25th Anniversary Success or Not

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Johnator, Mar 12, 2009.

?

What has impacted the 25th Anniversary?

1. The Economy

10 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. Lack of Effort

49 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. ROTF Movie

39 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. It is fine

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

With the 25th Anniversary in full effect it seems that a lot of people (myself included) are disappointed in what we are getting. I am curious why you may think the 25th Anniversary seems to be getting rather lackluster treatment. Maybe you think it is perfectly fine the way it is? Bad because of the economic predictions? Singular focus on the ROTF movie? A lack of effort on Hasbro's part or perhaps some other factor completely? I am curious what your thoughts are.

2. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I personally think things are a mixed bag to date. Titaniums are fail IMO, half the Universe line that was tagged with the 25th logo was great and then some others that I'm not so sure about: Hot Shot, Cheetor and Dinobot getting the shit stick... Reissue Prime with crappy colors and an even crappier price tag of 70$.

Tit's are totally based on my own opinion so meh. Universe Cheets is okay as a toy but his deco left a little to be desired. Universe Dinobot, seriously, that deco is total WTF. Universe Hot Shot just got cheated out of his weapons and again WITH THE CRAPPY DECO. Reissue Prime, nuff said. Really I just think Hasbro has been incredibly cheap this year and that's super lame.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ask me again in about six months, please. It's a bit tricky to judge when we're only a couple of months into the year.

However, I'll say this: we're already doing better than the 20th anniversary. IDW isn't going belly-up like Dreamwave was, the show in spite of the spectre of cancellation is actually good and has real time and effort put into it, and the convention is coming along well, not like in 2004 when the OTFCC was marred exclusives that were not ready in time for the show and an organiser who'd basically run the show into the ground.

Compared to that, I think we're doing pretty well, and if RotF delivers on the promise of another blockbuster, the franchise will go through its 25th year on a high note that will propel it strongly towards the big 3-0.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    While I know it's a different toy line, I feel that Hasbro treated G.I. Joe's anniversary better thus far.

5. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd agree that G.I. Joe has gotten the better end of things from Hasbro. Looking at all the new Joes in stores, it actually looks like Hasbro CARES about promoting the anniversary of a relevant toy line that also happens to be having a film come out later this year. You know, not that any of their other signature lines can claim that. Oh wait...

It is still early, but I was hoping for a little bit of effort. This includes Takara too (though at least we're getting Bruticus and MP Grimlock from them). Even if figures weren't coming out already, at least leak the plans for them to whet fans' appetites a bit. Maybe use Botcon or Toyfar or even ComicCon to confirm there release later this year. Maybe a few reissues we didn't think we'd ever see again. Maybe a semi-surprise addition to Animated that people have speculated may not be likely (Omega Supreme, perhaps). A few more Classics molds of characters we've yet to see. Another Masterpiece that's really slick and doesn't have a jacked up price, or MP releases from Hasbro that people have been calling for. Hell, show a little creativity and pop out something I'm not thinking of or anyone else isn't thinking of to show you're trying. Slapping a foil stamp with '25th Anniversary' on figures that were coming out anyways is not a way to celebrate a 25th Anniversary. Don't patronize me with a foil stamp. The first season G1 DVD is a nice surprise (even if it's not directly from Hasbro), assuming it does come out. I don't even count the RotF toys, not because I don't like the film or toys (I do), but that was coming out anyways so slapping a 25th Anniversary stamp on those two and considering that part of Hasbro's 'effort' to celebrate the franchise would also be ridiculous and lazy.

I know the economy sucks, but Hasbro, show some effort damn it. And don't rely on Takara to bail your asses out with a few sweet reissues, Henkeis and or Masterpieces at the end of the year either.

6. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I'll chime in and say GI Joe is how you do a full-on 25th anniversary line. Honestly it's amazing how fan-oriented and near-perfect that line is.

Think of it this way, though.

In my mind, Classics has kind of been 25th anny all along. Classics as a whole more or less -has- been on the level of the Joe line. If they were to have held out all of the Classics figures, and released them starting at wave one and called it the Anny line, we would be talking about just how awesome the 25th line is....but they blew the wad with the first two Classics lines, and the final waves, with Cylconus on got the little silver corner, when to me that's what Classics has been the whole time. Heck, they should do a filler wave of Classics 1.0 stuff that was popular and tag it 25th. That would sell alot more Gun Megs alone.

7. KARR

KARR Roving Robot

It's hard to say right now. On one hand, I don't feel like anything really special is happening, but that might change. On the other, I see all the updated figures we've gotten from the Universe 2.0 line and I think it's pretty cool! Legends Cosmos, Cyclonus with Nightstick, Hound with Ravageā€”I get the impression that these figures were made for the fans. I love Classics/Universe, including the Cybertron repaints! I really hope this line continues.

So as far as the 25th goes, I guess I'm content with what we've gotten so far, and If ROTF is a good movie, that'll help.

8. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the GIJoe treatment to us non-GIJoe collectors?

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Where's the 'poor decision-making and management' option?

10. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I'd vote this and/or general apathy. Either the ones behind this had absolutely no clue what they were doing, or they generally didn't give a flying flip about it. Maybe a mix of both?

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think it that if Universe had had the 25th logo all along, then people would've been like, "hey, here was a whole line of 25th GIJoe-esque figures for transformers."

On another note, repaints of old shlefwarmer figures were/are fail. As was the 25th Optimus reissue at a huge price.

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Huge missed opportunity as they did it halfheartedly as they knew they were killing it anyway as soon as the Movie crap was going to hit.

13. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    This...transformers is like the red-headed step child that gets stuck at home alone wondering WTF is going on....

Why do you launch a 25th anniversary celebration and then just stop a couple minutes later to start promoting the movie line?

what ...hasbro cannot print 25th anniversary on the corner of the movie boxes...tie it into the whole celebration..not eviscerate the whole celebration to focus on the movie line....

FAIL!!

14. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    The quote below is composed mainly of pure truth. There is no way to judge the 25th Anniversary just yet. We are in March of 2009. The whole YEAR of 2009 is celebrating the 25th anniversary. There's no need to jump the gun and call it a failure just yet. Even if this year IS a failure, We'll make it through to the 30th anniversary regardless. The fandom has survived worse things.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I agree. However, essentially I enter this discussion based on what we can see for the foreseeable future (which is pretty decently into 2009, though not the whole year). I don't see this thread as a "year in review", more of a "how're we doing thus far based on what we know."

Also, myself and a few others have mentioned the 25th Joe line. It just seems to me that there was a WHOLE lot more effort systematically to celebrate a brand in that camp. If you don't know, simply go to your local retail outlet and look at the current Joe offerings. I only have a handful of figures (because I'm not a "Joe collector"), but it doesn't take too much to compare/contrast both lines' celebration.

16. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

Yes it's early, but it's early for G.I. Joe too and if you're a Joe collector, you should be doing backflips by now. I'm not a Joe collector, but I bought a ton of them as a kid, and occasionally walk through the Joe stuff and think 'wow, that's cool that they did ___.' Then I walk back to the Transformers and bitch that I can't find Legends Cosmos (if that particular store even carries the new Legends at all).

Plus, the Animated series' upcoming end, the toy line's postponement/cancellation/purgatory status and overall mishandling of that entire series, amidst this uninspiring 25th Anniversary 'effort' from Hasbro, is like a kick in the nuts that just adds to the disgruntlement (if you like Animated, at least).

Plus, with some people mentioning Classics as a sort of 25th Anniversary line in its entirety, going back to 1.0...yes this is true. Hasbro all put this line on hiatus. So, following the above logic, Hasbro just put its own 25th Anniversary on hold. And one of its few signature items (the 25th Anniversary Prime reissue) actually came out late last year.

So yeah, I'm not enthusiastic that things will necessary get better. I'm hopeful...but it's still Hasbro running things. Good luck with that.

17. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Under this train of thought...if this year is disaster, you're assuming seeing the 30th Anniversary 'celebration' will be a good thing? Maybe we'll get 30th Anniversary Ultra Magnus, with built-in yellowed white plastic while Classics 3.0/4.0 gets put on hold so Hasbro churns out a toy line because Michael Bay's making a direct-to-DVD fourth Transformer film because he's broke/desperate/whatever.

Heheh, sorry, couldn't resist. Yes we'll surive. And, should this 25th Anniversary not go as some of us would like it, Hasbro will have five years to learn from their mistakes and do it right the next time.

They'll also have five years to figure out how to screw it up in al new ways. Not that I'm cynical or anything.

18. RayH

RayH Well-Known Member

No way thats what joe fans have had to deal with, if it's been anyone the joe line has always been the red-headed step child. GI-Joe-pre 25th line has had it rough... I've been collecting joes [well besides playing with hem as a kid] since they started re-issues back in 1997. The joe line has had just like the absolute minumum put into it since then, it's hobbled along.

We got crappy vintage re-issues that were just a bunch of left over parts, that eventually evolved to some old sculpt decent re-issues like the comic packs and old school cobra troopers and cgs.

Then we got horrible New sculpt joe figures, the very first new sculpt joes were IMO the worst joe figures ever made. Horrible giant monkey armed misproprtioned crap. And thats pretty much what happened til the tail end of the new sculpt joes when they finally started getting good at doing new figures....

but then the line was dropped from regular retail. and they switched over to the direct to consumer on-line exclusive format....

that was cancled early and the last wave never even made it out [not till master collector did it]. Then the 3 3/4 joe line was taken completly off for more than a year no 3 3/4 joe products were released.

Then a miracle happened the 25th anniversery joe line. It's just the absolute ultimate joe line, i'm just so in shock how awesome it is compared to all the crap weve had since 1997. The Joe line has always been the bastard child at hasbro, when Transformers and star wars get all the love. It's just been so awesome to see how much ass-stomping the 2th line has done. It was originally just supposed to be two five packs but it steamrolled into so much more. It's great to have the joe line being treated so well.

Tranformers has always had all the cartoons as well since beast wars, while the joes have just had the sigma six, and those crappy valor vs venom dvd movie ones. We may finally get some cartoon love with resolute if it ever comes out finally.

Anyways back to the Transformers 2th line yeah i was actually pretty let down as well, when we first heard about it from botcon it sounded so awesome cause the joe 2th line had kicked so much ass i was expecting the same thing with tfs.

I mean i know it's ultimatly just the same thing they've been doing with classics just under a different name, but i was hoping it'd have a bit more life. It wasn't really marketed as much either like the joe line.

19. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

feel as though ROTF is the biggest problem (as I voted in the poll) when it comes to the current backburner status of Universe and the 25th anniversary as a whole.

The anniversary year was meant to be a year full of win, but unless you're willing to go ROTF all the way, you're pretty much up shit creek without a paddle.

Universe did a wonderful job of reviving some really great characters and giving them a new lease on plastic life, but it's only accepted by a certain few groups. (Kids not among them, really.)

Animated is the best series to come down the line yet, but it too is taking a back seat to ROTF, and it hasn't been part of the TF world long enough to really fit in the Anniversary celebration.

ROTF will bring in the bucks, plus a movie, and the public will take notice of it long before they'll pay a bit of attention to Universe or Animated.

I believe Hasbro wanted to have a better year with some major surprises, but once the economy hit the bottom of the barrel attached to the bottom of the shitter....they just went where the money is, and said screw it.

This year is said to be even worse economically speaking, but some folks (not many, granted) expect 2010 to be on the upswing of things, so we might finally see what we've been waiting for next year.

I dunno. I wouldn't say the Anniversary year has been a massive failure by any means, but it certainly isn't in the win column either.

20. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    They are waiting for the 50th anniversary to get shit going and make a big deal lol....