25 years from now....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Im No Hero, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Im No Hero

Im No Hero ze best reader

News Credits:
    im sitting here right now with toys like drift, hailstorm, mindwipe, inferno, alt mirage and some other great toys from recent years and it got me thinking. 25 years from now what toys will we look back on and be glad we kept or will make you a pretty penny on the after market. Id say alot of alternators will be worth some good money like ravage and mirage, but what about generations, uni 2.0, rotf, or animated?

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I don't think anything will be too expensive, considering how distribution is much better now and collectors are more widespread.

3. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I agree.

It also depends on how much takara/hasbro keep re-releasing & re-issuing certain figures. It also depends on how many repaints,remolds toys get.

Those beastwars toys are barely worth the retail prices thanks to all the re-releases,recolors & reissues. only the ultra sized toys are worth something on ebay.

thinking 25 years ahead is kinda depressing,as we'll all be 25 years older by then.

right now i'm young & i'll think for today & enjoy everything while i'm still young to enjoy it.

I honestly don't collect TF toys for future profit gains. I'd rather collect gold bars & see how much their worth 25 years from now.

4. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    I can see them re-release everything that's come out in the last few years Chug-wise. Several times.

Kids keep being born and they need Transformers to play with!

5. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Forecasting that far into the future is hard, since so many things could change and it'll be hard to anticipate the direction the franchise and the market for recent stuff will turn...buuuuuuttt, just taking a guess for the fun of it:

Classics could be in demand because so many of them are figures that collectors raised on G1 have been hoping to see for some time and so many of them have been well-received (the Henkei releases judged to be slightly better than the Hasbro releases could also be prized items).

Alternators will probably be in demand too due to the G1 references and how well the toys were received by collectors.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Movieverse stuff catches fire, by either a certain corner of the fanbase or a large(r than expected?), younger portion because that will function as their "G1," for all intents and purposes, and be the toys that make them nostalgic for their childhood. Twenty-five years from now, some people could be defending the giant Devastator toy that many of us now are rather disatisfied with because of the happy memories it brought to their early years.

Animated could have a hardcore fanbase similar to Beast Wars. It'll be interesting to see how Hasbro treats Animated going forward, given a solid number of people (including those within Hasbro, judging by some statements made at Botcon at one of the panels) who loved Animated and will hope it gets more more love than what Beast Wars has been afforded (to this point, of course).

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP-04..... :thumbs2: 

Sure, MP Convoy has been released a ton of times but only ONE is the perfect edition:rock 

7. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    ha! I'll only be 38

8. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have thought about this before and even though many many people will disagree, I think all the movie based toys will be the hot item 25 years from now for one reason, they are what got so many kids started on Transformers. The movie toys based on three movies that spanned at least 6 years are big part of some kids' childhood.

9. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    BW Terrorsaur would like a word with you. The majority of BW figs are no where near retail price.

I agree with you to an extent; SOME movie figures will be sought after. I can't imagine figures like Voyager Ratchet to be too in demand.

10. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Well I suppose I need to jump on that Movie/Animated bandwagon too! I think that it was a good point in saying that these lines are going to be what's kicked it off for the new generation, so yeah, that would be like their G1. Plus, how much of an impact do you think it's making on their minds having not one animated, but three live action movies to grow up with?

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    1 word Botcon

figures that are rare to start with will have much better odds to increase in value than a retail release. also Japanese store exclusives.

12. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't forget Rattrap too.

Perhaps the more screen-accurate versions of movie characters will be more sought after? Even with someone like Ratchet, that leaves only the original Voyager and Best Buy Premium version (plus the recent Deluxe) if I remember correctly, since every other Deluxe/Voyager release has differed greatly from his on-screen appearance.

13. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    the fansproject stuff gonna go up in value EXTREMELY!!!

classics will, almost everything will go up at least double retail probably.....except tuner mudflap, he will be...THE RAREST OF THEM ALL!!!!

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Twenty-five years from now everyone will probably have their own desktop 3D printer and just download and print out any molds they want and assemble them themselves (metal pins, screws and paint sold separately :p  ).

Really it's hard to tell. Did any of us back in 1884 think we could still buy certain G1 molds minty new via Encore and whatever?
    I actually don't think it will be any one line that will be the one that returns time and again but a mixture of everything wth the occasional certain figure that keeps regularly popping up. Trends change and everyone jumps into Transformers at different points in their life and will want those from their first TF experience back to buy anew.

That's pretty much my un-answer answer. :) 

15. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its really hard to say. sometimes a toy get popular for wierd or stupid reasons that no one can predict.

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In 25 years, people won't transform them by hand.
    [​IMG]
    "You've got to use your hands? It's like a baby's toy!!"

17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

FansProject and Botcon.

There will also be a couple of random mainstream rarities that creep in too. As Rigas said, very hard to predict what those will be. Possibly some shortpacked deluxe figures?

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Right now, they do have 3D printers, but just about... say 50k+ to have one, and cart. not included :p  There is no one ever a single production will cost more than mass produce though =)

I don't really care if my collection goes up or down in value. I collect because I like.

19. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I don't think there will be much of a collectors market larger than todays, and wouldn't count on price increases.

There will always be a figure with poor distribution or with some rarity, but with the quality of today's designs reissues will be increasingly available if there is a perceived demand. The same way we got a Bumblebee 3 pack - with animated, classics and movie toys - they'll be able to bring back all sorts of re-colours and repacks for the for see-able future to address fan demand.

Enjoy the hobby for what it is. But don't expect it to be like the Diaclone and G1 stuff where the original molds have been lost.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's today's 3D printer technology and prices though. I was talking about in twenty-five years when such things will probably be far easier and cheaper to produce and use. If they were as common as normal desktop printers are now then the price would be drastically reduced, especially if everyone was using them to print off more than just Transformers toys.
    Anyways, it was really just a joke answer with a small edge of possible eventual happening to it. It could still happen. But then we all thought by now we would be eating entire meals in the form of a simple pill and flying to work with jetpacks, but that's not become the norm either.