3:10 To Yuma

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omegatron, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's been a while since a Western came out, and an even longer while since a decent Western. Anyone else planning on seeing it?

-Tony!

2. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Oh yes. Sunday.

Check out Seraphim Falls with Pierce Brosnon and Liam Neeson. Real good recent Western.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    "The Proposition" was also a good recent western, but it was set in the outback.

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

Pretty sure I'm going to go see it.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Definitely. Sunday night, kicking it with the parents. Mom's cleaning my post-divorce house for me, 'cause she's awesome, so the movie's my treat.

'Open Range' is a few years old, but was decent. I really enjoyed 'The Missing' also, but I'm a Tommy Lee Jones fan and I enjoyed the sorta-magic realism style used also.

'The Proposition is near the top of my Netflix queue, I think. We need more Outback movies--'Quigley Down Under' kicked so much ass.

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Batman vs the Gladiator in the old west? Sounds cool to me.

7. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Definatly want to see this.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never really dug westerns, I did dig some of the "man with no name" stuff.

Christian Bale is a whole lot of awesome so I am pretty sure I will give this one a chance.

9. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only like the occasional western flick, but this one may be cool. I doubt I'll go to the theater to see it though, maybe I'll PPV it next year

10. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I have a love hate thing with westerns. On one hand, their awesome. Cowboys going around punching people out and shit. On the other hand every time I think about how awesome cowboys are I begin to worry that I'm turning into my dad.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm interested in watching some westerns also but I have no exposure to them as I'm from an asian country. Can anyone make any recommendations for me? For example, I "heard" that "Unforgiven" which starred Clint Eastwood was decent. Any others?

12. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, after Tombstone, no other westerns did it for me.

Did anyone see the original 3:10 to Yuma?

13. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Not a big fan of westerns mostly just like the good the bad and the ugly fist full of dollars etc etc and the quick and the dead i'll give this one a chance once it hits tv though since Bale and Crowe are in it.

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome awesome awesome, only down side is that there's no release date for Aus yet that I can find. :( 

Still, Western's are cool.

15. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    OK I lied, I went to see it!

Turned out to be a good movie, not surprisingly because the director's done some other cool ones, Identity and Copland being my favorites of his work.

Christian Bale had some really brilliant acting in this IMO.

Only bad part of the whole experience - was of course the crowd. There was a loud ass bitch behind me that wouldn't shut the fuck up through the whole thing, and there were many others laughing through the whole thing as if it was fucking Blazing Saddles. There's maybe 4-5 intentional funny bits at the most, but these people were bellowing through the whole thing. Come on, it's mainly a drama! There was plenty of dry wit and all, particularly in Russel Crowe's character, but it was far from bust your gut type of humor, and I know it certainly wasn't meant to be.

I can't blame it on them being young immature teenagers and such either - I swear, I was the only one in there under the age of 65. Got in rather early so I got to watch the crowd pile in. Nothing but generic old couple after generic old couple. Bald fat guy walking at -10 mph in a Wal-Mart dress shirt and his wife with the Granny 'fro. Yeah. That's not a big deal, whatever, but the way they all acted was...surprising. Just as bad as all the bitchy kids that ruin every other movie.

I'm either going to stop going to theaters, or going in with fucking water balloons or something, seriously, I'm tired of my experience at the movies being ruined by people that won't shut up.

That ATHF movie intro really really needs to start playing before every movie, like, fucking now.

But uh, yeah, the movie was enjoyable IMO. Cool cast, didn't drag, a main character you could really care about due to some awesome acting from Bale, and decently realistic gun battles compared to most modern films (no miracle shots to be found, people actually shot and missed, and they even had to re-load!)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  16. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

westerns can be really boring, or incredable awesome. unforgiven, the proposition, the good the bad and the ugly are among my favorites. I really want to see this too but i doubt i'll see it in theaters because i don't think i know anyone that wants to see this

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I saw it this weekend and liked it, definitely better then most movies out right now that's for sure. I thought it was a good change of pace from what we've seen in a long wile too, slow it down a bit from all the big blockbusters and comedies.

Only thing that was a bit of a letdown for me was *possible spoiler* the ending which I thought wasn't very satisfying.

18. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

Tombstone is great, so is Good Bad and The Ugly and Wild Bunch

although slow at some points, I thought Open Range was pretty good.

19. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Ok Here we go: High Noon, Shane, Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo, The Sons of Katie Elder, A Fist Full of Dollers, For a Few Dollers More, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, The War Wagon, The Comancheros, Hang'em High, Joe Kidd, Two Mules for Sister Sara, High Plains Drifter, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider, Unforgiven, Open Range, Dances with Wolves, Tombstone, The Searchers, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Sons of the Great Bear, The Alamo (both the 1960 film and the 2004 film), 3:10 To Yuma (1957 film), Cat Ballou, Support Your Local Sheriff!, and Support Your Local Gunfighter.

I would also like to recomend checking out the tv show Deadwood as it is one of the best tv westerns I have ever seen, oh and The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. it's a great sci-fi western show. Hope this helps

20. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

OMG, Pale Rider. Forgot about that one. What an awesome movie. Gotta love Eastwood.