$30 bucks for UPS Ground????

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Omegax80, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    I bought a bunch of items from one seller, and he is claiming that it will cost $30 for a under 10lb package to ship UPS Ground. Is that right or am I mis-calculating?

2. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you have his address check it at UPS.com, plus, he's probably getting them to box it for him, which costs money(I think), otherwise he's charging you for him using his boxes and packaging, and the gas it takes to get to the UPS and back to his house, plus the effort to get it all done, and eBay says that's ok. The same thing happened to me but mine would've cost no more than $10 from USPS guy charged $30

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    This is why I always get a shipping quote from eBay sellers before I "commit to buy" anything.

UnicronHound is probably spot on with his reasoning though....he may be having UPS box the items up for him....

I had this happen to me once, I bought two action figures at $5 each, and the seller wanted $20 for shipping, citing that UPS was boxing and shipping the items....

Since that little fiasco, I always get a shipping quote first.....

Hope you get it all straightened out.

4. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    From Dallas to where you are, I get a price of about $15 for a ten pound package. The others are right, if he's having it packaged at the UPS store it'll cost more, but I think if you don't let them pack it you waive your right to make a claim if the contents are damaged in shipping.

Still, I think your seller is inflating the bill a bit.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    $15 for UPS ground
    $5 for box
    $5 tape/bubble wrap/labels
    $5 gas

sounds about right, but like PK said, you should check with the buyer first. I've had E. Unicron shipped for $5 and I've had him shipped for $20...

6. ExVeeBrawn

News Credits:
    ...and there we have an example of "padding the bill"... No offense, frenzy_rumble.

If it's going UPS, you don't even strictly need your own label - they slap one on themselves regardless. A roll of decent packing tape is about a dollar and fifty cents and will safely seal dozens of packages. As for bubblewrap or other filler material, if I've identified omega's seller as I think I have, someone moving this volume of stuff will be in possession of adequate materials that there's no justifiable reason for passing the whole cost on to each individual customer.

"Gas" is also an iffy charge. If you're in such a position that you can't fit a trip to your mailer of choice in your normal routine, you maybe wanna think about going with another courier.

I doubt he's planning for having UPS box this stuff. I'm bidding on one of the things he's selling and it's a very reasonable shipping price - but then I'm not after multiples. I'd sooner bet that he's trying to squeeze some extra bucks by just compounding all the separate shipping costs.

I agree, check with a seller for combined rates if they're not declared in the listing. :) 

7. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    $5 for gas? That's like a 40-50 mile drive with the car I have.

8. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    if you believe you're being vastly overcharged on shipping..ebay has a way to complain about that..look through some customer service stuff. Ebay doesn't like price gauging on shipping...

9. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Not everyone has your car, now, do they?

EDIT: Just to clarify the point I was getting at, we have an old pickup truck at work that gets around 5 mpg. Not all cars have good fuel economy.

10. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Still, I hope you don't drive to the post office and come back directly without going anywhere else on the way? If you do, well... maybe try to be more organized and efficient?

And about charging for boxes and packing material... don't you guys recycle? I never ever bought a new box. I always use the ones I receive from BBTS or from people I buy from or trade with. Packing material is recycled too. Save the trees!! :) 

11. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    this is why i rarely buy on ebay and get stuff off the junkion exchange....better chance at not getting shanked on shipping...or i order off BBTS or TFSOURCE

12. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It would probably be cheaper for the guy to ship it Parcel post (though that service sucks) or Priority or Flat Rate. UPS sucks a$$ for shipping, every experience with UPS and Fed-Ex i had were no better then Parel Post and in most cases took longer then parcel post and the boxes showed up banged to hell and a few times with holes in them.

I would ask the guy if he would ship with Flat Rate in all your stuff can fit into the large flat rate box, it ouldnt be more then 10$ to $15 depending on the size box he used.

13. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    well, here is how it ended up. The guy had great feedback on ebay, so I didn't think he was a scam artist. I questioned him about the shipping and he said it included packing and buying materials which I thought was odd, I personally have never heard of anyone charging for buying supplies. One would think that if they are selling a lot on ebay they already had it, but I did check under ebays policies for excessive shipping, and I was right, you can't charge for labor or time it takes to drop it off or ship something out. He was insistent it would cost $30 anyway to ship Ground, but as someone else here suggested, got hiss zip code off ebay and saw that at most, a ten-pound package would cost $11. My guess is that he wanted more that what the auctions went for and thought to raise shipping. We ended up on a compromise of $20 for shipping. But I never saw anyone fight so much like that. Again, he had nearly 100% feedback, so I am surprised that he gave me such a problem.

14. ExVeeBrawn

News Credits:
    Just remember that he can't give you retaliatory feedback. Be honest about what happened to maybe spare someone else some trouble.

15. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Its not buyer's fault that the seller has a crappy car......

16. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    completely amazing how someone can miss the trees in the forest....

:poke 

17. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I never charge for packaging, etc... I keep some of the boxes from other TF's I have gotten over the net and just reuse them. I pass two post offices on my way to work so that is never and issue. Charging for gas Oh come on gas has dropped and that is just uncalled for.