Takara Tomy Masterpiece MP-44 Convoy/Optimus Prime Ver. 3

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Retroheavy, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Why try to make an animation accurate Optimus Prime and then aside from the windows, the truck mode is all wrong if animation is what they were shooting for?

So it's basically an Animation accurate Optimus Prime that transforms into a completely Animation inaccurate truck cab.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Why am I still seeing people post this?

Amazon and Walmart have both shown a willingness to do Hasbro Transformers exclusives multiple times over the years.

Hell, Walmart did an exclusive MP-01 Optimus Prime for the 20th anniversary of the 1986 movie back in 2006.

I could see Amazon offering a Hasbro version w/trailer OR Walmart offering one without it.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Ummm....how different could yet another G1 Prime transformation be? (Other than the petty extra steps to make it more accurate) I think you failed to see my point. The animation cells were quick sketches drawn by the thousands one sketch for every second. So they had to be simplified or the artists would take forever. With that being said, I dont aknowledge the hidden leg wheels as important. Why hide them? Would they get damaged in battle any more than the truck windshield on his chest? How about the smoke stacks? If you go by the "concealment for battle" rationale, then shouldnt the smoke stacks be hidden too? Surely they will bend and snap right off if he falls on his side. These petty changes you call "accurate" were done to accommodate the quick draw art process, not to be taken seriously and demand that a toy should have them. Next people will demand a new seeker mold without the tailfin kibble because the artists were too lazy to draw tailfins on their heels 50,000 times. Im all for accuracy when its logical. But when its petty and based on "literal" source material, it defies all logic. I feel the same way about these "anime accurate" Autobot car repaints with allspark blue windows. It was freaking 80s animation. There was no way to color clear glass pannels in a cartoon back the 80s. It wasnt CGI. Takara is trying to be too literal with this line lately. A three minute sketch is no masterpiece, so why reference it on a masterpiece figure? I would rather have seen the money and time spent designing this figure used to bring us a new character. Blaster anyone? Reflector? MP Insecticons maybe? Theres so many characters that dont even need a car company's license to make and we get another damn Prime with the pettiest of differences.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

I think I can see tweaks were done, but I\'m not getting the differences.  Perhaps with a side by side.

5. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

This is more or less perfect for where the line is going. Proportions look great for a more cartoon-accurate / less idealized design. There are definitely some tradeoffs, which I gather at this point have already been mentioned: the panel gaps from a more complicated design, the tiny ankles joints, less use of vehicle parts in robot mode, and what looks from this angle to be a more serious backpack. I certainly see the critiques of MP-10 (longer arms, smaller gun, wheel kibble, more idealized/less cartoon accurate proportions/design). I think there are benefits and cons to both at this point. I think it’s too early to say how much of an advancement this is over MP-10 in terms of look and fun, and I’m sure preference will likely account for most of it. I’m of the Hasui camp of using a mix of inspirations but based on the current mentality/approach this design looks great.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kevin Iaquinto

Kevin Iaquinto 8 Strings Enthusiast

News Credits:
    I'm gonna need to see a lot more for me to get rid of my MP-10

• Like Like x 3
  7. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    What your getting is “ 3rd party enthusiasts back lash “ . Most of the negativity is coming from people who still belong to the Hasuie era from 7 + years ago. They want there MP’s styled in a way that was closer and would blend in with an MP-10 type figure . Yet , that ship sailed . The rest of us moved on to hyper articulation and toon centric styled figures . So what your ultimately seeing is the fandom split down the center . They turn to 3rd party to fill there void , and we have Takara. It’s as black and white as that .

• Like Like x 8
  8. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

While I agree with you basic premise that simplified designs weren’t done with any practical importance to the character, at the end of the day this toy is for fans who want the simplified designs of the cartoon. It doesn’t make it better than MP10 it just makes it toon accurate. For those who don’t find that appealing we still have MP10.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't get why people can't just let others have an opinion. Seriously, either you like it or don't, but don't tear each other apart simply because you don't agree with each other. That's ridiculous.

And no, it's nothing new, but it's something that needs to stop at this point. It's time for us to grow up and snap out of it.

• Like Like x 7
  10. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Your logic defies profit.

• Like Like x 2
  11. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    Perfect response and explaination

• Like Like x 2
  12. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From some speculation I've read, it seems that the chest windows might be faux as well... I'm seriously hoping this is not the case...

• Like Like x 1
  13. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Technically its not split down the middle it's more a loud minority at this point. Tempered by the fact they choose not to understand in essence they are the minority. As much as I like Hasui's stuff, I roll my eyes every time someone mentions the vision of a man who neither started the line and has been gone the last 4 years. At this point it is what it is, but some people feel if they yell loud enough they can convince themselves, that what everybody really wants is what they want.

• Like Like x 3
  14. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Only the middle section.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Only the middle section.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because Masterpiece means the definitive version of something. It is the animated version of Prime that many have grown up with and grown to love, and is, therefore, the definitive version of Prime. A figure is meant to be the 3D representation of a 2D character. So how good a figure is, in my opinion, should be measured by how closely it emulates that 2D character.

I love the direction of the Masterpiece line and will continue to support it as long as it keeps giving me toon-accurate sculpts.

• Like Like x 10
  17. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well, you're not wrong

Well, you're not wrong too.

• Like Like x 4
  18. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    With mp10? If so it's all over. Shorter arms, longer legs, hidden leg wheels, square chest windows, lower smokestacks on shoulders, larger waist. That's ignoring that it looks to have near identical articulation to mp36 going by the look of the joints.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Rated X

Rated X Banned

That is true. But for evey fan that will be brought in, two more will tap out and be done with the MP line due to lack of consistency. Its gone from being a fan favorite character line, to a unified scale bot mode line, to a medley of randomness including Beast Wars, Diaclone, and dumbed down "anime accurate" repaints.

• Like Like x 1
  20. fishpop

fishpop Squishy Bear

Ebay:
    MP OP 3.0/MP-44/45/whatever has really stubby arms. :p 
    EDIT: Thanks Takara but I'll stick with your MP-10 that i have since that figure cost me enough already and MPs have become ridiculously expensive.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.