25TH ANN. PRIME. Not priced for kids?! (short rant)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by encline, Oct 29, 2008.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey everyone. I just went to wal-mart and saw the 25th Anni Prime. It is pretty much a re-issue of g1 prime. But it has a DVD and comic. The chest is a different color than the body by the way:( 
    This thing is priced at $70.00 !!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!! Are you telling me that a kid or a parent that nows nothing of TFs is going to look at the OTHER UNIVERSE DELUXE, VOYAGERS, ULTRAS, ANY ANIIMATED, AND HECK, EVEN SOME OF THE LEGENDS,and say.."you know, I am going to spend $70.00 on this pice of crap!!"
    Don't get me wrong, I am a Prime guy. Anything g1 Prime or g1-ish Prime I will buy. But I can not justify this one.
    So, it appears that Hasbro has priced this one for us older collectors. But, they saw the e-bay Prices and made it a little to much!! I could see maybe $40.00. But, a supreme Unicron for $50.00, which contains much more.
    Anyway..... is there any one not getting this guy untill it goes on clearance?

2. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, i agree...way too pricey, and with that pink chest piece, not worth it....yeah, im definitely gonna wait til it hits clearance to get it, if at all...im happy with my encore, so i dunno if i even want this...seriously, pink chest?

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I have no plans to get him, but I honestly have no problem with the price. For what you're getting, $70 isn't that bad, imo. Not only are you getting a full G1 Optimus Prime reissue, you are getting a reprint of the comic book, the first three episodes on DVD, and a voice box with Optimus Prime phrases voiced by Peter Cullen. All worth it imo if I had enough interest in getting the G1 Optimus Prime mold.

4. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    well i guess its WORTH it, when u look at the stuff included with it..but like encline says, its not really priced for kids...but then again, i dont think kids would really find this reissue that cool? i dunno...

5. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I agree that its a bit overpriced, but if I didn't already have a G1 prime I'd think about picking it up on clearance.

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm waiting for clearence on this as I don't have a G1 Prime but the price feels very steep.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think $50 would have been a fine price. Seventy is too much to me, but if I didn't have any version of G1 Prime I would certainly pay it and not wait around until Clearance. The problem is that waiting for it to hit clearance isn't going to send Hasbro the message that it's overpriced, they'll just think that nobody is interested in reissues or box sets.

8. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to hold off on this. Probally gonna pick it up early dec late nov. Right now I have Unicron, Blaster, Magnus and Powerglide ahead of him. However when I get my extra 10% off coupon at work, I'll pick him up. He'll be around 50-60 with the discounts. Less if he is on clearance.

9. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

Ehh...what were they thinking painting him that color. Damn he looks awful.

10. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I'd get it for five bucks.

11. mecha

mecha Banned

i still personally believe this is aimed at collectors more than for kids...the comic and DVD both date back to a time that would make a kid today say "huh"...plus it has been boxed to look more like it is being pawned towards the collectible market more than for a general kid product...don't get me wrong....i still believe that kids will get it bought by their parents for the holidays...i just think that hasbro is trying to get that G1 collector back in the warm fuzzy area with this transformer...i believe they would have rolled out G1 megs in the same way if they could have....

12. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    He isnt as bad as a $70.00 Wheelie now is he?

And about the pink chest piece.... Maybe Prime wanted to show his support to breast cancer perhaps?

13. mecha

mecha Banned

that price point is too high though...

200th post...yeah!

14. mecha

mecha Banned

lead free paint FTW!

15. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    It's not pink! It's...salmon-colored. A lightish-red. But yeah, $70 is steep as hell. So I'm gonna get it for Christmas instead! Let my parents bitch about the pricing and not me! :p 

16. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

The different color chest throws me off a little. When I try to display it since I'm keeping it MISB, I'm gonna try to angle it so it would be harder to see.

17. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I've got TFC #00 Prime and Pepsi Prime, that's enough G1 Prime for me. But if I were in the market for this figure... eh, even at $60 I might still bite. $70 is a weird number in my head, far too close to costing $100, strange associations like that.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I have no problem spending what is often viewed to be too much money on Transformers, and often go to questionable lengths to justify it, but nothing about that tiny, miscolored, excessively re-released brick with chopped off smoke stacks makes me even consider dropping $70 (probably closer to $80 or $90 once it shows up in Canada). Maybe, just maybe, if they released it with a remolded head ala that iPod version that Takara did and reinstated the proper sized smokestacks, I would have thought about it. But as it is, the box might as well just say "Flagrant Money Grab".

It's always an up & down ride with Hasbro. One minute they're blowing us away with some seriously wicked product, then the next minute they go down in a ball of flames with things like this, weird ass paint choices, etc. Repeat ad nauseum. I often feel like I'm in a dysfunctional relationship with this company :) 

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can see him being featured prominently in holiday toy sales. Most of the high-buck Transformers are at some point in the season. Wait for that if $70 is too steep for you.

20. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Honestly,

I don't see him reaching a clearance price because of Xmas.