Non-TF: 3 3/4 inch War Machine (fakebuskered)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fakebusker83, May 5, 2010.

1. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Hi guys,

Here's just a little custom before I move to the US for my next job, how exciting! This is my first action figure outside of TFs, and boy was it a good learning experience.

As expected, I did the LED job on the reactor and eyes. It seemed like it is the most necessary mod for all iron man customs. Those suits just look impotent without lit-up effects.

Oh yes, the lights are supposed to be red. The colour balance of the camera was off.

[​IMG]

Also, I removed the dual ball-jointed weapon mounts and worked out a sliding arm for the gatling cannon, similar to the one on the 6 inch version, which I believe is more movie accurate.

[​IMG]

Additionally, I bashed out a nicer looking gatling gun cuz I can't stand the horrible mold of the original. Now it has individual barrels! I used brass tubes and acrylic pieces to build that.

[​IMG]

The paint job is standard drybrush and wash, with gold detailing referencing the Hot Toys version of WM.

[​IMG]

Last but not least, kudos to those who are modding their own War Machines, like Kush, formula93, Solrac333 and Zildjian. You guys kept me going with your excellent renditions, especially Zildjian who proved lit up 3 3/4" figures are indeed possible! The other iron man customs inspired me as well.

Now if only I can find my 6 inch figures...

Flickr is here.

Attached Files:

2. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome!!! Those 3 3/4 buggers are a bitch huh?!?!

3. jetfire4321

jetfire4321 Banned

nice bigdog but his leds are actually red in the movie sorry i didnt read the part where you said they were supposed to be red but the camera didnt catch em

4. fallenkia

fallenkia Well-Known Member

This is really nice!
    Awesome job! How did you open the body to remove the dual ball-joint weapon?

5. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait are you trying to say that the camera's color balance was off and that is what caused your supposed red LEDs to become bluish white LEDs? Lol.

You don't have to BS us on the internet, just own up and change 'em if you want. Looks great with the white as well.

6. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

damn this 3/34 figure is a hooked up lol

7. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Nice Job! I'm in the middle of doing the same thing, and it's tricky alright. I wish they didn't glue the chest sections together - I kept thinking I was going to trash the thing!
    Also, he's a lot easier to add LEDs to then the regular IronMan 3 3/4 figs - much more room in there!!

8. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YES. The only good thing I like is that he takes paint very well, so very little rub issues. Dude, you gotta share how you managed to reattach the body pieces together! And where was your switch?

bigdog?

I drilled a hole at the side and used a flat tipped screw driver to pry him apart. Annoying cuz I have to patch up the hole later and find another way to hold the body halves close again. This time I used magnets!

No Bern, no BS here. Actually it's more white LEDs with clear red coats to give it the pink appearance as opposed to actual red, if that counts as 'owning up'.

Yeah...colour ;)  We were a British colony over here so I'm still a sucker for their spelling.

Here's a new picture of him in the morning light, if it helps. I had to change my colour balance before cuz my lamp is a warm fluorescent.

[​IMG]

What does that mean? :eek: 
    I'll assume it's a positive comment and thanks!

Really? Cuz I was thinking of getting a Mark VI to mod as well. If that's the case I'll just skip 'em and move on to 6 inch versions. I'm tired of working in enclosed spaces :) 

Have you split him already? Because he's easier to split than most of the other figures; His top half is basically unglued.

Thank you guys for all your compliments and comments. Really appreciated!

Attached Files:

9. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Wow, I am amazed at the awesome 3 3/4" IM customs that you guys have been putting out.

These figs make me wish I knew how to do LEDs myself!

10. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

LOL i meant to write he is ALLL hooked up! yes it is positive haha awesome job man again!

11. KooF

KooF Well-Known Member

Nice custom bro, u are too obsessed to LED, u can almost fix it in any toy, aren't u? Awesome as always......Ganbateh!!!!!

12. formula93

formula93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like it! Makes mine look like a non-electrified punk. :bowdown: 

13. a3.trion

a3.trion Transformers Realist

Ebay:
    fakebuskered indeed!

14. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You just need to get started on one and you'd find you cannot stop :) 
    It doesn't take much tools and material, it's more of the practice. Solder iron, solder, wire, LEDs, resistors, glue...

Thanks dude!

I learnt much from you, so you do own some credit. Thanks for the Long Haul tutorial!

Don't worry, it's an awesome punk! If the movie producers have seen that they would have used the design :thumbs2: 

:tongue: 
    a3! So what have you been cooking up lately?

15. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

ok i just attempted this and i am left with

a broken up war machine everything is separate and i cant put it back together

please!!! post a tutorial

16. fallenkia

Thanks for the reply. It is got a screw behind the chest? if i want to open it(chest), what i need to do? and did you put any switch to turn on the LED?

17. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope, there are no screws at all. The figures are permanently glued shut so when you pry them open, you will damage them.

I referenced this tutorial. I only dismantled the upper chest piece and left the waist untouched. Baggzey, to put the chest halves together again I stuck rare earth magnets inside to hold them together.

@fallenkia Yep there's a switch :) 

Hope this helps!

18. fallenkia

THANKS A LOT!!! really appreciate your advise!!!

19. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

This is amazing, I keep forgetting it's 3 3/4 inches, it's that impressive.

20. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Really? Cuz I was thinking of getting a Mark VI to mod as well. If that's the case I'll just skip 'em and move on to 6 inch versions. I'm tired of working in enclosed spaces :) 

Have you split him already? Because he's easier to split than most of the other figures; His top half is basically unglued.

[/QUOTE]

The Mark VI has A LOT less room in the torso! However, I've been looking at the light up version of the Mark VI - he's already got part of the work done for you! Only real drawback, other than changing the LED cause the factory one is orange, is the fact that the torso is one large section, so there's no articulation at the waist or abdomen.
    Now if I could only find fiberoptics that are the right width to run through the arms and light up the repulsor beams in his hands....
    (I think we should start a club for LED addicts...it really becomes an obsession...!)