinks otherwise, and another Prime is inevitable. So it may as well be now. Will it be better than MP-10? Too soon to tell. And honestly, I don't even care if it is or isn't. I won't compare them! MP-10 is an excellent MP with it's own merits, and nothing more or less. Same goes for V.3 Prime. For me, it's an MP Prime focused on being cartoon accurate, whereas MP-10 is not. Apples and oranges. I can appreciate both for what they are without running down either. At the same time, I refuse to over-hype the new Prime because it is putting the cart in front of the horse, and a good way to set up for a disappointment. When the final product is released, and I have one in hand, then I can appreciate it with out prior expectations and not set myself up for any let-downs (if any).

So just enjoy the ride, man. Enjoy the older MP's. Most are pretty damn awesome (except for Tracks, but I still dig it). All good things will eventually come to an end. One day, Transformers in general will be a rarity. I hope that never happens, but it could. Right now, we have good things coming our way as collectors and fans of the line. And if I have ever said anything in the past that is contrary to my own advice here, I am sorry, and promise to do better and lead by example. /soapbox.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Sam

Sam 255

News Credits:
    Fair play, MP-10's lack of ridge is more reminiscent of the G1 toy

[​IMG]

Or the crown that Ginrai had

[​IMG]

Definitely a cool amalgamation of references.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sky Warp 55

Sky Warp 55 Stop Motion Animator

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I hope Prime comes with the Starscream in disguise head 2132BC17-BEAD-4198-B1A8-43BC2C8D497D.png 92CD13F8-292B-4244-B0AE-CDA2B0C85E7F.png A01F2BDF-CE1B-4778-A8DB-B44C72A7A57F.png

• Like Like x 6
  8. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
  9. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What the fuck is even going on in here?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sky Warp 55

Sky Warp 55 Stop Motion Animator

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    9B104EF8-8FB0-4C14-B8E9-C4092075E232.png 0C90B815-63B0-4DDA-AE07-E27601AF54E1.png 8377EC73-3283-4FA2-B38E-C8F3728A5470.png EBB69FB8-093D-4E57-B650-1703C4C28683.png 92D9FC19-023C-44EC-8C9C-7E7FCE03663D.png C422CC24-4518-47D4-A817-C67921DEBC88.png

• Like Like x 14
  11. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
  12. franpincho

franpincho Snowflake magnet

The usual.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:

Yeah I was tempted to buy a doner Soundblaster at one stage for those transparent parts and Ratbat to then sell on.
    I love Soundblaster's character model but really hated the black plastic used and lack of white paint so I never got round to him.
    A + version of him would be an instant preorder for me also.

Oh yeh! I forgot how he transforms.. been a long time since I've handled him. That would be problematic to rectify indeed.
    For real.. the toon Decepticon logo... its so inevitable isn't it!? especially since Shockwave and Megatron both have them.

Infact thats a pretty good solution Sam.. If parts of those big ass silver feet where painted blue the illusion wouldn't be too bad come to think about it. I could totally live with that. Them toy homage knees gotta go though! haha.

I always loved MP10's head apart from his eyes but wow that custom is beautiful! Just needs the 4 circles on the rear and its TFTM.
    I really want V3 to have a similar head as one of the options.

@Such Heroic Nonsense for real.. I'd give him 8.5 also.. thats a really fair score.. Totally agree he could get into the upper 9's with some tweaks.
    Easily one of the best Transformers characters of all time.

• Like Like x 2
  14. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's McDonald's. It isn't. My point is it's like they're advertising it and telling customers they can't do anything with it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    And yet you had an opinion about the Magic Square Prime. :confused: :sly: :tumbleweed: 

• Like Like x 1
  16. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fair enough, I hadn't thought of it that way, I guess.

17. RichP

RichP Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Absolutely , but only cause the poster asked ( generally ) . I had mistakenly read Incepticons post as yet being another hate post therefore I added my 2 cents as well. After rereading his comment about my post , did I realize he was being sarcastic. Is what is . I apologized.

19. Timesynch

Timesynch I still function! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

That's why I subscribe to the adage, "Buy what you damn well like. It's your money." No need to justify your purchases to anyone (unless the cops are involved :D ).

• Like Like x 7
  20. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits: