25th Anniversary Prime. To open or not to open.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Screamer52488, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Screamer52488

Screamer52488 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've had him since the end of last year and he's been in his box. I've moved since and going through my boxes and came across him and althought I originally planned on getting 2 when they went on clearance at my Walmart they went so fast I missed it. I like the looks in box but it's teasing me to open it. I usually open all my TFs unless it's a commemerative or something special. Like my TRU classics Soundwave, still in box but was able to get 2 of those. So I need peoples opinion. Do I open him and hope he doesn't go for big money down the line or play it safe and keep him in his cardboard prison? I wouldn't sell him regardless but bragging I had one in box a few years from now if he goes up would be cool. Even if I could open him without major damage to the inside blister so I could rebox him if I chose would be nice but it looks like it would have to be torn off the backing to get the accessories out. Decisions, decisions.

2. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

I opened it, but kept the box intact. Wish I would've done the same with my Pepsi Prime though. He's worth opening though. Very cool toy.

3. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    You kept it in box this long, might as well continue.

Will it "go for big money down the line"? I doubt it. I paid $21 for mine at K-Mart a couple of weeks ago.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

If you're only worried about money and what his future potential worth is, then don't open. If you want to play around with the original Prime in all his reissued glory, break that sucker open. Of course, if you already have a G1 Prime or reissue, the issue is rather moot.

And on the future price thing: TFC #0, 15th anni, New Years Convoy, TRU original reissue, and Encore. The 25th Anni reissue is at the bottom of the reissue totem pole.

5. Screamer52488

Ebay:
    See I have Pepsi Prime and opened it real carefull and noticed that he and all his parts were just molded into the plastic blister in the box so I could just pop him out to display and pop him back in and not be able to tell he was ever taken out. Not the case with 25th Prime.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I took my 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime out of his box. I took extra care in opening the box, because I wanted to keep the box and keep it as intact as I possibly can. Not that I expect to sell him down the road, but just because it's a special toy.

7. Screamer52488

Ebay:
    I don't collect for future sales as anyone who knows me knows I rarely sell anything and I don't have the original. Always wanted one as a kid but never landed him which is the main reason I bought this one. All the previous reissues were done before I got back into collecting about 2 years ago. I do have MP Prime and the takara pepsi prime which I thought would tide me over and leave this one in its box but I don't think its working.

8. Screamer52488

Ebay:
    This is exactly my point, I'm never going to sell him. It's just that it is a special 25th anniversary.

9. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

free your toys!

10. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I have one open and one kept MISB. With this figure, opening him only leads to dissapointment IMO. He looks great in box, but when next to the "real deal" version, he is a poor representation. In box he makes a great display, and It is a little trickier than most of the others getting his bits and pieces out (rollar, voice thingy) without a little more major knife surgery.

11. Screamer52488

Ebay:
    Also noticed some seem like mine to have a flap over the front
    of the box with a comic and some don't. Is one more rare than the other? I'm leaning toward opening him, I realized that my box isn't as mint as it could be. I'm going to keep the box anyway but I do like hearing everyones opinion. Keep it coming.

12. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Up to you. I keep a lot of my stuff in boxes just because it's easier to store, but I take them out and "feature" them in my studio once in a while. I don't think that particular version will go up much in value, as there are three superior versions with a 4th on the way, but who knows...stranger things have happened.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Keep this one sealed and get a loose G1 OP. That's the route I went.

14. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that is one of the few I am keeping in the actual box. Somewhere down the road I plan to get MP Prime so I will then regret opening this one. See my point? And it does look bloody good in that box.

15. Screamer52488

Ebay:
    After doing some searching online I can pretty much find him almost every site that sells tfs. I'm thinking mines being opened and I can still order another to keep in box. I'm sure of I got one from hts or target.com or any other online retailer I saw him available on will probably send me one in a better box than the I currently have. I know one thing, I open him and long stacks will be ordered because short stacks on OP will have no place in my collection!

16. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sell him and then buy the Encore version.

17. newguy

newguy i

use a razor blade to cut the tape, and keep the box in a safe place.

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Free the toy.

19. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to recap

I pretty much agree with everyone here:
    -open him, keep the box in tact (it's still a pretty good looking box)
    -it won't be worth much as they continue t pimp sh*t out of this mold (Soundwave's not far behind) so forget about this one as an "investment"
    -get the Encore version too/instead
    -get replacement stacks for him, as no one likes a neutered Autobot leader. Heck you can even put him back in the box with the longer stacks

Think of him more as your "in addition to" versus you "primary" G1 Optimus. My 25th Anniv. version is sitting on my desk at home, while my main display shelf will house Encore Prime (currently on the way) in all his properly coloured glory

20. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Open him. With all the reissued G1 Primes there are, the 25th reissue isn't going to be "serious investment" material.

Just enjoy him.