3 RROD - XBOX 360 Repair kit recommendations wanted.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by RedAlert Rescue, Jul 1, 2010.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Hi,

I was recommended this kit to repair a broken XBOX 360 - I was wondering how reliable is the repait done this way and how long would it last ?

I will eventually like to buy one of the new models I just want one to extend the like of my RedRingOfDeathed machine for a little while longer.

XBOX 360 RROD REPAIR KIT X CLAMP XCLAMP FIX E 74 ERROR on eBay (end time 20-Jul-10 17:53:03 BST)

Any other recommendations or suggestions.

Note the seller says they provide specificaly shaped screws, Nylon washers, and spring washer.

And it comes recommend by two people with 2 successful repairs.

Is their any differences between the model types in how successful the repair might be ?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

2. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Are you out of warranty?

While I doubt it would happen in this case, MS bans self repaired systems from Xbox Live. Something as little as a fan switch has resulted in console bans.

That kit looks like it just adds tension to the clamp that is holding the chip in place. I have no knowledge of how well it works either way.

3. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Either send it in for warranty work or get a new one. That "repair kit" isn't going to fix your underlying problem.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Unless you have a "Console Key" and electronics knowledge you will destroy the console.

5. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Actually, the "kit" shown has the capability of fixing an Xbox 360 exhibiting the "RRoD" error. (I've successfully fixed four consoles myself with the same technique.) You also don't need any technical expertise, just the ability to follow directions well. (I do not have any first hand knowledge of how long these fixes last, however. One of my consoles is still running perfectly six months following a self-repair.)

That said, if you're in warranty and Microsoft can fix it, then obviously go that route. If not, you may as well try this as it can certainly fix your problem. You may be able to find the specific washers and screws at your local hardware store cheaper than provided in the kit. You would then need to find some thermal paste (like Arctic Silver, which is better than that included in the linked kit) for the procedure. Some kits sold include an "unlock" tool for the Xbox 360 which allows for easy opening of the console. This is nice, but not necessary as a slim screw driver can perform the same function.

6. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where have you seen people being banned for switching fans?

I understand the modded disc drives being detectable because of the firmware changes made to them. And I believe the same would be true of swapping hard drives. However, I don't know that there's really anything that could be detected in the fans, or really any other parts that don't really have any sort of firmware right?

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, getting banned for swapping a fan sounds like BS to me -they would have to base it on what current the fan is pulling. If that were true, anybody who has a failing (or otherwise out-of-spec) fan would get banned.

Should mine ever get the RROD, I would have no issues trying this kit - but I would probably sent it back to MS first.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  8. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What you should do is pick up the new 360 model. Its guaranteed never to Red Ring!!!
    They didnt put the red LEDs in it...

9. seven

The xbox.com Accounts Suspension and Console Bans forums. Its based upon the person banned/posting, but they have been console banned and have stated that they only switched out a fan. Generally its because they've swapped for a higher wattage fan.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They're lying. They're trying to con MS into reversing the ban for a modded console.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I did a little digging into this, and it there are reports of this happenning to some users. Accounts of it seem to be dated between 2007 & late 2009, so it's either an "urban legend" sort of thing, a very shady MS thing, or one person perpetuating a story.
    Whichever it is, MS have never confirmed (nor have they denied) it, and rumours/accounts of it seem to be met with general derision on the forums I've seen it on. Sort of like a 360 version of "He Tell Me".

12. seven

I saw it when the mass bannings happened late last year, between the releases of ODST and MW2. Could be they had done other things or those users were swept in with players with actual modded hardware.

A lot of them stated they had thier system locally repaired, my local Play N Trade does RROD repairs that replace fans and reset the chips.

13. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is very interesting.

I really don't see how it would happen, but it's interesting nonetheless

I wonder if it's not so much the fan being replaced, but some sort of reset or something that happens when the fan is swapped

edit:
    From what I've been able to find on the subject, it has to do with the change in voltages being detected by the bios. I guess if it's connected to live and it reports this anomoly, this would be recorded by ms and it would lead to a ban according to the terms of use agreement for using the device.

I suppose so long as it was modded with a fan with the same voltage it would still be safe though. Just the same would be true of any repair kits I think too.

14. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I would look into getting a PS3. After numerous RROD I got tired of it and bought a PS3 and have never looked back. My Xbox360 works (currently anyway) but I only use it to play exclusives like ME2 since I know I can count on my PS3. If that isn't an option for you I would be wary of trying to fix it yourself regardless. Good luck!

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Well a Bare Bones Console costs about £40.00 to £60.00 Mine got cooked by my Wii it was not overheating under normal opperation. but died after it got heated up by my stupidly Hot wii sitting on top of it in standby/active update mode.

How the hell was I supposed to know the wii would get red hot in stand by mode ?

Anyway... mine was a March 2005 model bought new. I have been thinking about buying a new model but I might wait for the price cut on it or a bundle with the new sensor / camera bar which is supposedly due in November/December time when that comes out.

It seems the value of my Console is still quite high even busted as people buy them for parts. so I might sell it for parts or try to fix it.

I'm not sure if the opperating performance is better or worse than the old ones - as when the fiddle with the innards of consoles they don't always get better - sometimes they get worse.

But an HDMI link would be handy - so I might buy an HDMI Arcade model cheap.

As for what's wrong with it - the screen went black a couple of times before it went all 3 red ring for good - so I don't know what that's a sign of.

Hopefull it's just heat expansion problems and not fried chips.

No immediate plans to buy a PS3 - the multi-format games requiring instillation is a pain to me.. and I have a rule about a console having to have a requisite number of exclusives of good quality before it's worth a purchase to me. and There's not enough must buys for me to step in yet... also I would have liked to have bought a cheap white one like they offered in Japan and then upgrade the harddrive rather than pay a premium for a drive that is still to small and would need to be replaced anyway. so I look at it as prefering the Japanese model idea - but there's no model like that in the UK.

So no plans - I may do what I did with the Gamecube and buy it when it's defunct second hand in a few years time to play things like Killzone 2.

I'd like a new model Xbox 360 the HDMI would be handy and the wireless. but I'll leave that for the moment unless they have a 20% off consoles sale in sainsbury's again maybe.

But it's not like I need it just to impress anyone.

16. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    trade in the console or sell it on ebay, buy a new one from gamestop as they are being phased out

or if you can, get the new model, that thing runs pretty cool, my friend has it, i dont see it heating up in his poorly ventilated area at all

17. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Had a newer “safe” xbox and it was about to red ring on me! Got rid of it and will get a ps3. I liked my xbox (but not the pay to get online when it's free on wii and ps3!) but not when it dies on me. It's like a car. Why would you buy the same car over and over again if breaks every time you get a new one. I guess folks have money to waste. Had my wii for years and no trouble. Had my 360 less then a year and it died.

18. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I don't have an X-Box 360 (someday I might), I only have a PS3, and I have to say, unless some of the 360 exclusive games you MUST personally play like Mass Effect, Gears of War, HALO, etc; , I'd say either get a PS3 slim or a new X-Box slim if you love the kind of games that only X-Box offers.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If you had the RROD you could have had it fixed for free by Microsoft.

20. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    If you're looking at the new model and are in the UK, I'd buy the kit (or the same parts more cheaply elsewhere), fix you're broken one, and then take it to a retailer offering a trade-in deal for the Xbox 360 slim. If you have just the base 20 GB model, you can get £50 off the new model. (Of course if you can sell a broken one for a price greater than the trade-in value, that would be the way to go.)

Honestly, the trickiest part to the "fix" is opening the case, which isn't bad if you're good at following directions.