Non-TF: 25th GI Joe Skystriker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Optimus Scourge, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    First, I'd like to thank Apacolypse of Cobra Island and Hisstank forums for inspiring me with his awesome custom, and his help getting me going in the right direction to build my own SkyStriker

My son, Austin helped and had a great deal to do with this over the last month or so, he helped paint, sand, and helped peel the labels I cut.

We did leave off some decals, I may add a couple more "no step" stickers, but I'm pleased with the overall appearance.

Since the labels were designed to fit the original SkyStriker mold, the stripes had to be cut to fit appropriately, and around the canopy did not come out as good as I had hoped, but not too bad for my first 'Joe custom :) 

A great father/son experience for sure.

The Elite Operations FA/18 Hornet was completely disassembled for this custom. The paint was Krylon Fusion gloss white, with a Matte clear topcoat for durability. Custom stickers by the one and only J. Ruben.

Comments/crits welcome

Attached Files:

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    That looks good OS and its really cool that you and the son had an experience like this together :thumb 

Are you gonna panel line it?

3. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't really remember what the SkyStriker looked like, but this looks great.
    I hope one day I can have an experience like this with my kids (whenever me & the wife decide to have'em)

4. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    That thing is TIGHT !
    Maybe a little flat black brushed in the intakes would cap it off.
    Regardless, great job !

Mmmm...panel lining - :drool: 

5. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Skystriker

6. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes, I forgot to mention, the original SkyStriker was an F-14, but Hasbro has said the mold is broken and will not be released like a lot of others in the 25th line are getting re-released. But, I think the F/18 looks great this way.

But since this was the only thing close I could find, (no 1/18 F-14's around that I have seen, not for a decent price, anyways, this was $25 at TRU)

Also, the black tail fins are a nod to the original boxart, not the toy. ;) 

Thanks, Panel line, hmm. That would look sweet, and yeah, it was really fun letting my son help, him and I are HOOKED on GI Joe :lol 

I might have to do that to the intakes, thanks!

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    considering the FA-18 super hornet is the F-14's replacement aircraft, you made a good choice. nice job on it too, Gary! :)  Good to see some work of yours.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's neato to see this piece again [I saw it over at Hisstank.com]. I hope to see a lot more from you, buddy! :thumb 

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

That's excellent work. And cool that you involved your son with the project.

10. micheal150

micheal150 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    :)  Love the conversion you did on the F-18 from Ultimate Soldiers Series. It does honor to the original Skystriker plane. I use to have the original one in my child hood days. I don't remember what happen to it.