2nd grader suspended for drawing stick-figure Jesus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Taunton second-grader suspended over drawing of Jesus - Taunton, MA - The Taunton Gazette

Just a note: this is not meant to be a religious discussion of Christianity or anything of that sort, this is just a discussion of how ridiculously overboard they're going with this.

I draw pictures of dinosaurs eating eachother and eating people, transformers beating the shit out of other transformers and blowing shit up and after reading this article I'm surprised I haven't ended up in Arkham Asylum.

2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

That's ridiculous. I would sue the school.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I can actually see boths sides of this argument. He IS a special needs student (and depending on what those special needs are), so there is reason to proceed with some concern for that student. And yes, drawing a crucified Jesus as the thing you think most about when you picture Christmas may be eye-raising to say the least. However, it seems a tad overblown by both sides. Personally, I think the mental health question is relevant more so than the concerns over issues of possible violent tendencies. Basically, you can't become too upset when teachers show concern for a special needs student, even if that concern isn't to your liking. It's still concern, regardless.

I have to question how this even got out to the press. Was it the school or was it the father looking for an easy lawsuit? And he wasn't really suspended, but not allowed to come back to school until cleared. A big difference, IMO.

4. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Quit being so reasonable. You clearly don't have enough outrage and are hindering the potential of this thread!

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i'll make up for his by going overboard...

Put the Teachers to DEATH!! Give the kid a free pass for life... and money..

6. smkspy

You're right. ::::Goes get my pitchfork:::: The World is doomed!!!!!

7. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Chop the teachers heads off!

DIEEEE

8. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

[​IMG]

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Father. No way would the school comment on something as confidential as this and if it was a teacher, they are breaking the law and could be terminated.

That being said, the story is fairly one sided. I suspect there is more to the story, but you won't hear that from the school.

10. smkspy

Godziboy, I think I love you.

right-clicked saved.

11. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People are fucking stupid.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    at first i thought this was going to be something to do with the whole separation of religion and state buts its just another case of Zero tolerance policy gone too far.
    I side with the father and son,and not allowed to come to school is suspended in my book and the fact the kid is a special needs kid makes it all the more ridiculous in my book as he may not have the same thought processes as a normal 8 year old.
    In my opinion the drawing is totally harmless. not sure a lawsuit is warranted but the school district should apologize

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Oh for Pete's sake...
    [​IMG]

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

And the outrage machine keeps chugging along...

15. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

wow, a psychological evaluation just for that!? stupid. i used to draw pictures of myself in a grave with the head stone filled out saying things like i was weird and r.i.p. and i turned out ok, sorta...

16. red4

red4 Banned

I raise my eyebrow at you. Christmas is about Jesus, you know. It is rare that someone associate Jesus with Christmas, but it's far more rational than what most of us associate Christmas with. Gifts and trees and a fat man in a red suit breaking and entering millions of homes. I'm not complaining about any of that; I'm simply pointing out that your rationale is flawed.

17. smkspy

But it's about his birth and the celebration of what that meant, not his death. Hence, if his death is the thing that someone most associates with the holiday... well I guess it all depends on how much that teacher really knew the child. He could more than have a history of drawing things that are questionable for all we know. Or it could have just been that the teacher was concerned, and the school felt forced to follow the guidelines for this situation. Ultimately, We're reading a very one-sided article about all of this. Either way, it's not an aspect of the holiday that is traditionally emphasized...unless you celebrate christmas at Mel Gibson's house that is.

18. red4

red4 Banned

I didn't mention anything about Jesus's death. I simply mentioned Jesus. Jesus alone, in whatever condition, has more to do with Christmas than trees and fat old guys in red suits do.

19. smkspy

And your point is? I didn't say anything about the Big J being what concerned the teachers. It was the context of the picture and the assignment given to the student that sparked it. I don't think this is a case of religious persecution in a PC culture. I do think it's a case of teachers perhaps being too concern for the stability of a special needs child.

20. red4

red4 Banned

Kid is asked what he thinks of when he hears the word "Christmas". What comes to him is Jesus, regardless of what state Ol' J is in.